Led Zeppelin in Las Vegas?

albionremain

GOT IT! According to Ritchie (Yorkie) Jimmy was flown into and out of JFK. Assuming he

took the most expedient flight - and given the time constraints he undoubtedly did - he

would have flown LAX to JFK & back. If Pam's recollection is correct, he did so on 8/11.

This leaves 7/31 as the sole remaining possibility for Led Zeppelin's Ice Palace concert.

The search for confirmation continues.

amazing SAJ, tks.....I will post the responses likewise...I have couple other resources that I have written to, there is a chance for historic Ice Palace records.......the information can take a few days to a week as I was told...I will definitely update and post likewise....

...and also, now I don't see reason for Page to fly on July 31...off day...Led Zep II was not in it's final stages...Aug...date is getting closer...likewise, they are concluding with Kramer...

add

not sure but perhaps, The "Salt Lake City" connection quite possibly is a reference to Elvis/Vegas travel later that P.M...due to time constraints, it is not know if they/all parties connected right at Airport, or not...

Edited by PlanetPage

not sure but perhaps, The "Salt Lake City" connection quite possibly is a reference to Elvis/Vegas travel later that P.M...due to time constraints, it is not know if they/all parties connected right at Airport, or not...

The reference to Salt Lake City may have been misunderstood along the way, but it

may not. I think Ritchie originally wrote in his book something along the lines of "Jimmy arrived in NY from Salt Lake City". If that is what he wrote and it is taken literally it

means Jimmy's flight originated from SLC or connected in SLC from LAX.

how come no one can ask page, plant or jones directly? or see official band records?

Unfortunately, official band records can be inconclusive, incomplete or non-existent.

Mike Tell allegedly promoted this concert and he did everything by the seat of his

pants. If it really happened it was hastily arranged. No press or promo materials are

known to exist.

As far as the band members themselves, they do of course recall meeting Elvis but I am

to understand none of them recall this gig.

GOT IT! According to Ritchie (Yorkie) Jimmy was flown into and out of JFK. Assuming he

took the most expedient flight - and given the time constraints he undoubtedly did - he

would have flown LAX to JFK & back. If Pam's recollection is correct, he did so on 8/11.

This leaves 7/31 as the sole remaining possibility for Led Zeppelin's Ice Palace concert.

The search for confirmation continues.

They were in Eugene, Oregon on July 31, receiving gold discs.

They were in Eugene, Oregon on July 31, receiving gold discs.

I have a note which says the same but I've doubted the accuracy of it as I thought someone else told me they were presented in New York.

How sure are we about them having been presented in Eugene, OR 7/31/69?

I have a note which says the same but I've doubted the accuracy of it as I thought someone else told me they were presented in New York.

..SAJ..see post #80 Jerry Wexler..New York..the advertisements/articles presented by MikeZep61 (clippings in addition to blochoboy)

Well Steve, there's the rub, I guess. :slapface: I relied on The Concert File for this - usually correct. It did seem like a somewhat strange location, but then again, even more strange if they made a mistake about it, right? Anyway, I went and checked The Press Reports, but these aren't really conclusive either. Probably the date is correct - e.g. July 31 - but there was indeed a report in NME on August 2 that it happened in New York. I don't know what Lewis and Pallett were relying on. In the other press announcements there is no info about where it took place, or indeed when. Here's a couple of photos from the occasion.

GoldDiscsOMSC02.jpg

GoldDiscsOMSC01.jpg

If this took place in NYC, then it will have been around the same time as when Jimmy flew in from Salt Lake City according to Ritchie Yorke, who is unlikely to remember that wrongly, seeing as he was writing liner notes in NYC, and got to listen to four songs in the studio and was given an acetate copy of them!

Well Steve, there's the rub, I guess. slapface.gif I relied on The Concert File for this - usually correct. It did seem like a somewhat strange location, but then again, even more strange if they made a mistake about it, right? Anyway, I went and checked The Press Reports, but these aren't really conclusive either. Probably the date is correct - e.g. July 31 - but there was indeed a report in NME on August 2 that it happened in New York. I don't know what Lewis and Pallett were relying on. In the other press announcements there is no info about where it took place, or indeed when. Here's a couple of photos from the occasion.

If this took place in NYC, then it will have been around the same time as when Jimmy flew in from Salt Lake City according to Ritchie Yorke, who is unlikely to remember that wrongly, seeing as he was writing liner notes in NYC, and got to listen to four songs in the studio and was given an acetate copy of them!

