The Deep Purple Thread

eagle87

43 minutes ago, Mook said:

Well first of all, I've not picked up a pair of sticks for nearly eight years & secondly there are far better drummers on here than me so it's just my opinion, I love the Ozzy Sabbath stuff, I've got every LP apart from Never Say Die but I have mixed feelings about Bill Ward...

I find him to be wildly inconsistent, one minute he's playing the worst drum fill I've ever heard (in Iron Man) & the next he's playing a borderline genius drum bass drum thing on Snowblind. I don't think Sabbath would've been the same without him but at times it sounds to me (especially on Paranoid & Master of Reality) that he's turned up to the studio drunk, the production on those two albums doesn't help him to be honest & the better drum sounds on Vol.4 & Sabbath Bloody Sabbath give him more scope with his symphonic sort of approach to drumming.

For those reasons, I would have him a rung or two below drummers like Bonham & Paice in the grand scheme of things although, don't get me wrong, when he was good, he was very good.

If you really want to hear how bad Bill Ward can be, check out "Live at Last". I think recorded in 1971 ish in Manchester. Having said that the Astbury Park show from 1975 finds him on good form

Ian Paice? Now there is a fantastic drummer. The Denmark 72 DVD show is amazing ( but atrociously filmed) but of course nothing beats Made in Japan. I think Space Truckin' is what got me on to Heavy Rock back in 73

On 22/10/2017 at 11:01 AM, Strider said:

814vDABGymL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.c91d037e1366ae1da1f61e7b12e4fd9e.jpg41AfYPVjDZL._SL1500_.jpg.84c65f4e185cceeb7ca6cafe206d1b78.jpg

Moments of brilliance in between long stretches of tedium/boredom. The opening three songs are the best part. "Child In Time" is one of the best versions I've heard....better than the one on "Made in Japan".

Agree with you Sean. Child in Time is wonderful. Blackmore's solo is beyond great and a real bonus to hear "into the fire". Most of it though is as you say, a bit tedious. But this equates to Gillan saying Purple were an instrumental band. Wring that Neck/Mandrake Root were essentially instrumental pieces which morphed into Space Truckin' a few years on.

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

If you really want to hear how bad Bill Ward can be, check out "Live at Last". I think recorded in 1971 ish in Manchester. Having said that the Astbury Park show from 1975 finds him on good form

Ian Paice? Now there is a fantastic drummer. The Denmark 72 DVD show is amazing ( but atrociously filmed) but of course nothing beats Made in Japan. I think Space Truckin' is what got me on to Heavy Rock back in 73

I have Live at Last & it is indeed not the greatest performance from Ward, it was recorded at two gigs (Manchester & London) in March 1973.

2 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

Thanks for your input Mook and taking the time to post, I love hearing people’s opinions on music.

No problem at all, happy to discuss drumming with anyone (quite often with people who aren't even listening).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Holy moley! I can't believe I stumbled upon this Ian Gillan clip. For me, the original concept album with Ian Gillan as Jesus is the "Jesus Christ Superstar" that reigns over all other versions.

Ian had very little prep time before recording it all in four hours. Yet despite that, he nailed his parts with definitive performances. And then he went on to record "In Rock" with Deep Purple. Pretty good year for him.

But because of his Deep Purple obligations, Ian never had a chance to perform the role on stage or put it down on film. All we had was his voice on the album. Ted Neely became the Jesus most people know. I pretty much figured that there was no film record of Ian singing anything from "Jesus Christ Superstar".

Until today...when I came across this clip of Ian lipsyncing to his original album track. Kind of makes you wish there were more clips of him singing from "Jesus Christ Superstar'. 

Deep Purple photos from Chastain Amphitheatre (Atlanta 2nd row right side box seats) last August (2017) w/ Alice Cooper and Edgar Winter. I got Steve Morse’s pick and Roger Glover’s after the show. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/deep-purple/2017/chastain-park-amphitheater-atlanta-ga-63e54a8b.html

R😎

F3EB6D76-F415-47E0-8932-D28DB3C6C318.jpeg

D6D08F23-5EFA-4DBD-A981-03CED3B0FA8C.jpeg

875E35E2-778A-4989-9E0C-711AFC713CFB.jpeg

6EBD6561-EEA9-4CE0-B75C-70E78032461E.jpeg

AB6A7526-98E7-4CFE-8F34-A6BD50F14A3E.jpeg

15E9695B-23E9-4535-9407-F38FDF6017A4.jpeg

02646C96-FDC7-4A00-9CF2-1C901B53BC42.jpeg

971DF85D-DE27-4569-B301-61B7143446BF.jpeg

25634CC6-506D-4AC1-8746-0B1C8973C9C0.jpeg

A26AD074-AFD3-41AB-B7DB-BF9E5EA646B3.jpeg

Edited by reids

Recently saw the "Classic Albums" episode for Machine Head on AXS TV.  Very well done show.  Mostly interviews with the band members with lots of discussion of actual music, riffs, lead parts, drums, rhythms etc.  Only downside was there was no discussion of my favorite song on Machine Head - Lazy.  That track has all the elements that make Machine Head so great.  Great riffs, a swinging rhythm section, keyboards and crystal clear guitar leads - and strong strong vocals.  The construction and arrangement are both superb on Lazy.  And the production. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 5:50 PM, Badgeholder Still said:

Guess not.

Yeah, wish we were getting this in Phoenix, I was a little unsatisfied with their short list sharing the bill with two other bands last time I hate to say, so I hope they come here again and play a longer set. I love this band.

Edited by luvlz2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...