Robert Plant interview with Esquire Magazine

How the hell do you think he feels when he's trying to promote an album and tour and he still gets the same questions about Zeppelin when that's obviously not where he wants to go?

Why should he care? It's not like Raising Sand is being actively ignored for Zep. He just got a grammy!!

Ah, you're right. I found this entry in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennents

Now I know what to keep stocked in case he drops by for a beer. :drunk:

Tennent's is good stuff. Never tried the Tennent's Super though - it's hard enough finding the regular lager.

It's very hard to believe that Pagey doesn't drink anymore though! :o Didn't Nuno Bettencourt say that Jimmy told him he stockpiled his own supply of a certain potent moonshine from Portugal?!

“I really enjoyed playing with my friends [Led Zeppelin], and we are a lot closer because of it. But the responsibility, the whole deal…it’s a whole different thing to what I’m doing with Alison.”

Plant then continued adding: “I was singing the same, better, last night. I could go to certain places. But with Alison, it’s not about that. It’s about being comely. That’s where I’m bound.”

This was the day after the show and he can't stop yapping about "Alison".... whatever.

That's because he and Alison have a new album out and they are starting a tour shortly. :)

If you're sick of hearing about Alison, then I suggest you shouldn't read or listen to any more Plant interviews until after September. Of course, then after some R&R, he may start talking about his next upcoming project.......with Strange Sensation. :D

That's because he and Alison have a new album out and they are starting a tour shortly. :)

If you're sick of hearing about Alison, then I suggest you shouldn't read or listen to any more Plant interviews until after September. Of course, then after some R&R, he may start talking about his next upcoming project.......with Strange Sensation. :D

^^Agreed myledzep! I am so sick of people criticising his current project with Alison! Whether you like it or not, can we all please just be happy for him? Like Jimmy said, wait until September and we shall all see what happens then. B)

Oh I TOTALLY understood what he meant... My opinion was that the true self-indulgence was Robert's foray into all these things that, were it not for Zeppelin, would probably not achieve the level of success that comes along with the tag "of Led Zeppelin fame" attached to it. He is able to go off and play instruments in the desert, play obscure roots numbers with Alison Kraus, and bring together any band members he would like to play with due to the fact that he was in Led Zeppelin... and have these things be almost guaranteed a certain level of success.

All performance is self-indulgence, whether it's an actor, a musician or a painter. Robert Plant is no different to anyone else in this respect, except that he has been more successful than most. But he shouldn't be punished for that.

What else is he supposed to do, anyway, change his name? No matter what he does, Zeppelin will follow, and that's not necessarily his fault, or indulgence. JP and JPJs solo albums are no different, and Jason Bonham's stuff too. If it wasn't for the name Bonham no-one would care. I don't think it's self-indulgence though, it's just a fact. They were Led Zeppelin, and now they do other things, and their fans from LZ support those new ventures.

Funny, I've never enjoyed reading what Robert Plant has to say.

I always get the feeling that he either doesn't want to accept or doesn't understand

the magnitude of Led Zeppelin.

He definitely doesn't embrace it, like Page or Jones do.

I'm getting a little tired of hearing Plant bring up Alison Krauss everytime he's talking about Zeppelin lately.

We all know your touring with her, give it a rest already.

I still love ya', Robert. But your a pain in the arse.

Why? He's CURRENTLY working with Alison and very excited about the success of the album and taking it on the road. The 02 concert was a one time deal. At least that's how it stands now. I do think Robert very much embraces Led Zeppelin but he's all about being in the present which is this project with Alison. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

You are, I believe, way off the mark. I honestly think Robert is very protective of Led Zeppelin and all it stands for. You only had to read the Uncut interview in September to know how highly he rates them (the best). The fact that he doesn't want to tour is not an indication that he has no idea of how Led Zeppelin means to many people - he is fully aware of that and he wants to keep the legacy intact. I can only applaud him for not chasing the easy money.