It could have been 7/21/69 as they played Central Park on that date, or during their few days off afterward.

69-08-02NMEa.jpg

...in this case entire band is present in New York off day July 31st...show on August 1, Santa Barbara,

Here, since Miss P is engaged in very close relationship...she has noted all of the sequence of events in her togetherness with Page...original point...no mention of Vegas Date on Aug. 11/12, just Elvis...

...SAJ, I also think you are highly correct about July 21...note what Jimmy shows Tiffany watches that he says he received after their date in Chicago last weekend...

(close approx. to New York)

Edited by PlanetPage

69-08-02NMEa.jpg

...in this case entire band is present in New York off day July 31st...show on August 1, Santa Barbara,

Here, since Miss P is engaged in very close relationship...she has noted all of the sequence of events in her togetherness with Page...original point...no mention of Vegas Date on Aug. 11/12, just Elvis...

It doesn't make sense to be in NYC on 7/31. They'd have flown in from Salt Lake City that morning but we're fairly certain they were back in LA

that night. Fly from the West Coast to NY and back for a gold album presention? I don't think so.

It doesn't make sense to be in NYC on 7/31. They'd have flown in from Salt Lake City that morning but we're fairly certain they were back in LA

that night. Fly from the West Coast to NY and back for a gold album presention? I don't think so.

They were headliners on August 1, and must have played late in the evening. Ample time to fly out to California earlier that day. There was also the mixing - done in NYC - in this case of Bring it on Home.

Sunday, September 09, 2001

Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

COLUMN: Mike Weatherford

Readers remember The Doors

Jim, be careful how you undulate on that ice! Hey Kurt, can you sign my dressing room?

Last Sunday I claimed Madonna was the last active music star who hadn't played Las Vegas, and asked readers to share memories of rare shows by icons now in rock 'n' roll heaven.

There were plenty of responses, many centering on The Doors playing the Ice Palace skating rink in Commercial Center.

Review-Journal alumna and Preferred Public Relations President Michele Tell referred me to her uncle, Mike Tell, who promoted the concert.

He couldn't confirm the date, listed on some Web sites as Nov. 1, 1969. But he remembers that because Jim Morrison had been arrested for lewd behavior in Miami, both performer and promoter were threatened with arrest.

"There were more security guards and policemen around that stage than you've ever seen," Tell recalls. Morrison was "so intimidated that when he sang, he didn't move."

Michele Tell met Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek a few years ago. He remembered the show for a different reason: "Because they just put flat boards down on the ice, it was freezing," he told her.

What's striking now is how rock concerts were treated by local authorities as a suspicious enterprise, miles removed from the "legitimacy" of the Strip, which was focused on Eddie Fisher and Phil Harris the night of The Doors' visit.

Jon Jacobsen writes that Janis Joplin was "one that got away" in 1969.

"The city and Sheriff Ralph Lamb would not give the promoter a concert permit, saying that the city would be invaded by the Hell's Angels and the youth of Las Vegas corrupted."

Readers Dan Kempf and Sherrill Denley are convinced Led Zeppelin also played the Ice Palace, though a scholarly Web site lists no date.

"Led Zepplins," as the Las Vegas Sun called the band, canceled an April 1970 concert after Robert Plant collapsed onstage in Phoenix the night before.

Some high school students had planned to protest the $6 ticket price.

Do you think any of them paid $75 to see Plant and Jimmy Page at the MGM in 1998?

In the modern era, Nirvana was the rare group not to play here after its landmark "Nevermind" album.

But Craig Alan Boyle, who managed Calamity Jayne's on Boulder Highway, remembers the band opening for Sonic Youth on Aug. 16, 1990. "They were booed offstage by the restless crowd," Boyle recalls. "I personally was in the dressing room watching Kurt Cobain throw a fit

following his set. Before their performance, Kurt and the rest of the band signed the walls of the dressing room.

"Unfortunately," he reports, "new owners not realizing the historic significance, painted the walls in the mid-'90s."

Edited by SteveAJones

You mean they got the gold discs on July 21? In that case the press reports are curiously late, aren't they?

...I think you have to read the article up top...Jimmy in the article states he go Tiffany Watch LAST WEEKEND in Chicago...

The July 31st Schedule to fly is too tight as per previous............

...I think you have to read the article up top...Jimmy in the article states he go Tiffany Watch LAST WEEKEND in Chicago...

The July 31st Schedule to fly is too tight as per previous............

Yep, you have a point there. :yesnod: And perhaps it was as late as the 24th, as Steve is pointing out.

