parrot heads

boogie

i have Never been to a buffet show, have wanted to go for the past 20 years or so. something always happens, where i miss the sale, or already have plans. well, this time was going to be differant. the sale day is usually on a week day for some reason, so i was going to take a sick day this time, and pay any price for a ticket. well i heard tickects will go on sale march 10, for our show, then i found out the show date. 6/14/08. the same day as Rush, which i already have tickets for. and it's right across the parking lot. wow! talk about traffic. guess i'll never get to margaritaville.

I'm a huge Buffett fan and probably saw him in concert close to a dozen times between 1978 and 1996. However, I tired of the hassle of trying to obtain tix and the heavy production value his shows have taken on over the years. No offense but I also never got into that whole "Parrothead" thing. To each his own but it never was for me. I'm more of a fan of vintage beachbum Buffett than I am of CEO of Margaritaville, Inc. Buffett. I don't rule out ever seeing him in concert again but right now that's not something I have to worry about since as far as I know there are no NC shows scheduled. There's also the matter of ticket prices. In recent years the best seats went up to something like $126 a ticket. I'm not paying that fucking much to see anybody. Well, except for maybe Led Zeppelin but that'd be it.

I'm a huge Buffett fan and probably saw him in concert close to a dozen times between 1978 and 1996. However, I tired of the hassle of trying to obtain tix and the heavy production value his shows have taken on over the years. No offense but I also never got into that whole "Parrothead" thing. To each his own but it never was for me. I'm more of a fan of vintage beachbum Buffett than I am of CEO of Margaritaville, Inc. Buffett. I don't rule out ever seeing him in concert again but right now that's not something I have to worry about since as far as I know there are no NC shows scheduled. There's also the matter of ticket prices. In recent years the best seats went up to something like $126 a ticket. I'm not paying that fucking much to see anybody. Well, except for maybe Led Zeppelin but that'd be it.

wow '78, you were a head of your(my time) time. i was strickly hard rock then. yes the prices are a concern.

wow '78, you were a head of your(my time) time. i was strickly hard rock then. yes the prices are a concern.

I first got turned on to Buffett through an older brother sometime in the early to mid 70s. He also introduced me to the music of John Prine, Steve Goodman, Jerry Jeff Walker and many of Buffett's other peers at the time. During that same time period I was also into Sabbath, Zeppelin, Waylon Jennings, Rush, David Allan Coe, Kiss, Dylan, the Grateful Dead, Earl Scruggs, Commander Cody, Rainbow, Pure Prairie League, Steppenwolf, Willie Nelson, etc. so it's never been about just one type of music for me.

I first got turned on to Buffett through an older brother sometime in the early to mid 70s. He also introduced me to the music of John Prine, Steve Goodman, Jerry Jeff Walker and many of Buffett's other peers at the time. During that same time period I was also into Sabbath, Zeppelin, Waylon Jennings, Rush, David Allan Coe, Kiss, Dylan, the Grateful Dead, Earl Scruggs, Commander Cody, Rainbow, Pure Prairie League, Steppenwolf, Willie Nelson, etc. so it's never been about just one type of music for me.

from like '75 to '79, it was nothing but hard rock. i liked other stuff. like some of the punk bands. but that was always on the back burner. i would never go to a show or put it on when some one was around. could never admit to country. even though i always liked johnny cash.

Everytime I see a picture of that guy I want to puke. His dumb smile and dopey hats. I realized about a year ago I owned a record of his, courtesy of my sister. I tried to listen, but found it as boring as an Eagles or Neil Young record.

i never found neil young boring. a good guitar player and a great song writer, good vocalist.

from like '75 to '79, it was nothing but hard rock. i liked other stuff. like some of the punk bands. but that was always on the back burner. i would never go to a show or put it on when some one was around. could never admit to country. even though i always liked johnny cash.

There's no music in my collection I'm ashamed of and that goes for everything from Jimmy Buffett to country music. I was turned onto Waylon early on and got into tons of similar artists such as Willie, David Allan Coe, Emmylou Harris, Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers, etc. from there.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Garratt Wilkin of Garratt Wilkin & the Parrotheads has issued the following statement in regards to the passing of former Coral Reefer keyboardist Jay Spell:

"It is with great sadness that we report that our keyboard player, Jay Spell, lost his battle with cancer early Friday morning, December 31, 2010. Services are pending, will let you know when details are released. Please join us in keeping Jay's family in your thoughts and prayers."

