A Fender question

Muse

Just wondering if there's any real difference between a Telecaster made in the US or Japan as opposed to one made in Mexico, as I've heard they all use the same parts.

I'm looking at a used one from Mexico with a nice price tag and was wondering whether to go for or wait for an American made one.

14 years ago, I decided to add a Telecaster to my collection. I played a number of instruments of varying price, but the USA built ones had the better overall feel, so that's what I bought. I must add, though, that the others on offer were also good instruments.

RB

Yeah ... I bought a Tele Thinline that was Mexican made ... some of (if not all) the repos are made there. Don't have a complaint.

But my American made Standard has been my favorite for years.

They're all built like shit houses.

Hell, I've played Squires that I thought were nice.

haha.

~666

Pick your guitar by playing it....not by the label that's on it. I have a 74 American Tele......and have played Mexi's......and was impressed......for the price. Thing is, none of them are handmade anymore. They are all cut by robotic machines. You're main difference will be the select cut of wood.....and mainly hardware/pickups. Many people think simply upgrading hardware/PU's will make their offshore brand be equal to the American...not often the case.

Here's how to judge if you have a good sounding guitar. Does it sound good with a big tone when NOT plugged in. No matter what pickups you put in a guitar, it all starts with the wood. So if you scour through dozens of Mexi Tele's...you're bound to find a keeper. Pick by sound, not by sight. And play a bunch of them.....every one in the store if possible!!

For the record....I've owned several Les Pauls, Strats, Tele's.....and numerous others......and to this day my baby is still my 1960 Guild T 100 hollowbody that I got for $250. I would'nt trade it for a signature Page LP model!!!!

Archived