The Doors Thread

eagle87

I saw Jim in 68, he was drunk as hell but eventually got it on.

JimM68.jpg

There's my 3 dollar ticket stub :D

:thumbsup: You were so lucky Hotplant! When I was little, I used to dream of going to LA to see Jim Morrison. He tragically died before I ever got to see him. :'( It's cool that you kept your $3 ticket stub! :D

JimM68.jpg

Were people complaining that they had to pay 3 dollars?? I was reading an article from the 70's where people where complaining that they had to pay 10$ to see Elvis at MSG. :o:o:o

Were people complaining that they had to pay 3 dollars?? I was reading an article from the 70's where people where complaining that they had to pay 10$ to see Elvis at MSG. :o:o:o

No...of course not. That was my babysitting money. :lol:

Yeah, MSG, we were lucky. And I was still in 6th grade...my friends mom drove us and picked us up.

I started rockin at a very early age. Sister was eight years older...she turned me on to folk...I only liked Dylan, and my bro..four years older turned me on to the Stones. We would both make fun of each others favorite bands that it sometimes almost came to blows and screaming ..on my part..right in his ears! :lol:

No...of course not. That was my babysitting money. :lol:

Yeah, MSG, we were lucky. And I was still in 6th grade...my friends mom drove us and picked us up.

I started rockin at a very early age. Sister was eight years older...she turned me on to folk...I only liked Dylan, and my bro..four years older turned me on to the Stones. We would both make fun of each others favorite bands that it sometimes almost came to blows and screaming ..on my part..right in his ears! :lol:

That is great that your friend's mom drove you to the concert - in my case, we relied on mass transit to get us to the venues. Like you, I was also rockin at a very early age - thanks to my friend's elder siblings (and my penchant for tacking a couple of years onto my real age :shifty: ). It was the older cousin of that same friend who introduced us to the places in the city where we were most likely to encounter rockers.

It sounds like you and your siblings may have engaged in what we used to call "stereo wars". :lol:

I would have loved to have been around back then. You could go to concerts By The Doors, Zeppelin, Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Who, The Stones etc, etc. And for cheap prices!!! And when they were in their prime years!! I really missed out.

I would have loved to have been around back then. You could go to concerts By The Doors, Zeppelin, Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Who, The Stones etc, etc. And for cheap prices!!! And when they were in their prime years!! I really missed out.

Not only that, you didn't have scalpers and agency's buying up all the tickets. This pisses me off more than the box office prices

I've seen three of the groups on your list several times and, back in the 70's, always paid less than $10 for a good seat.

It's true. Obscenely high rock concert ticket prices are a relatively new phenomena. For a long time they were close to what the price of an album or c.d. was. (Which is the way it should be)

I remember those days - an album and a concert ticket were around the same price. I used to earn enough money from one long night of babysitting to pay for the album, the concert ticket, and subway fare to get to the concert.

Not only that, you didn't have scalpers and agency's buying up all the tickets. This pisses me off more than the box office prices

Amen to that. I think "Ticketbastard" didn't come along until right around the end of my Zep concert days. The lone scalpers standing in the parking lots never bothered me - if the show was sold out, sometimes that was the only way we could get tickets - most of those lone scalpers didn't try to extort us. It seems that, when the agencies and corporations came along, prices got out of hand.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

I've seen three of the groups on your list several times and, back in the 70's, always paid less than $10 for a good seat.

I remember those days - an album and a concert ticket were around the same price. I used to earn enough money from one long night of babysitting to pay for the album, the concert ticket, and subway fare to get to the concert.

Amen to that. I think "Ticketbastard" didn't come along until right around the end of my Zep concert days. The lone scalpers standing in the parking lots never bothered me - if the show was sold out, sometimes that was the only way we could get tickets - most of those lone scalpers didn't try to extort us. It seems that, when the agencies and corporations came along, prices got out of hand.

Now... $800 for a Eric Clapton concert.

