What did they think of other bands

Hey

i was sittin around mashup last night and i was thinking about what Zep thought of bands like Sabbath, Floyd, Thin lizzy etc, basically did they dig these bands or did they not really pay much attention? alternativly, what do you think those bands thought of Zep?

later's

Plant and Bonzo grew up just outside of Birmingham which is where Black Sabbath is from. So they knew each other and probably respected each other.

I know Jimmy respected pretty much all popular music in the 60s and 70s. One of his favorites was Little Feet in the mid 70s. But in interviews he said how much he respected the Beatles and the Stones.

Robert said Bonham would tell the Sabbath guys, before they all made it big, "You guys just really are shit!"

I read somewhere else where Robert said Led Zeppelin had played at a festival with the Doors and he said something to the effect of, "(Jim Morrison) just said, 'Fuck y'all,' and the whole audience went, 'We love you!' I thought, For what?"

Robert was a big fan of all the San Francisco bands and has mentioned Jefferson Airplane, the Grateful Dead and the Virgin Prunes as favorites, and also dropped a line from a Albert King quote via Blue Cheer into "HMMT." He also liked Love and their leader, Arthur Lee, a lot. He's also mentioned Janis Joplin before who seems to have been his primary (unacknowledged) influence.

Jim went on-record saying he thought Jefferson Airplane stunk.

Jimmy was a fan of Little Feat. He and Robert both liked bands called Pentangle, Rennaisance and the Incredible String Band, which were all English folk bands.

They all liked Elvis and James Brown. In the late `70's/early `80's they mentioned liking Heart, Rush and Jimmy liked ZZ Top. Robert was a R.E.M. and Cure fan later on.

Uh, you mean the Electric Prunes, right? ;)

The Virgin Prunes were a late 70's band, with The Edge's brother Dick on guitar.

Whoops! I might've had the wrong Prunes! It must've been the Electric Prunes.

Off topic, there's a documentary on Janis Joplin out there called Janis that we used to rent all the time in the late `80's. If you want to see the epitome of a kickass front person who knew how to get a crowd in the palm of her hand, check that out. I've only ever seen it on VHS but I'm sure it must be on DVD by now.

A few things I remember hearing and/or reading...

*Jimmy was a fan of Ten Years After and particularly Alvin Lee.

*Jethro Tull was opening for them in Boston (in the early theater days) LZ wanted to hurry up and leave and go to a certian club in NY to party. So they told Tull to open for them. Obviously Tull was hesitant...Jimmy told them something equivalent to "you are the worst band around and you'll do as I say".

*When accepting an award (grammy ???) Bonzo said that Rush deserved to win.

*Peter Grant (or maybe Cole) approached Bob Dylan at a party and said told him he managed Led Zeppelin and Dylan said "don't tell me your f*%$* problems".

*More recently I heard Plant say that he and his kids were fans of Pearl Jam. And I read an interview with JPJ in which he was asked "Do you find modern ryhthm sections lazy?" His reply was something like "not Tool, they are refreshingly intricate."

*Jethro Tull was opening for them in Boston (in the early theater days) LZ wanted to hurry up and leave and go to a certian club in NY to party. So they told Tull to open for them. Obviously Tull was hesitant...Jimmy told them something equivalent to "you are the worst band around and you'll do as I say".

*Peter Grant (or maybe Cole) approached Bob Dylan at a party and said told him he managed Led Zeppelin and Dylan said "don't tell me your f*%$* problems".

*More recently I heard Plant say that he and his kids were fans of Pearl Jam. And I read an interview with JPJ in which he was asked "Do you find modern ryhthm sections lazy?" His reply was something like "not Tool, they are refreshingly intricate."

Led Zeppelin never won a grammy.

Plant played with Pearl Jam in 2005

i apologise before hand if i put the wrong words in the wrong people's mouth. just going by memory here.

eric clapton seen them live and thought they were ridiculously loud and unenjoyable

paul stanley *cough* excuse me the great paul stanley, said they were the greatest band he'd ever seen live. you make not like kiss but paul is a music fanatic and usually knows what he's talking about regarding it.

i'm sure grand funk would stink up this thread over a few things.

at one point jimmy page described the band kaleidoscope as his ideal perfect band.

i leave the rest out for someone else to post instead of hogging it all up .

Led Zeppelin never won a grammy.

