The Deep Purple Thread

eagle87

On 2/3/2017 at 4:25 PM, Badgeholder Still said:

Got my tix -2nd row

After surviving all the endless changes and rebirths, the egos, the bad blood, the deaths, fire in the sky... can this really be the end?

DP-AC-TOUR-300x255.jpg

Looks like it. I'm going to get good and tipsy for this one. :drunk:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/241-purplerainbowblackmore-etc/&do=findComment&comment=880014

Edited by luvlz2

On 22/02/2017 at 4:06 PM, JTM said:

Please no, dreadful voice should never have been allowed to open his mouth in DP mk III.

Agreed . Can't stand the bloke. He basically ruined Deep Purple Mk 3 with his constant whooping and screaming ( check out California Jam) and if I recall Coverdale was basically a looker on most of the time. Is it on "Last Concert in Japan", the one with Bolin, where Coverdale says " .... go on show 'em, tell 'em". You can just tell he's pissed off with Hughes taking the vocals. Good bass player though especially with Trapeze

57 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Agreed . Can't stand the bloke. He basically ruined Deep Purple Mk 3 with his constant whooping and screaming ( check out California Jam) and if I recall Coverdale was basically a looker on most of the time. Is it on "Last Concert in Japan", the one with Bolin, where Coverdale says " .... go on show 'em, tell 'em". You can just tell he's pissed off with Hughes taking the vocals. Good bass player though especially with Trapeze

There's a double live CD "On the Wings of a Russian Foxbat" from the 1976 tour actually recorded in California on which Hughes murders "Georgia on my Mind ", screeches a banshee would be proud of . Agreed that he's a good Bass player though.

While I like GH, live with DP he could be out of control sometimes and I did not like that, but in the Studio he was fine with DP.

You guys who think his voice sucks need to check out some of his recent live work, just outstanding. for example muscle and blood and you keep on moving from Chicago 8/27/16 on YT. Then get back to me and tell me his voice sucks. 

I did enjoy the MK III version, I can see why some people would be annoyed with GH, but you also have to remember he was pretty young back then. I don't think it bugged the band, or they would have reeled him in. I also agree, that he still has good range, a rareity for a veteran singer nowadays.

One of my favorite Deep Purple releases is the reissue of Concerto for Group and Orchestra.  Great music and fantastic recording.  The band is spot on.  You can really hear Glover and Blackmore's sound is clean and crisp.  Much less heavy and muddy than Made in Japan.  The bonus disc with Hush, Wring that Neck, and Child in Time is amazing.  The recording is so good.  Blackmore's guitar solo on Child in Time is to my ears much better and more creative than the one on Made in Japan.

The highlights though are the Blackmore jams in Movement One and Movement Three of the Concerto.  Inspired genius.  For a few moments he is casting about for ideas but when he hits his stride watch out.  The playing is so clean.  Amazing stuff.

Does anyone here have the Gemini Suite?  Is it as good as the original Concerto?  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...