What happened to the Zoso fanzine?

Yes, 'Zoso - The Led Zeppelin Gathering Place' was published monthly by Taylor in

San Francisco from Jan 1987 until Apr 1992 for a total of 63 issues. It was a plain

b&w fanzine with text and photos on the latest news and events related to Led Zeppelin. Towards the end of it's production run it was upgraded to slick glossy

covers, made possible with the advances made in home publishing technology.

Subscribers received their issues in the mail, but it could also be purchased off the

newstands in Tower Records throughout the Bay Area.

I have all but six of the sixty-three issues. I would have to check the final issue,

but I do seem to recall there was a publisher's farewell printed. Something to the

effect of he no longer had the time to maintain it and it seemed the solo members

were still in a period of extended inactivity. In it's day, 'Zoso' could claim to be the

longest running Led Zeppelin fanzine ever published, since eclipsed by Dave Lewis'

'Tight But Loose' but it's still the longest running monthly Zep zine ever.

Hats off to Taylor, wherever you are!

I have the "ZOSO" magazine issue "No. 64 (Year Six, Number Five)" with a young Jimmy Page on the cover, head slightly cocked to his left and holding a Miller High Life can with both hands. Inside, on the first page of the 'notes' section is a two paragraph statement that reads as follows:

"This issue and all my subsequent work in (sic) dedicated to the memory of the Love of my Life, Liza P******, who died on May 26th 1992.

I knew her for six long, lovely months and our Love sweetly evolved into a closeness of mind and heart that is beyond speech or memory. If I could be with her now...I would do so. Our Love was simply---utterly---miraculous. Alas, gone now; I shall miss you terribly. Rest in joyous peace my Angel, I pray. Taylor.

Lastly, I have the "ZOSO" issue "65 (Year Six, Number Six)" with a picure of a smiling Jimmy onstage in the foreground (Plant in the background) with his Les Paul hung low and his arms across his chest in the shape of an "X". On page 12 of this issue is the following statement:

"ZOSO IS BACK.

After a few months of delay, ZOSO is back. My personal tragedy took its toll with a hazy inner will and, a pulsing dullness. It was hard to get up in the morning and to pull in a breath much less laying-out a 65th issue of some Led Zeppelin thing I think I remember putting out...But life zooms on. And you wonder so many things.

But, your letters and cards and FAXs helped rope me back to the Led Zeppelin Gathering Place. Really, without ALL of your words and laments ZOSO would have probably fallen besides the path, as I so surely almost did. Thank you for all your understanding and Led-ed support. You truly are a bunch. As Page said: "The Ever Onward". Taylor.

Although Taylor seemed to believe that "ZOSO" was back, this, I believe, turned out to be the Swan Song or Coda of the "Zoso" fanzine. Regardless, "ZOSO" was the ultimate Led Zeppelin Gathering Place back in its Time. Taylor, wherever You are, I would like to personally "Thank You" for your ultimate contribution in keeping the Led Zeppelin Ethic alive and well.

I have the "ZOSO" magazine issue "No. 64 (Year Six, Number Five)"...lastly, I have the "ZOSO" issue "65 (Year Six, Number Six)" with a picure of a smiling Jimmy onstage in the foreground (Plant in the background) with his Les Paul hung low and his arms across his chest in the shape of an "X". On page 12 of this issue is the following statement:

"ZOSO IS BACK.

After a few months of delay, ZOSO is back. My personal tragedy took its toll with a hazy inner will and, a pulsing dullness. It was hard to get up in the morning and to pull in a breath much less laying-out a 65th issue of some Led Zeppelin thing I think I remember putting out...But life zooms on. And you wonder so many things. But, your letters and cards and FAXs helped rope me back to the Led Zeppelin Gathering Place. Really, without ALL of your words and laments ZOSO would have probably fallen besides the path, as I so surely almost did. Thank you for all your understanding and Led-ed support. You truly are a bunch. As Page said: "The Ever Onward". Taylor.

Although Taylor seemed to believe that "ZOSO" was back, this, I believe, turned out to be the Swan Song or Coda of the "Zoso" fanzine. Regardless, "ZOSO" was the ultimate Led Zeppelin Gathering Place back in its Time. Taylor, wherever You are, I would like to personally "Thank You" for your ultimate contribution in keeping the Led Zeppelin Ethic alive and well.

This is very interesting. I will double check what I have on file in the archive as either my inventory database is inaccurate or there are indeed two additional issues of Zoso I was unaware of and must pursue.

I have both the the above mentioned issues of ZoZo magazine. I was quite unhappy that Taylor had discontinued his ZoZo magazine just after I sent him $30 to renew my subscription. I never saw the money again or another issue from Taylor the Rip-off. I don't think he's ever reappeared publicly since that time. For good reason.

I'll add my love for the 'ZOSO' fanzine. I too was a subscriber and always looked forward to getting the big yellow envelope in the mail.

It was a great zine and had a lot of rare photos. I too would love to see an online archive of the complete run.

The same goes for 'Electric Magic' - that was a really nice magazine as well.

• 10 months later...

I used to subscribe to Proximity. I was in high school. God this brings back memories.

I got the following on cassette through some mail-order in the classified section:

Berlin 1980

Oakland 1977

4th Album Rehearsals

Van Halen Paris 1978

Van Halen Tokyo 1979 (two scorching shows)

Doors Miami (or was it New Haven? A clearly drunk Jim Morrison tells the audience "You're all a bunch of fucking idiots," and their response was the perfect progression of "YEAAAAH!!!" followed instantaneously by "WHAAAA???" In the process becoming something like "YEAAAAA!!!!AAAAHHHHH??!!???!!? Totally hilarious.)

And more...

When I received the list of shows I could order, it came back as dozens of pages, typed single-space. It was every band you could think of, in every possible venue, all over the world. To this day I marvel at how, pre-internet, one individual could possibly amass such a collection. How could all of these tapers, going back to the late 1960's, somehow communicate and organize via snail mail?

Bizarre. I never solved the riddle.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

• 4 years later...

I have a couple of Zoso issues from Year Six labeled #(64,65) not sure when he finally quit. They were great to read and they solidified my life long admiration for the band. I suppose I could scan my copies up to the Internet somewhere, if this hasn't been done already. 

I was never lucky enough to get any. How i wish it was still going now, I would make sure i never missed a issue. I miss the old days in a way. Even though we have everything at our fingertips now. You cannot beat actually having something in your hands. Something to look forward to having. I really need to get more Zep merch.

Archived