Can I get an Amen? Eye thank yew!! Here's a term: "Artistic integrity". An artist, and surely Robert is one and a fan himself, must forge ahead. God bless him for exploring new avenues and not caving to the whiners who want to have their cake and eat it too. O2 was for Ahmet. It wasn't a gross act of self-indulgence. It pains me that people who call themselves fans would want an artist to compromise their muse to satisfy their fans' selfish desires. Hey guys, if Zep hadn't done something magical and moved you, you wouldn't be here. When is enough enough? When they say so, not you. If they are moved to do it, great! But after all this time it's about them, not you. They've EARNED the right to do what moves them, even if they don't agree unanimously to what that is! Dues paid. Debt squared. Follow your bliss boys!! :beer:

You are, I believe, way off the mark. I honestly think Robert is very protective of Led Zeppelin and all it stands for. You only had to read the Uncut interview in September to know how highly he rates them (the best). The fact that he doesn't want to tour is not an indication that he has no idea of how Led Zeppelin means to many people - he is fully aware of that and he wants to keep the legacy intact. I can only applaud him for not chasing the easy money.

Why the hell should he? His current project with Alison has been in the making a lot longer than the O2 gig. How the hell do you think he feels when he's trying to promote an album and tour and he still gets the same questions about Zeppelin when that's obviously not where he wants to go?

This interview was based on Dec.11,07,the cmt crossroads program filmed before that. There have been severval interviews since. Kashmir is the song Robert last said he would do at the MSG go listen ,Read the lyrics----Robert Plant is deeper then anyone is seeming to want to see at the moment.Krauss is NOT the conclusion to what Robert is about.

This interview was based on Dec.11,07,the cmt crossroads program filmed before that. There have been severval interviews since. Kashmir is the song Robert last said he would do at the MSG go listen ,Read the lyrics----Robert Plant is deeper then then ,anyone is seeming to want to see at the moment.Krauss is NOT the conclusion to what Robert is about.

Hello big blue type, lol!

I think the point is that Led Zeppelin is not the conclusion of what Robert is about. Krauss is the current chapter. Who knows what the next may be?

Well I still think he is "doing her". Why the f-ck else would he be doing this flower child backwoods boring music? Did you hear them beat Black Dog to fu--ing death? How can you like that? How? Lots of weed and booze maybe.

Couldn't disagree more my friend! I find the effort vibrant and moving. And no, they aren't doing the carnal thing. She's married with children. Anyway, we can agree to disagree on whether we like it. That doesn't mean we can't still be friends! Here's to you! :beer:

Couldn't disagree more my friend! I find the effort vibrant and moving. And no, they aren't doing the carnal thing. She's married with children. Anyway, we can agree to disagree on whether we like it. That doesn't mean we can't still be friends! Here's to you! :beer:

Im drinking Blue Moon. someone here said she has been divorced for some time bro

Blue Moon Belgian White Ale?? Yummy! Squeeze a little tangerine into it!

PM sent about the other stuff, but no, they're not dating.

Yeah Ev, Im starting to like the stuff. Expensive a bit. Good taste. someone else told me about putting an orange in it. I am waiting for the pm. hasnt come through yet.

Yeah Ev, Im starting to like the stuff. Expensive a bit. Good taste. someone else told me about putting an orange in it. I am waiting for the pm. hasnt come through yet.

Typed it after I posted. You should have it now. The bit I wish to share is:

Robert's just expanding his musical horizons where he finds his muse directing him.

And to add, he should be permitted to. He's given us so much, hell that's why we're here for heaven's sake! It's his journey. We all are entitled to our journeys. Know what I mean? :beer:

Can someone tell me if this is an excerpt from a larger article please?

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. From nme.com:

Led Zeppelin's lead singer, Robert Plant, has spoken out for the first time about his experience at the band's O2 reunion gig last year (December 10).

The 'Golden God' - in a just published interview - said they were just as good on the night as they were in their prime.

Speaking to Esquire Magazine the morning after the show (December 11) Plant said: "It was ramshackle, casual, nervous, overblown, a little self-indulgent – it was all the things we ever were. We were the genuine thing last night."

He added: "We're not some ambivalent dross that pours into the charts by being some sort of valium for the middle-aged. It was a very decent and exciting visitation."

Revealing further details about the event Plant admitted he did not warm up before gig saying: "We did two songs at a soundcheck the day before, and they were pretty hot. But yesterday [December 10] I had to keep very, very quiet. I didn't want to talk. I just lay in a dark room playing my little ukulele, going: "If I was in Mali, it wouldn't be like this."

