Led Zeppelin's OVERALL best song

JimmyPageZoSo56

478 members have voted

1. 1. Which captivates Led Zeppelin the best?

• Stairway to Heaven
    • Achilles Last Stand
    • Kashmir

Yeah I had a hard time deciding as well. They're all great.

To divide it up even further, we should consider the studio recording versus the live performances, because I think if you think about it that way, a lot of people's minds may change.

Studio Ranking:

1. Stairway

2. Achilles

3. Kashmir

Concert Ranking:

1. Kashmir

2. Stairway

3. Achilles

That would be exactly my ranking as well. :)

I know i should be a hc fan and pick something else than STH.

But when you compare STH to Achilles Last Stand and Kashmir... Well STH and ALS is really close combatants. Unfortunately, STH has overally better and more compact song structure and some may consider ALS bit too long guitar festive (i don't - but i'm just a crazy fan so who knows) so STH gets my score.

I voted for ALS... Over the past year I have been drawn to it more than ever. I think it is one of JHB finesest efforts... and given the condition Robert was in at the time of the taping...(wheelchair from the accident) and the fact that it was recorded in one take( except for the voice bubs) It's epic...

RSW

We all know Led Zeppelin had some amazing songs. but these 3 songs, which people over the years listed as their best, really captivate Led Zeppelin's overall capability to be the greatest rock and roll band ever. out of these songs, which do you think captivates Led Zeppelin the best?
In 1976 I was !6 and Presence was the first album that I bought at the school store. ALS immediately caught my attention. I knew most of LZ's repetoire, and ALS was a continuation of the magnitude and magnificance of LZ's musical mastery. They could have been publicized more or been sold to the media, but they were COOL. By this time other genres of music were crowding for the dollars that popularity brought. However, they sought the cheap sluts of the music industry and hyped and marketed their sound. Punk and disco were born. The majority always follow the mundane (ie. the average). LZ never sold out. In 1976, being a zeppelin disciple was beginnig to lose it's appeal to the mass produced. They bit and swallowed the new shit like starved left-wingers, and the eighties opened up with music for the ugly and unimpressive. The uncool had bought themselves a niche.

If John Bonham had lived, who knows? Commerciality has always been the sleazy characteristic of modern music; Zeppelin was an elite above it. They would have likely ignored the lameness of aerosmith's digression to cozy up to the new sound, and over the long haul, not decended to the political wimpness of the new band then, U2. ALS surmizes this mentality that eclipses the zombi attitude of the time; and it has never left me.

I voted for Stairway, as mentioned before.

I just read this article found by tyedye

The interviewer asks Jimmy how important Stairway is to him:

To me, I thought "Stairway" crystallized the essence of the band. It had everything there and showed the band at its best ... as a band, as a unit. Not talking about solos or anything, it had everything there. We were careful never to release it as a single. It was a milestone for us. Every musician wants to do something of lasting quality, something which will hold up for a long time and I guess we did it with "Stairway."

The article can be found here in its online context:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/174...le_led_zeppelin

Of course this article looks like it was written in March of 75 or 76. (writing on cover is too small to read)

It means that Kashmir is at least released at this time (Feb 75).

Achilles was recorded in late 75.

So basically it's possible that Jimmy is aware of all 3 of these songs at this time and thinks Stairway represents the group the best.

But things and people change, as Jimmy mentions in the article, so who knows what he thinks today!

When I saw Zep they did not play Kashmir or Achilles Last Stand, however, I truly love both of those songs. I chose STH because I was so amazed that they could reproduce in concert what I had heard on the album. I will never forget the solo Page played that day in Mobile, Ala. STH was (is) just a great song.

yes but kashmir is a very easy tune to follow and whats up with the STH thing people saying stairway to hell?

they cant be for sure its got satan writen all in it! but my brother did some research and played it backwards..i need someone to tell me why this is like this and why page has allowed it!

All I know is that I am going to go nuts when I hear the first note of Stairway to Heaven. Kashmier is my second favorite Zep song, but it will be hard to beat the version when Page and Plante had the Egytian percussion group playing a few years ago.

Out of those three, I chose Stairway. Just cuz. I know it's become an uber steriotype and everything, but I still thing it was Stairway. But don't get me wrong, I love every Led Zeppelin song ever!

One of my favorite songs is Misty Mountain Hop. It makes me think about Macu Picchu. Go figure. :huh:

We all know Led Zeppelin had some amazing songs. but these 3 songs, which people over the years listed as their best, really captivate Led Zeppelin's overall capability to be the greatest rock and roll band ever. out of these songs, which do you think captivates Led Zeppelin the best?

Considering I can play both stairway to heaven and Kashmir and as it seems some parts of Achilles Last Stand requires 8 inch long fingers...I'd say from a technical and skilled perspective Achilles Last Stand is far superior to both Kashmir and Stairway.....but thats just my opinion.

Where's NO QUARTER?? <_<

Well, out of the three listed I have to go with ALS. This is the most powerful thing Zep ever did. Bonzo at his best, JPJ playing a bass line so mean that Heart had to steal it, and Jimmy's multi-layered guitars. What could be better?

Oh, and Percy wasn't so bad either. ;)

Considering I can play both stairway to heaven and Kashmir and as it seems some parts of Achilles Last Stand requires 8 inch long fingers...I'd say from a technical and skilled perspective Achilles Last Stand is far superior to both Kashmir and Stairway.....but thats just my opinion.

that ALS isnt that hard to be honest. i know how to play all 3! :lol:

Achilles with its bass line thats like a lorry chasing you down a motorway !!

Yeah, what he said. It's Achilles for me. Bonham's drumming is genius as always. JPJ's bass line is pure power. Pagey and Plant can finish each others thoughts. An awesome song by the greatest band ever.

Gotta love the classic "Immigrant Song" and the heart-thumping "Communication Breakdown".

Great thing about this band is there are no bad songs. No fillers or throw-ins to finish an album. This band didn't operate that way. Just quality music through and through.

Archived