Led Zeppelin in Las Vegas?

albionremain

A terrific addition to the archive! Thanks so much!

...the date of the article.......

Email from Washinton State University - with thanks to Gabriella

I did locate the following article from the April 16-22nd issue: (1970)

one last piece of info - according to the Underground Press Collection Listings, the Las Vegas Free Press published Vol. 1, No. 1-44 from Jan 1 - Dec 23rd 1970. There is no publication lull indicated by these dates for the year 1970. In 1971 the publication did not publish any January issues, but resumed publication for the following dates/periods in 1971:

Feb. 17

March 10

May 12 - June 16

July 14-Sept 29

That's all the info I have on their publication run.

The article does mention teens liking Zeppelin....(Mike Tell Formed "Teenage Attractions" earlier in 1966.......

....more later....

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the Webmaster for extending life of this mystery thread and Freedom of Expression. There is no other purpose/reason, but to make sincere/factual contribution to Led Zeppelin Timeline.......

...Here is The Original Article from which Las Vegas mystery concert Fanviews extend...

Sunday, September 09, 2001

Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

COLUMN: Mike Weatherford

Readers remember The Doors

Jim, be careful how you undulate on that ice! Hey Kurt, can you sign my dressing room?

Last Sunday I claimed Madonna was the last active music star who hadn't played Las Vegas, and asked readers to share memories of rare shows by icons now in rock 'n' roll heaven.

There were plenty of responses, many centering on The Doors playing the Ice Palace skating rink in Commercial Center.

Review-Journal alumna and Preferred Public Relations President Michele Tell referred me to her uncle, Mike Tell, who promoted the concert.

He couldn't confirm the date, listed on some Web sites as Nov. 1, 1969. But he remembers that because Jim Morrison had been arrested for lewd behavior in Miami, both performer and promoter were threatened with arrest.

"There were more security guards and policemen around that stage than you've ever seen," Tell recalls. Morrison was "so intimidated that when he sang, he didn't move."

Michele Tell met Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek a few years ago. He remembered the show for a different reason: "Because they just put flat boards down on the ice, it was freezing," he told her.

What's striking now is how rock concerts were treated by local authorities as a suspicious enterprise, miles removed from the "legitimacy" of the Strip, which was focused on Eddie Fisher and Phil Harris the night of The Doors' visit.

Jon Jacobsen writes that Janis Joplin was "one that got away" in 1969.

"The city and Sheriff Ralph Lamb would not give the promoter a concert permit, saying that the city would be invaded by the Hell's Angels and the youth of Las Vegas corrupted."

Readers Dan Kempf and Sherrill Denley are convinced Led Zeppelin also played the Ice Palace, though a scholarly Web site lists no date.

"Led Zepplins," as the Las Vegas Sun called the band, canceled an April 1970 concert after Robert Plant collapsed onstage in Phoenix the night before.

Some high school students had planned to protest the $6 ticket price.

Do you think any of them paid $75 to see Plant and Jimmy Page at the MGM in 1998?

In the modern era, Nirvana was the rare group not to play here after its landmark "Nevermind" album.

But Craig Alan Boyle, who managed Calamity Jayne's on Boulder Highway, remembers the band opening for Sonic Youth on Aug. 16, 1990. "They were booed offstage by the restless crowd," Boyle recalls. "I personally was in the dressing room watching Kurt Cobain throw a fit

following his set. Before their performance, Kurt and the rest of the band signed the walls of the dressing room.

"Unfortunately," he reports, "new owners not realizing the historic significance, painted the walls in the mid-'90s."

Mike Weatherford's entertainment column appears Tuesdays and Sundays.

Stairway to Heaven

Led Zeppelin

Richard Cole with Richard Trubo

Originally Published: New York:HarperCollins Publishers, 1992

Excerpt - Page 95 - Summer 1969 Tour

....The Zeppelin wives joined us for a few days during that tour, including some of the shows in Las Vegas and other West Coast cities......On this particular tour, I figured that by pulling a few strings, I could get us some front-row seats to Elvis Presley's show at the International Hotel.....That afternoon, I had called Bill Miller, the entertainment director at the International,....My name is Richard Cole, "I told him." That night, we had front-row tables. It was the first time any of us have seen Elvis performed......

Maureen Plant is present during the Seattle Pop Festival...... July 26, 1969

Robert Plant watched with his wife Maureen during the Doors' set, eventually weighing in on it during an interview with Ritchie Yorke for the New Musical Express.

http://onthisdayinledzeppelinhistory.blogspot.com/2009/07/ol-blue-eyes-mudsharks-and-heavyweight.html

Promoter in question, Michael Tell's family/siblings influence extends highly into Caesar's Palace in the year of 1969...for hospitality services...

.......for now...