Yep, you have a point there. :yesnod: And perhaps it was as late as the 24th, as Steve is pointing out.

...since there is agreement logically, and Steve A. Jones has assisted me...JULY 31, 1969 remains the high probability...I wrote to Miss P. unfortunately she does not remember where The Band was coming from...I have reviewed her entries...it is MOST LIKELY that Page is arriving at Hyatt with Band on July 31 (from somewhere?)

...July 31 (entry)......Jimmy Page is coming to town today...

July 28th is extremely remote possibility...travel illogical...

Other than this Promoter Mike tell is coming out with book...HE MUST present the Zeppelin Concert taking place in Community at large.....His self-appointed evidence via his associates will not prove the concert happened ...or he saying it was Summer'69 (as some attendees already said it)

any way back to the Library Search...waiting...

edited for typing...

Edited by PlanetPage

• 2 weeks later...

A: Mike Tell promoted the concerts. (he later married Patty Duke and built an ark in his backyard) Tell flew by the seat of his pants and his concerts were the same. Pinkiny did a promo autograph album signing party at a local record store and I don't recall much in the way of posters or press. We were too worried about getting paid, played, and laid to pay much attention to anything else.

Two archived newspapers related somewhat significant evidence (same news appears in both newspapers)

Pacific Stars and Stripes - June 27, 1970, Tokyo, Japan AND Bridgeport Post, Connecticut, June 28, 1970

...actress Patty Duke borrowed a wedding ring to marry local concert promoter Michael Tell....This is the first marriage for who has brought top rock groups such as the Iron and Led Zeppelin to concert at The Ice Rink..

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/SearchResultsV3.aspx

..so far...I am looking into this newspaper, along with future responses from the archives at UNLV and Las Vegas Library...

Edited by PlanetPage

Archived News - Pacific Stars and Stripes - June 27, 1970, Tokyo, Japan/Bridgeport, Connecticut, June 28, 1970

...actress Patty Duke borrowed a wedding ring to marry local concert promoter Michael Tell....This is the first marriage for who has brought top rock groups such as the Iron and Led Zeppelin to concert at The Ice Rink..

http://www.newspaper...hResultsV3.aspx

..so far...I am looking into this newspaper......

Ho Lee Shit! We are on the brink of a confirmation once again. Just got to get the ball across the goal line now.

Ho Lee Shit! We are on the brink of a confirmation once again. Just got to get the ball across the goal line now.

..I didn't mean to cause any distress, but it is what it is...I have sent e-mail to fan of Iron Butterfly who can be contacted for any concerts questions...perhaps that will bring some news.....

Update from Las Vegas Library - Reference Staff,

Thank you for writing.

I coincidentally asked a friend if he knew anything, and it turns out he was the bass player/vocalist for Wolfticket which opened the show. He thinks the information on the ledzeppelin.com site is accurate.

We are only able to check the archives close to the date you provided. Since these are microfilm records and they are not indexed, we do not have the capability to conduct a broader search that might have any mention of the band. You may be able to contact a fan in the area who could come into the library and conduct a more exhaustive search.

The UNLV Special Collections Staff is much aware of this possible concert as Las Vegas Weekly Reported had already communicated with them about this concert..to no avail....It may take some time for the staff to confirm, as they have various other local Newspaper publications other than the major publications.

The Campus Newletter Rebel Yell published in the 60's/70's to present...but they also informed me that if the concert happened in summer the Press did not publish for summer...anyhow, they are more aware of this now than before...

(IMO)..In any case, the concert cannot possibly take place in August..that is proven so far, both by Robert Plant phoning the New Musical Express and Pam Debarres, both in book/email confirmation to me recently...

Edited by PlanetPage

I coincidentally asked a friend if he knew anything, and it turns out he was the bass player/vocalist for Wolfticket which opened the show. He thinks the information on the ledzeppelin.com site is accurate.

"Wolfticket" also opened the show? I'm going to take that with a huge grain of salt for the moment. At least Michael Chain's recollections are quite detailed and vivid, if not entirely accurate.

"Wolfticket" also opened the show? I'm going to take that with a huge grain of salt for the moment. At least Michael Chain's recollections are quite detailed and vivid, if not entirely accurate.

..I am also reviewing some attendees recollections posted herein..will update likewise...

For now...I suppose if Iron's concerts can be looked into that would be helpful I suppose...I have sent email so far...

I have the Las Vesgas orginal email/contact Staff for reference....

Edited by PlanetPage