After the gig Plant had only one thing on his mind, grabbing a drink.

The singer said: "I was trying to find the special brew. My children are always embarrassed when I get on the Tenant's Super, and the other guys, well none of them drink. So I just had a drink, gave everybody big hugs, saw my family, took in a bit of, I guess, nostalgia."

Plant also revealed that the whole evening seemed like a bit of a blur saying: "In the middle of all that effort, there were so many little flashbacks that I didn't expect. I couldn't put a form to a lot of it: it was just there. I thought: this is really cute, all these fucking old blokes huddled round John's [bonham] son."

Concluding the interview Plant remained adamant that a world tour would not happen saying he wanted to concentrate on his project with Alison Kraus.

He said: "I really enjoyed playing with my friends [Led Zeppelin], and we are a lot closer because of it. But the responsibility, the whole deal…it's a whole different thing to what I'm doing with Alison."

Plant then continued adding: "I was singing the same, better, last night. I could go to certain places. But with Alison, it's not about that. It's about being comely. That's where I'm bound."

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/34301

the other guys, well none of them drink
:unsure:

Did I hear that right? That's amazing.... and good for them!

by snapper:

I still love ya', Robert. But your a pain in the arse.

LOL

I don't think Robert needs the money. He is in the position to do whatever he want's.

It makes me sad but I can understand why he does what he does.

Roberts got to be happy with Robert.

This interview was done the day after the concert and there has been interviews fresher then this one indicating that the sands shift from time to time with Robert. ;)

I am going to try to be patient and wait until the last of the year before chucking all my Plant CD's in the trashbin. lol. Just kidding. B)

Hello big blue type, lol!

I think the point is that Led Zeppelin is not the conclusion of what Robert is about. Krauss is the current chapter. Who knows what the next may be?

I am not even going to say any more for now as...~KASHMIR~{ SAYS IT ALL!}

All performance is self-indulgence, whether it's an actor, a musician or a painter. Robert Plant is no different to anyone else in this respect, except that he has been more successful than most. But he shouldn't be punished for that.

What else is he supposed to do, anyway, change his name? No matter what he does, Zeppelin will follow, and that's not necessarily his fault, or indulgence. JP and JPJs solo albums are no different, and Jason Bonham's stuff too. If it wasn't for the name Bonham no-one would care. I don't think it's self-indulgence though, it's just a fact. They were Led Zeppelin, and now they do other things, and their fans from LZ support those new ventures.

Of course I never implied that Robert should be punished. All I was saying is that I am of the opinion that Robert's prior successes give him much more creative license than the average bear and he takes full advantage of that fact. However, it IS self indulgence for him to explore the depths of musical creativity that he has. Not that it is a bad thing in and of itself, but him saying the O2 show was self-indulgent is somewhat misleading as it was just as self-indulgent as 90% of Robert's solo stuff.

But anyway... Robert has talked out of both sides of his mouth about Zeppelin for years, so who knows what will happen.

I'm a huge fan of natural wheat beer, particularly the German kind but also the Belgian. 12-packs of Paulaner are quite reasonable in price and very good. I prefer a lemon wedge in my wheats. :beer:

As for Robert and Alison, the sound is good but certainly not like the blues-based acid rock that we all know and love. Raising Sand sets a particular mood and I'm sure the concerts, with some folkish Zep thrown in, will be fun.

Of course I never implied that Robert should be punished. All I was saying is that I am of the opinion that Robert's prior successes give him much more creative license than the average bear and he takes full advantage of that fact. However, it IS self indulgence for him to explore the depths of musical creativity that he has. Not that it is a bad thing in and of itself, but him saying the O2 show was self-indulgent is somewhat misleading as it was just as self-indulgent as 90% of Robert's solo stuff.

But anyway... Robert has talked out of both sides of his mouth about Zeppelin for years, so who knows what will happen.

Well, in that sense all musical artists are self indulgent, if they explore the limits of their personal muse. And if other people like the results, as they apparently do in his case by buying his albums, then no, it's not a bad thing.

Archived