Edited by PlanetPage

found this, don't know how long its been there?

http://www.classic-rock-concerts.com/performances/2251

<h1 class="small">August 11, 1969</h1>

Led Zeppelin

at Ice Palace, Las Vegas

Date August 11, 1969 Band Led Zeppelin Tour North America Summer 1969 Venue Ice Palace City Las Vegas, Nevada, United States Personnel John Bonham

Jimmy Page

Robert Plant

John Paul Jones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Update:

I have been corresponding with Deborah J, a fellow member of this official forum (and avid fan since 1969!) who is in Las Vegas on business this week. She graciously offered to lend further assistance to this endeavor and has this to share so far:

Just spoke with Dennis McBride at the Las Vegas Historical Society. He directed me to University of Nevada Las Vegas and stated that no newspaper articles were printed on this as LV was much more conservative then, however there was a tabloid type publication called Panorama that covered a lot of underground events in 1969 and directed me to Su Kim Chung at the Special Collections Department of the University. I spoke with Su Kim and she said that if I had not heard from her by Monday to give her a call. Her Number is 702-895-2241. She stated that if it was covered Panorama would have more than likely had something in print. I gave her the dates, so let's see where this leads us.

I'll follow up with her if I have not heard from her by Monday!

..I have spoken to that mentioned archivist at UNLV numerous times. I am also aware of that publication via reasearch. unlv does not have copy of this, as it ceased printing.... SEE LINK HERE for magazine info.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=PQqhz7JSQZUC&pg=PA135&dq=Las+vegas+panorama+magazine&cd=1#v=onepage&q=Las%20vegas%20panorama%20magazine&f=false

Tne Las Vegas Panorama magazine originally stared in Florida and moved to Las Vegas '68 in hopes to extend their market. It was responsible for all "teen" events" and Zep would have been listed IF THEY PERFORMED AS OFFICIAL FIRST TIME ACT (which they did not)...since Led Zeppelin only appeared as "Special Guest" then Pinknany Candady or other acts as Michael Tell would have booked would be LISTED...

The aim of this Panorama magazine was to work with Radio Station KLUC from Las Vegas.

The only time Led Zeppelin were OFFICIALLY announced on KLUC was in 1970 for the later canceled performance. According to BIllOBOARD magazine article LINK HERE:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=wCkEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA50-IA8&dq=BIllboard+KLUC+LED+ZEPPELIN+9N&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Edited by PlanetPage

^^^

Sorry, but what substaniation exists to support that claim?

...Michael Chain, I believe indicated that in his interview (sorry, it's been a while since I read it, but I remember it)

SAJ...I have just sent to you a PM..Please take a note of it, and if you wish we will update this...

thanks..

PPage

PlanetPage, I apologize if I overlooked you speaking with the archivist anywhere. Just trying to find an answer:-)

..no need to apologize...tks for finding answers...just to let you know, she is very well aware of the search specifically with me, and others as well. Last year at the very first conversation with her she informed me that Las Vegas Review Journal (Promoter Michael Tell's very own family memeber is journalists in this publication!!) came by and could not find anything...

The said magazine above is a DEFINITE source for July and August listing for '69 Vegas events including the Ice Palace, as many teens events (Concerts)took place there.

If they have any "REPRINTED" news from that magazine somewhere that would be great...but it is I must say highly unlikely...

...LED ZEPPELIN PERFORMANCE IS IMPROMPTU BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT...THIS I HAVE ESTBLISHED TO DATE FOR SURE...

ppAGE

...not edited for spelling..

...Michael Chain, I believe indicated that in his interview (sorry, it's been a while since I read it, but I remember it)

Actually, he said the opposite:

"Led Zeppelin topped the bill with Pinkiny Canandy as special guests and a local band opening the show. Haven't a clue who they were". - Michael Chain

Actually, he said the opposite:

"Led Zeppelin topped the bill with Pinkiny Canandy as special guests and a local band opening the show. Haven't a clue who they were". - Michael Chain

..O.k. ...but they remain special guest...not as FIRST TIME OFFICIAL ACT in Vegas (to the caliber of all other concerts, ie. The Doors......SAJ..I must PM YOU...

later...

Edited by PlanetPage

..O.k. ...but they remain special guest...not as FIRST TIME OFFICIAL ACT in Vegas (to the caliber of all other concerts, ie. The Doors......SAJ..I must PM YOU...

later...

I'll look for the PM because I don't understand what you mean. It would have been their first performance in Las Vegas

and they were not a special guest, they were apparently the headliner. Perhaps you mean because it was arranged on

short notice and not part of a publicized tour itinerary papers and magazine were less likely to advertise/report on it.

...just wanted to quickly update my research...