Plant played with Pearl Jam in 2005

I wasn't sure if it was a grammy, hence the ???, anyway, I never knew if they "won" a grammy or not. I guess i never really cared...but thanks for the info. The Pearl Jam reference probably came from that tour (set) at some point. I was just recounting a few tidbits that popped into mind.

i wouldn't be surprised if cream was a zepfluence

Jimmy was a fan of Little Feat. He and Robert both liked bands called Pentangle, Rennaisance and the Incredible String Band, which were all English folk bands.

yay for pentangle, they're playin a 40th anniversary reunion tour this summer for you lucky brits. everyone should listen to moby dick and then to pentangle's song called bells and hear the cool differences of style.

i've read jimmy looked up to bert jansch (pentangle guitar/banjo player). black mountainside and bron-yr-aur stomp for instance are two of jansch's tunes that page innovated into a zeppelin friendly format.

Well from what little I know:

Bonzo indeed called Sabbath to their face: "You're so shit"

Later on Bonzo referred to them as "Deep Sabbath"…so that covers 2 bands and Bonzo's appreciation of them.

I think Jason said once that dad also liked Fleetwood Mac.

Jimmy had a thought for a Jethro Tull album- "Bore 'em at the Forum", I guess he found the music very...erm...inspiring?

Robert was tuned into Blind Mellon in the early 90's by his daughter Carmen, who asked him why couldn't he do stuff like that.

Robert said very often that he liked Buffalo Springfield.

Janis Joplin took Percy under her wing during a few early on gigs when they were on the same bill, I remember a story about a very sore voiced Plant and large amounts of orange juice spiked with quantities of vodka prepared by Janis.

John Lennon: "from what little I've heard' they sound aright. Jimmy page has always been a bloody good guitar player".

A mean spirited Eric Clapton had to say:

"I don't know about them. I've heard their records and I saw them play at Milwaukee-we were on the same bill. They were very loud- I thought it was unnecessarily loud".

Among the other very lovely things he had to say…

And I ask, can there be a too loud Led Zeppelin? That's the whole bloody point inn'it? He sounds like my mother, come on….

Hey

i was sittin around mashup last night and i was thinking about what Zep thought of bands like Sabbath, Floyd, Thin lizzy etc, basically did they dig these bands or did they not really pay much attention? alternativly, what do you think those bands thought of Zep?

later's

I remember hearing in an interview during the 70's that Page liked Yes, Rush and the Who. Page and Plant were always rather different when it came to giving out praise for other bands.

Page was quite open and willing to compliment while Plant liked nothing that wasn't an early influence to him. During post Zeppelin years Plant became more complimentary towards some bands. The Cult, Husker Do, REM and Dread Zeppelin(J/k) were bands he said he liked.

John Paul Jones singled out the Cult as the band that seemed to "get it" when it came to mimicing the sound of Zeppelin.

Bonham was an R&B fan over anything but Fleetwood Mac, the Who, Yes a few others were bands he had praised.

For the record, it was Bonham that said "We'll call it Bore em' at the Forum" when referring to a potential live album recorded in LA for Jethro Tull

In a AC/DC biography I thumbed through at the store someone claimed AC/DC was going to be on the bill at Knebworth, but Robert didn't want them. "Too derivative," he said. Actually by that point...Bon and Angus probably would've given Zep a great run for their money!

Robert said Bonham would tell the Sabbath guys, before they all made it big, "You guys just really are shit!"

I read somewhere else where Robert said Led Zeppelin had played at a festival with the Doors and he said something to the effect of, "(Jim Morrison) just said, 'Fuck y'all,' and the whole audience went, 'We love you!' I thought, For what?"

Robert was a big fan of all the San Francisco bands and has mentioned Jefferson Airplane, the Grateful Dead and the Virgin Prunes as favorites, and also dropped a line from a Albert King quote via Blue Cheer into "HMMT." He also liked Love and their leader, Arthur Lee, a lot. He's also mentioned Janis Joplin before who seems to have been his primary (unacknowledged) influence.

Jim went on-record saying he thought Jefferson Airplane stunk.

They all liked Elvis and James Brown. In the late `70's/early `80's they mentioned liking Heart, Rush and Jimmy liked ZZ Top. Robert was a R.E.M. and Cure fan later on.

Renaissance was a band that contained several members of the Yardbirds. Another band that grew out of the Yardbirds is Box Of Frogs, which released two albums (one Jeff Beck played on, the other Page himself played on).

I think the correct quote is "I don't come to you with my problems, do I?"

Great quote. Dylan's always been very witty.

• 4 weeks later...

Plant always liked Queen's music (he performed at the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert in April of 1992 (and in an interview, he said Brian's guitar playing as well as Freddie's voice were instantly recognizable). He sang a medley of Queen and Zeppelin at the Tribute: "Innuendo" including words from "Kashmir"/"Thank You"/ "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"

R B)

Archived