What did they think of other bands

Strange, I've never read Page disliking Pink Floyd, and I'm pretty sure in a pre-Knebworth interview he mentions them favorably. Page loved jazz guitar pioneer Django Reinhardt, and you can hear why, Django played fast and fiery, not

old man jazz. Jimmy also loved Clarence White of the Byrds, an earlier user of the Tele B-bender, which Jimmy adopted

later. Jimmy also thought much of the San Francisco psychedelic scene was laughable. Robert and Jimmy loved

Roy Harper, a folk-protest artist who was quite an acquired taste for most listeners. Jimmy thought Hendrix was a

genius, and in fact Hendrix wanted to get Bonzo to play with him. Jimmy and Robert really liked Bob Marley and the Wailers, early on in fact.

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2017 at 4:00 PM, EaglesOfOneNest said:

I really, really dislike Fleetwood Mac, I don't know why, they just set my teeth on edge. At any rate, I remember reading something Jason said about his dad really liking them and playing a Fleetwood Mac 8-track in the car taking him to his motocross events when he wasn't on tour and re-thinking everything positive I had ever thought about Bonzo! Kidding, of course!

Remember, the (original) Fleetwood Mac was a blues-based band, with different members (Peter Green on guitars ) and playing a very different style of music versus the pop version of the band it morphed into that we all know today with Buckingham & Nicks.

R😎

33 minutes ago, reids said:

Remember, the (original) Fleetwood Mac was a blues-based band, with different members (Peter Green on guitars ) and playing a very different style of music versus the pop version of the band it morphed into that we all know today with Buckingham & Nicks.

R😎

I reckon Bonham might've quite liked the mid/late 70s Fleetwood Mac, it was late 70s when he was taking Jason to the motocross events which would add up.

He was a big Cat Stevens fan as well, I don't think it was all James Brown & Alphonse Mouzon.

6 hours ago, 76229 said:

It's still a musical fantasy of mine to see a drum-off between Bonzo & Clyde Stubblefield though. If only...

Clyde Stubbelfield ? never heard that name, must google it.....Ok, James Brown's drummer. soul music has never been my thing that explains it... I'll check him out on YouTube..

9 hours ago, reids said:

R😎

Yes.  The old Fleetwood Mac could put out some pretty good jams live.  (Got no use for the better known pop lineup.)

13 hours ago, JTM said:

Clyde Stubbelfield ? never heard that name, must google it.....Ok, James Brown's drummer. soul music has never been my thing that explains it... I'll check him out on YouTube..

Check out 'Funky Drummer', it's his signature tune & I think the most sampled drum track of all time.

6 hours ago, Mook said:

Check out 'Funky Drummer', it's his signature tune & I think the most sampled drum track of all time.

I used to see Clyde pretty often. He lived in Madison WI, and played with some friends of mine in a band called the B3 Bombers. He had that incredible feel and pocket and was a very nice dude. Zep loved JB!! The theramin jam section in WLL basically became a tribute to him. 

6 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

I used to see Clyde pretty often. He lived in Madison WI, and played with some friends of mine in a band called the B3 Bombers. He had that incredible feel and pocket and was a very nice dude. Zep loved JB!! The theramin jam section in WLL basically became a tribute to him. 

A mate of mine made a film about a JBs (I think) trip to Scotland & he said Clyde Stubblefield was as nice & as down to Earth a bloke as you could meet.

I didn't get the chance to meet him unfortunately, having said that I got the chance to meet Billy Cobham once & hid behind an amp instead.

The James Brown stuff is absolutely brilliant, I defy anyone with ears not to like Mother Popcorn.

Mind Transplant is a great album.

Someone else on here (can't remember who) said it was the Funky Snakefoot (also Alphonse Mouzon) album Bonham was playing in the hotel, I think he referenced one of the many Zeppelin books as well.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Mind Transplant is a great album.

Someone else on here (can't remember who) said it was the Funky Snakefoot (also Alphonse Mouzon) album Bonham was playing in the hotel, I think he referenced one of the many Zeppelin books as well.

It's in the "LZ - 75" book by Stephen Salacious. Has the ring of truth about it though... On the topic of James Brown's drummers Mook, there's a lovely interview here with both Clyde and Jabo Starks

26 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

We know they were also very influenced by both Joni Mitchell and CSN&Y. In fact, I'd go as far to say that Plant got his "it makes me wonder" line (which he turned into a refrain), from the song Deja Vu. I also think Zeppelins live 'sit down acoustic sets' were directly inspired by CS&N 

Aye!  Bonzo also was mentioned playing along with Joni Mitchell's Court And Spark album. Maybe in Thunder Of Drums or Mick Bonham's book, I don't recall for sure .

• 4 weeks later...

For Classic Artists.  Led Zeppelin and James Brown are tied for me.  Love them both equally.  Its funny.  Both of them are very powerful live.  I don't know if one could out rock the other.  

James Brown's prime where he was most feirce was 1965 to 1975.  Zep 1969 to 1976.  

I'm reading Colin Harper's book about John McLaughlin (Echoes from Then) at the moment & Narada Michael Walden mentions Robert Plant hanging out backstage at a Mahavishnu Orchestra gig circa 1974. I've no idea whether he liked them or not but thought it was interesting that he was there.

7 hours ago, Mook said:

I'm reading Colin Harper's book about John McLaughlin (Echoes from Then) at the moment & Narada Michael Walden mentions Robert Plant hanging out backstage at a Mahavishnu Orchestra gig circa 1974. I've no idea whether he liked them or not but thought it was interesting that he was there.

There's a link here to John McLaughlin's mid 60s session dates & he crossed paths with JPJ fairly often too.

http://www.bathedinlightning.com/bonus material/john_mclaughlin_as_session_man__known_releases__1964_67_.html

Page did mention he thought Mahavishnu John Mclaughlin's playing was interesting, and Miles Davis fusion stuff as

well. He sort of pointed out that Jazz was becoming much more electric guitar orientated or centered, and that many

R'n'Roll elements were creeping into Jazz. Jimmy also praised EVH for coming up with a new style, and actually said

he tried to play some of his stuff, but just couldn't get it. Jimmy also praised Santana's rhythm section after jamming

with them when both were on tour in Europe in 80'. Jimmy said that there was a much bigger range of what you could

do on guitar with that kind of polyrhythmic backing, or words to that effect.

Archived