I have searched the following:

The Rebel Yell - Student Official Paper - The Summer Issue is NOT PUBLISHED

The Las Vegas Israelite - Michael Tell's Paper - No News at all of Zep--just small community related news in July/August

(Thanks to Ms. Eva at the UNLV archives for this and the above posted articles re. cancellation'70)

-The Las Vegas Free Press, the Editor is Jay Tell/Michael Tell's brother, his own news paper did not mention their very own production in the cancelled article...(sorry, photo bucket has deleted it, but I am sure SAJ has saved it, and I have a copy somehere)

I have two news papers that need to be searched, if Deborah is going to Las Vegas then these are of highly interest:

The Valley - another secondary news paper from Vegas for which entertainment secions from Ice Palace were written..

The Las Vegas Israelite, April'70 Issue - I found article earlier that states Michael Tell promoted Led Zeppelin with his marriage news to actress Patty Duke...apparently, this was head line front page news in their own publication...

...The Los Angeles Examiner - it came with Las Vegas entertainment section - this can have ice palace bookings...

I have briefly looked into the possibility of the latter...I do not believe UNLV has a copy, but other archives may...I have not yet done this...

The UNLV has Las Vegas Visitor - this lists all weekly events from '69......it has been listed in the archives..

this can be checked...

sorry, the archivist cannot check all the publications at once and the microfilm is not available for Loan from UNLV as I was informed....

Edited by PlanetPage

• 2 weeks later...

..I have spoken to that mentioned archivist at UNLV numerous times. I am also aware of that publication via reasearch. unlv does not have copy of this, as it ceased printing.... SEE LINK HERE for magazine info.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=PQqhz7JSQZUC&pg=PA135&dq=Las+vegas+panorama+magazine&cd=1#v=onepage&q=Las%20vegas%20panorama%20magazine&f=false

Tne Las Vegas Panorama magazine originally stared in Florida and moved to Las Vegas '68 in hopes to extend their market. It was responsible for all "teen" events" and Zep would have been listed IF THEY PERFORMED AS OFFICIAL FIRST TIME ACT (which they did not)...since Led Zeppelin only appeared as "Special Guest" then Pinknany Candady or other acts as Michael Tell would have booked would be LISTED...

The aim of this Panorama magazine was to work with Radio Station KLUC from Las Vegas.

Update...

Received January 26, 2010 email from UNLV Archives Listings...

....Hi

I looked further and although nothing by the title Las Vegas Panorama, I did find it under simply Panorama. Our holdings are:

1955, 1966 - 1979 (INCOMPLETE) FOR HOLDINGS, SPECIAL COLLECTIONS

...The said archivist in contact above is in control of this publication...

addendum...Publication incomplete as in original years from Florida, complete for Las Vegas

Edited by PlanetPage

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

An additional tidbit that may help track down the specific date..... I asked JPJ about the show (which he does remember clearly) and he recalled that while in Vegas for this gig, he attended an Ike & Tina Turner concert. If the I&TT date can be tracked down, it could help pinpoint the specific Zep date. Also the band attended an Elvis show.

An additional tidbit that may help track down the specific date..... I asked JPJ about the show (which he does remember clearly) and he recalled that while in Vegas for this gig, he attended an Ike & Tina Turner concert. If the I&TT date can be tracked down, it could help pinpoint the specific Zep date. Also the band attended an Elvis show.

I&TT! This could be the big break that cracks the case. I'm all over it.

Elvis played Las Vegas from July 31 - August 28 1969 and I think we've deduced there are only two possibilities based on Led Zeppelin's tour itinerary - July 31st or August 12. It's possible I&TT gig he attended was in LA.

Edited by SteveAJones

I&TT! This could be the big break that cracks the case. I'm all over it.

Elvis played Las Vegas from July 31 - August 28 1969 and I think we've deduced there are only two possibilities based on Led Zeppelin's tour itinerary - July 31st or August 12. It's possible I&TT gig he attended was in LA.

...."That night we had front row tables. It was the first time any of us had seen Elvis perform. And we weren't disappointed.

"perhaps the only dissatisfied person among us that night was John Paul, but it was good natured-despair. Before entering the showroom to see Elvis, we had spent a few minutes in the International's lounge, watching Ike and Tina Turner perform. .....

"He turned to his wife Mo"........

Richard Cole - STH'92 Page 96

This is night of August 11 (as mentioned by Ms.Pamela in both I'm with the Band and Take another Piece of my Heart, further Richard Cole STH states the same...

..August 12 date is not witnessed by Ms. Pamela...They all left and all came back the next day for sure to LA (as discussed before)...

John Paul Jones did witness I&TT but Zep cannot perform concert this date...Highly likely they come in contact with Vegas on July 31...

If there was concert this date Aug. 11/12, Richard would have remembered it likewise as they attend Elvis...

It is further my opinion after reading Page 95 from STH,

"The Zeppelin Wives joined us for a few days during that tour, including some of the shows in Las Vegas and other West Coast cities"that Vegas/West Coast Cities close by remain as a unit...L.A. is not part of this...

John Paul Jones recalls staying at the Caesar's Palace as reported by the Official Site previously...

Edited by PlanetPage