In addition to Buffett's Coral Reefer Band and Wilkin's Parrotheads, Jay also played with a number of other artists over the years including, but not limited to Canned Heat and John Mayall. Jay, a native of Spivey's Corner, NC (best known for it's annual Hollerin' Contest) can be heard on Buffett's legendary live album, You Had To Be There as well as the studio effort Son of a Son of a Sailor. Jay's list of credits can be seen here. In the clip below, Jay can be seen (and heard) as a member of Buffett's Coral Reefer Band during an appearance on Saturday Night Live from May of 1978 in support of his then new album, Son of a Son of a Sailor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHXho5gZg-Q

• 3 weeks later...

From BuffettNews.com:

Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band performed at the Sydney Opera House in Australia on Sunday January 23rd. The last time Buffett performed in Australia was in November 1988. All of the proceeds from the show went to the Queensland Flood appeal to help out with the recent floods.

From the CNN Wire Staff

Jimmy Buffett is 'stable' after stage fall, hospital says

January 26, 2011 12:40 p.m. EST

Sydney, Australia (CNN) -- Singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett fell off a concert stage during a show in Sydney, Australia Wednesday, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Doctors at Sydney's St. Vincent's Hospital listed Buffett, 64, in stable condition four hours after he was admitted, spokeswoman Denise Coughlan said.

She would not give details about his injuries.

Australia's Daily Telegraph newspaper quotes witnesses saying Buffett fell from the Hordern Pavilion stage after singing "It's been a lovely cruise, I'm sorry it's ended."

Jimmy Buffett and his Coral Reefer Band have performed several sold-out shows in Sydney over the past week, the newspaper reported.

Jimmy Buffett Auckland Show Is On

Posted: Thursday, January 27 2011

Jimmy Buffett's Auckland show will proceed as scheduled on Saturday despite minor injuries received when Mr Buffett fell from the stage in his Wednesday evening show in Sydney.

Although sent to the hospital for reasons of precaution, Jimmy Buffett and his crew will take a charter flight to Auckland.

The show, at Auckland Viaduct's Te Wero Island on Saturday evening, will go ahead as planned.

Tickets are available through Eventfinder. Click here for more information about the show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't seen this since it originally aired on Austin City Limits back in '78. Hopefully the person that uploaded this will upload the remainder of the performance to YouTube. Better yet, I'd love to see the complete performance (not just the segment that aired) get an official release on CD/DVD. Same thing for John Prine, who also appeared on this episode.

http://youtu.be/SaQCZQBouFk

• 2 weeks later...

From the All Things Music Plus page on Facebook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vlDhcZXCHw

ON THIS DATE (35 YEARS AGO)

February 14, 1977 - Jimmy Buffett: "Margaritaville" b/w “Miss You So Badly” (ABC 12254) 45 single is released.

"Margaritaville" is a 1977 song by American popular music singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett from the album Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes. This song was written about a drink in Austin, Texas, and the first huge surge of tourists who descended on Key West almost two decades ago. He wrote it in Key West while spending time in Florida. The song was a chart hit in the United States when it was released and contemporary popular culture references and remakes attest to its continuing popularity. It reached #8 on Billboard Hot 100 chart, topped the Easy Listening (Adult Contemporary) chart at #1, and peaked at #13 on the Hot Country Songs chart. It remains Buffett's highest charting solo single.

Named for a cocktail, the margarita, and with lyrics reflecting a laid-back lifestyle in a tropical climate, "Margaritaville" has come to define Buffett's music and career. The relative importance of the song to Buffett's career is referred to obliquely in a parenthetical plural in the title of a Buffett greatest hits compilation album, Songs You Know By Heart: Jimmy Buffett's Greatest Hit(s).

The song is a narrative overview of the singer's life for the previous season. He sings about laid-back living in a drunken haze in a beach community. "Margaritaville" is the mental state in which he exists during this period, induced by the perpetual imbibing of margaritas. This is best illustrated in the last verse, when the singer goes for a walk, cuts his heel and returns home to ease his pain with the eponymous alcoholic beverage. The singer is drowning his sorrows over a failed romance, and his friends are telling him that his former girlfriend is at fault. But in the respective last lines of the three successive choruses, over the course of the song we see the singer gradually confronting the fact that this emotional catastrophe was "his own damned fault."

Buffett revealed during the recording of an episode of CMT's Crossroads with the Zac Brown Band that "Margaritaville" was actually supposed to be recorded by Elvis Presley, but Elvis died the year that the song was going to be recorded. Buffett got to record it instead.

Archived