Edited by eagle87

"Ticketbastard" :D I like that one. Seriously though, I'm lucky that I have a friend who works for a big outfit here that has a block of seats for any major show in town. I don't get a discount, but I can get tickets. I'm almost ashamed to tell anyone this as it is a far cry from being the right way to do things. No wonder the cost of a concert is high when these major corps are buying up everything for the benefit of a tax write off. Mind you, I can't honestly say that I miss lining up for a day or two to gain the right to see your favorite band either. I guess we'll have to ask Jimmy to arrange a gig somewhere for forum members only ;) Now if we could pull that off, we wouldn't need to worry about anything B)

If a good seat is purchased for a sold-out show through a professional ticket agency/broker/scalper it probably comes close to that figure - something like 50 to 100 times what we used to pay to see these same artists.

Exactly. Last year to see Aerosmith on Quilmes Rock 2007 Argentina, we had to pay between $210 (pesos) and $450 (pesos). Is like: 65u$s and 139u$s (dollars). 139u$s to see them right in front of you. Well when I say "we", realy im not on that grup, because I couldn't see the show :( .

Edited by eagle87

As far as I'm concerned, if these problems can't be solved with our current technology, then we should go back to the old way of distribution and have a limit of four tickets to a customer. The whole thing has gotten offensively greedy to me.

The current system is broken, wrong, and it needs to change for the better.

As far as I'm concerned, if these problems can't be solved with our current technology, then we should go back to the old way of distribution and have a limit of four tickets to a customer. The whole thing has gotten offensively greedy to me.

The current system is broken, wrong, and it needs to change for the better.

Couldn't agree more. The Page / Plant 98 tour, was my first real experience of having to deal with the possibility of not getting tickets for a concert that I would have done anything to see. If it hadn't been for my friend, I would not have gotten tickets at all. As it turned out, the six tickets that I got for that corporate section, were the only ones sold in that little block of 20 seats. That really pissed me off as I know we could have been amoungst those 14 who never even got a chance to go.

What lucky you are ! :blink:

The doors have never visited France (except Jim at the end of his life, but no concerts was given !)

3 dollars for 1 ticket, it's really increddible it's really less expensive than the "new doors" that Ray Manzarek want us to eat (but which is filthy)

Edited by Manta

My rankings:

Waiting For The Sun

L.A. Woman

The Doors

Strange Days

Morrison Hotel

Soft Parade

Fav songs include Backdoor Man, The End, You're Lost Little Girl, Love Me Two Times, Not To Touch The Earth, Yes The River Knows, Shaman's Blues, Soft Parade, Blue Sunday, Queen Of The Highway, L'Ameica and Hyacinth House.

• 2 weeks later...

Manzarek Eyes Doors Documentary, Other Projects

doors_the_01l.gif

The Doors

Greg Prato, N.Y.

Marking the 41st anniversary of the release of the Doors' classic self-titled album are several band-related projects already in shops and on the horizon. Tops on the list is an as-yet-untitled documentary that will chronicle the group's entire career.

"We have plans for a big Doors documentary film in the works," Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek tells Billboard.com. "I saw the first cut of it yesterday, and it's looking real good. But that won't be out 'til another six months."

You can read the remainder of the article here.

Edited by Jahfin

That sounds promising. My husband has been an unwavering Doors fan for all of those 40+ years. He wouldn't go to see the Oliver Stone film but I'm sure he'll feel differently about this new documentary. Ray Manzarek is a very interesting person.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6353302

doors_the_01l.gif

The Doors

Greg Prato, N.Y.

Marking the 41st anniversary of the release of the Doors' classic self-titled album are several band-related projects already in shops and on the horizon. Tops on the list is an as-yet-untitled documentary that will chronicle the group's entire career.

"We have plans for a big Doors documentary film in the works," Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek tells Billboard.com. "I saw the first cut of it yesterday, and it's looking real good. But that won't be out 'til another six months."

You can read the remainder of the article here.

Nice, thanks for the information man.

Every six months they say this documentary will be out in six months. Wish they would hurry up. And i truly hope the footage is "never before seen" and not just the same old snippets we have been seeing for years.

Every six months they say this documentary will be out in six months. Wish they would hurry up. And i truly hope the footage is "never before seen" and not just the same old snippets we have been seeing for years.

If it takes long, that's because is gonna be an amazing documentary (or at least I hope so).

• 1 year later...