BEST Led Zeppelin Biography

Darth Zoso

nah. i'd say this: http://www.amazon.com/Stairway-Heaven-Led-...d/dp/0060938374

it was written by Richard Cole who was with them. thats why i think it is the best.

Cole, who also heavily inputted to Stephen Davis's pseudo-biography Hammer of the Gods, is well known to exaggerate, outright lie, and generally be a bit of a prick. ;)

I'd say read Led Zeppelin 4. It's a book of the album, but it's really good.

That one is pretty good, but I think Andy Fyfe's "When The Levee Breaks" is even better. It also focuses on IV (although it provides a bit more context for the album than the book you read, which is part of the reason why this one is better).

Amazon: When The Levee Breaks

Cole, who also heavily inputted to Stephen Davis's pseudo-biography Hammer of the Gods, is well known to exaggerate, outright lie, and generally be a bit of a prick. ;)

Seconded, supposedly Richard Cole's book and Hammer of the Gods are relatively inaccurate accounts.

an interesting quote from Jimmy Page:

"There's a book written by our former road manager, Richard Cole that has made me completely ill. I'm so mad about it that I can't even bring myself to read the whole thing. The two bits that I have read are so ridiculously false, that I'm sure if I read the rest I'd be able to sue Cole and the publishers. But it would be so painful to read that it wouldn't be worth it."

I've read Cole's book, its entertaining, but prefers to document the band's partying lifestyle than anything really having to do with music. It also makes the band in general look pretty bad. Honestly, I'd have better things to read than how much blow Cole and Page were bumping in Japan.

Seconded, supposedly Richard Cole's book and Hammer of the Gods are relatively inaccurate accounts.

an interesting quote from Jimmy Page:

"There's a book written by our former road manager, Richard Cole that has made me completely ill. I'm so mad about it that I can't even bring myself to read the whole thing. The two bits that I have read are so ridiculously false, that I'm sure if I read the rest I'd be able to sue Cole and the publishers. But it would be so painful to read that it wouldn't be worth it."

I've read Cole's book, its entertaining, but prefers to document the band's partying lifestyle than anything really having to do with music. It also makes the band in general look pretty bad. Honestly, I'd have better things to read than how much blow Cole and Page were bumping in Japan.

Granted, the book keeps you interested, and some parts are quite funny, but I think you just have to take it all with a grain of salt. I found it amazing that Cole could remember conversations from 30 years ago, when I can't even remember conversations I've had from last year..... 1449.gif

Granted, the book keeps you interested, and some parts are quite funny, but I think you just have to take it all with a grain of salt. I found it amazing that Cole could remember conversations from 30 years ago, when I can't even remember conversations I've had from last year..... 1449.gif

I think any conversation you have with Robert, Jimmy, or Jonsey you will remember for the rest of your life, I'll make sure to check some of these books out, so far I have just read some online, it got taken down with the site being updated, it was on the main page of the offical site, it was really good too :mad:

I bought a book in London last summer that was a biography of John Bonham called, John Bonham: The powerhouse behind Led Zeppelin, written mostly by his brother Mick, but dies unfortunately and was later finished by their sister Debrah.

This is a truly amazing look into John's life. It has a bit of cool stuff to add about the band but it really focuses on who John was as a kid. His major musical influences. How he started at a young age always banging on pots and pans (and his brother LOL). First bands around his local Kiderminster area. How he first met Robert. Mostly the things he did while not on tour. It's very touching and has an interesting look at a young cocky Sting back when the Police were just starting to make it big.

I think HOTG is good, but it has a dark slant to it, he makes things that were probably funny at the time seem ominous. I do think it's mostly factual and a good read. The Ritchie York bios are good, but they're slanted towards the happy side of the story.

I like Paul Kendall's Visual Documentary, and Dave Lewis' Celebration I and II and the Concert File are great, straightforward and factual. Dave Lewis' earlier books and writings were too gushing, he became more objective later on.

Howard Mylett's Tangents Within a Framework is a great collection of Page interviews and articles.

It's not a biography but I'd recommend Robert Godwin's The Press Reports. It consists of exerpts - often quite lengthy - from most interviews, articles etc that appeared in the press between 1968 and 1980. So in effect, it's a documentation of the band's life as it actually unfolded.

I'd like to know more about this upcoming Mick Wall biography, though. The books I've read so far focus on the debauchery at the expense of the music or vice-versa. It'll be interesting to read what he does with the story.

I don't know if there really is a "best book" because that's very rather subjective.

There are many great books on Led Zeppelin, each presenting a different view.

I quite like 'The Final Acclaim' by Dave Lewis, who runs the Tight But Loose website.

His writing style puts you there on tour with them. It's long out of print; you'd probably have to dig through ebay to get a copy.

The Keith Shadwick book is an excellent choice. Here's some more suggestions:

Yes:

Ritchie Yorke's Definitive Biography (my personal favorite)

Dave Lewis and Simon Pallet: The Concert Files

Dave Lewis: The Final Acclaim; A Celebration

Paul Kendall: A Visual Documentary

Howard Mylett: In the Light; Tangents Within a Framework

Mick Bonham: Bonham The Powerhouse Behind Led Zeppelin

George Case: Jimmy Page Musician Maggus Man

No:

Stephen Davis: Hammer of the Gods

Richard Cole: Stairwy to Heaven

Thomas Friend: Fallen Angel

I own and have read every one of these books and many others. These are what come to mind at the moment.

My first response was......the best LZ biography hasn't been written yet. :)

I shouldn't really say that though....there are some good ones out there. . I've read a few of the ones Ev had suggested and I enjoyed the Yorke one the most. I don't own it....I borrowed it from the local library a few years ago......great read if you can find it.

Another one I enjoyed tremendously was the Peter Grant bio.

Yes:

No:

I own and have read every one of these books and many others. These are what come to mind at the moment.

Ev, this is a great list! Can't wait to do some more reading...............................also, love the new photo!

I'm about one-quarter through the Shadwick book; so far it's great. Lots of research and details about the music... not (just) the drugs, groupies and mudsharks.

From a musician's perspective I find it very interesting, because Shadwick does go into a lot of detail about the band's gear, songwriting, guitar tuning, recording techniques, etc.

Yes:

No:

Thanks for the list. :thumbsup: Will have to take a look at that Ritchie Yorke bio.

I just recently read Jimmy Page Musician Magnus Man and I liked it better then Hammer, but it lacks one crucial element, interview with JP. George Case definitely loves JP though.

Yes:

Has this been updated? I still have my original paperback copy from the mid-70's - the cover has a drawing of "Led Zeppelin" written out in what looks like rows of "Pez" candies. It is a cool little book. It's always been my favorite too so I've never wanted to part with it.

Has this been updated? I still have my original paperback copy from the mid-70's - the cover has a drawing of "Led Zeppelin" written out in what looks like rows of "Pez" candies. It is a cool little book. It's always been my favorite too so I've never wanted to part with it.

There is an updated version, I have one from 1993 and it may have been updated again since then. I have the Pez version too, "I love that cover.

Archived