2 Suspects in death on UNC student Eve Carson

The Rover

carson_eve.jpg

Eve Carson - Capital Murder Victim

HILLSBOROUGH, N.C. - The second suspect charged with murdering the University of North Carolina student body president surrendered peacefully to police early Thursday, authorities said.

Lawrence Alvin Lovette Jr., 17, was arrested by Durham patrol and SWAT officers several hours after they surrounded a home where he was hiding, said Durham police Lt. Robert McLaughlin Jr. Authorities had received an anonymous tip that Lovette was in the house, McLaughlin said.

08312164823_atwater-lovette312.jpg

Demario Atwater and Lawrence Alvin Lovett Jr.

Lovette and Demario James Atwater, 21, of Durham, are both charged with first-degree murder in Eve Carson's death. The 22-year-old from Athens, Ga., was found lying on a street about a mile from the Chapel Hill campus on March 5. She had been shot several times, including once in the right temple.

Atwater was arrested early Wednesday as he left another home in Durham that police had placed under surveillance after receiving a tip. He later made an initial court appearance in Hillsborough.

Shackled at the ankles and waist, and with a public defender at his side, Atwater only whispered "yes" when asked if he understood the charges against him. He appeared to have a wound and a bruise on his right cheek at his court appearance. Chapel Hill Police Chief Brian Curran said officers had taken him to a hospital as "part of the evidence collection" process.

Atwater was ordered held without bond on a charge of first-degree murder. His next court date was set for March 24.

"I hope the arrest can ease the minds of some in the community," Orange County District Attorney Jim Woodall said.

State records indicate both suspects are currently on parole. Lovette was given a suspended sentenced in January for misdemeanor larceny and breaking and entering. Atwater was convicted of felony breaking and entering in 2005 and illegal possession of a firearm in 2007. He also received a suspended sentence.

Messages left with the Orange County public defender's office Wednesday were not returned.

In the days after Carson's death, police focused their investigation on several ATM and convenience store surveillance photos.

Police believe Lovette was pictured in two photos taken at an ATM machine, driving Carson's Toyota Highlander with Atwater in the back seat. Police also believe Atwater was the suspect shown trying to use Carson's ATM card inside a convenience store.

Curran has previously declined to say when the surveillance photos were taken or the exact location of the ATM machine and convenience store, or if any money was successfully withdrawn from Carson's account.

Carson was a Morehead-Cain scholar at North Carolina. The university said Wednesday a third memorial service will be held next week at the Smith Center, the school's basketball arena.

"Our interests are in seeing justice served and helping our community during this difficult time," university Chancellor James Moeser said in a statement. "We are thankful for all of the expressions of support pouring in for the Carolina family and our local community in these past few days. Those kind thoughts and prayers for Eve Carson's family and our community have made a difference."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If found guilty of Capital Murder, Lawrence Alvin Lovette, Jr., now 17, ---WILL NEVER GET EXECUTED --- EVER ! ! ! ! Because, your liberal, mealy-mouthed US Supreme Court has over-ruled the States, by imposing 'World Views' on the states, that, juveniles, 17 and under, cannot, at any time, be executed for ANY crimes commited while they were 17 and under, no matter how horiffic or brutal.

This makes me want to buy a gun, so that, if some "17" year old commits a horrific crime in my presence, that I can insure that the lad receives "fair" & swift Justice. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roper_v._Simmons

• 2 weeks later...

Holla atcha boiiiizzzzz!!! Represent tha 919!

Petty thugs live while someone striving to better herself and her communities dies. What's new? I wonder what will happen to them...probably nothing comparable to what they deserve, as per usual in our "justice" system.

Also, when I read the Court membership at the time of Roper v. Simmons, I knew immediately which justices went which way before even reading underneath. That shit wouldn't fly today.

Archived