NEWSFLASHBACK: Page Jams in NY & TX Sep 1974

Jimmy Page: An Encore For Bad Company

From Hit Parader, February 1975

By Lisa Robinson

"It's JIMMY PAGE!" the boy screamed in total hysterical disbelief, as Jimmy went onstage at the Central Park concert with Bad Company for the band's second encore. Jimmy, in town with the band for the better part of the week, had done the same thing in Austin, Texas Sunday night where Bad Co. played a huge festival; both times the song was "Rock Me Baby." It was one of those magical moments, and so great to see him on a stage, playing, again; a stunning climax to what had been one of Bad Company's best gigs on this tour so far.

Jimmy was in great spirits the night before in New Haven; he spoke about how much he admired Bad Company and how well deserved their success was. "You know," he said quietly, "there really is a comparison to be made with this band and with Zeppelin. For Paul and Simon had played together before like Robert and Bonzo did, and all of them came together from other bands like we did, and the combined musical forces just has worked out so well. And it's such a good, strong, virile music."

We talked about the last time he was in--for the Swan Song luncheon, and we laughed about the strange interview we'd done. "I've got some great pix of you in that emerald green satin shirt and pink velvet suit you wore for the whole three days you were here," I said, and he laughed, "Oh yes, the same outfit I've got with me this time as well." In fact, he was wearing a rather familiar looking red patterned silk shirt, and his shoes were in need of some repair (must be part of that vulnerable bit, makes people want to take care of him, etc.) but nonetheless, he looked great.

"I've been working really hard on the LP and a bit on the film," he says, "The album should be out around October hopefully, then I'll be able to really work and finish up the film. There's just so much to do with that movie, editing all the parts together, working the music with it, finishing up my little bits." What? You still have some home movies to do? "Well, I've been waiting for the autumn to finish up my stuff," he smiled, "I did a few things last winter, it's all outside, no restrictions."

"It was great playing in Austin, though," Jimmy continued. "I mean I wouldn't have wanted to do it as an ego thing. or if the band hadn't asked me to. But I must admit it was so great to get on a stage again, I really miss it, and am looking forward to touring again. Probably around January." In England or U.S. First? "I don't know, that's up to Peter," and then, "I mean I really enjoy working on the album, but that's a head thing really, you do need to get in front of audiences and feel that feedback, that energy. I'm really a playing man."

Paul Rodgers was preparing to go onstage, first he pulled a wrinkled, wet, and not-too-clean flowered beige and white shirt from his suitcase. Hmmm, I've seen this one quite a few times. Next came the slightly soiled off-white leather stitched trousers. Added accessories included a thick leather belt and a rumpled scarf. Needless to say, Rogers hadn't shaved in a few hours, which causes him to look like he hadn't shaved for a few days. Oh well, it's all in the image-Bad Company indeed.

Jimmy watched the show from the side of the stage, stomping his feet and in general "getting into" the music. Several teenage blondish girls came up to him with instamatics (probably children of the promoters, etc.) and asked if he would pose for a pic, he smilingly obliged. Jimmy, who can occasionally appear a bit moody and stand offish, was in an amazingly good mood. He was completely charming after the show as we talked some more about the tax situation in England: "I wouldn't leave," he said, "even if I had to live in a cottage. There's just the thing about England-the tradition of thousands of years, and the beauty of the countryside. It's so gorgeous there, I wouldn't want to be without that. The whole tax thing is so ridiculous anyway, hopefully it will change. It would be one thing if they took 61% in taxes, that's fair if you're making a lot of money, and gave it for home mortgages or such, but of course they don't do that." And then we talked about his involvement with land conservation a few years back in the Loch Ness area...

"It was really amazing to get involved with the town council and politics and all," he said enthusiastically, "you really can get something done if you try. I just was upset that they wanted to put up all those pylons in this magnificent countryside, and I really got involved, doing up petitions and all that. Of course at first they didn't know who I was, then later they made a bigger thing out of it. It did do some good, although they ended up doing what they wanted anyway, basically. But you can get things done on that level if you are willing to really get involved, it was a very good experience for me. I feel very strongly about preserving that countryside."

Bad Company always hangs around the dressing room a long time after their sets; much to the consternation of Clive Coulson who has to hustle them in and out of places. Everyone decided to go and watch a bit of Foghat, and then we were back to the dressing room to watch Jimmy, Simon Kirke, and Mick Ralphs doing a bit of, you'll pardon the expression, jammin in the dressing room. Blues, it was, and Simon singing, "Well, I went down to the station..." (That has to be my favorite line in all of music; I went down to the station...I always crack up when I hear people singing that line for some reason. My other favorite thing is Simon's imitation of Jim Dandy..."get DOWN....yeah...." Ask him to do it sometime.) Jimmy looked happy to be playing a guitar, even in the dressing room.

Back in the limo, on the way to New York. Thunder and lightening and looks like the start of forty days and forty nights outside. Jimmy was talking about interviews; "I don't know, I used to slag out at the press all the time, it just seems unnecessary now. I mean, what's the point. It's all down to the music anyway, and I'm not sure that readers want to hear about the sweating out over the music...it doesn't really make good reading." Peter Grant, Jimmy, Boz were having a bit of a disagreement about the music being played on the car radio.

Rather, Boz was having a difference of opinion with everyone else in the car; he seemed perfectly happy to listen to lots of jazz...lots of Jimmy Witherspoon live LP on a special blues program...the other passengers wanted to hear a soul station. "Some virility.." Jimmy mumbled..."really, James Brown, anything." Boz turned around from the front seat grinning as Donald Byrd and Freddie Hubbard and Ahmad Jamal followed one another; groans were heard from the back seat. A discussion about the merits of jazz and blues and virile music and time signatures and whether or not it was easy to play ensued as we wended our way back to New York.

The following day dawned bright and clear; dispelling all fears of whether bad Co. would have to perform in a downpour (Ron Delsener is a bit funny about rain dates), or postpone the concert a day. Bad Company was opening the show for Foghat, but it was hard to tell who the seven thousand kids had actually bought tickets to come and hear. It was an extremely glitter-free crowd, one would think to look at them that no one was at the Uriah Heep/Suzi Quatro concert over at the Felt Forum.

All the members of Grand Funk Railroad were backstage, although they didn't stop in to say hello to Bad Co. Mark Farner's hair is all chopped off....looks strange. (Someone said he looked like rough trade...) The band played a remarkable set, the audience seemed completely familiar with the songs (well, the LP is number 2 here this week) and they responded with cheers and standing ovations throughout the performance. Jimmy had been standing on the side of the stage by an amplifier and when asked if he was going to play on the encore, he shrugged his shoulders and smiled, "I don't know."

Following the encore, "The Stealer," Paul yelled out to the crowd, "Do you want another one?" and they screamed for more. Peter beckoned to Jimmy, a roadie handed Pagey a guitar as Paul was announcing to the audience, "Here's a good friend of ours and I think a good friend of yours as well, Jimmy Page!" and he went onstage. Bedlam.

The audience, already extremely hysterical, rush the stage, went berserk. Jimmy quickly took off his maroon velvet jacket and joined the band on "Rock Me Baby." As said previously, it was great. He was grinning so wide, he took a few little solos, but it was amazingly unlike a superstar ego thing; he just played with the band, was all. He hugged Paul at the end, and they were off to a roaring ovation.

Backstage, in the trailer, Jimmy was still smiling. It was so great to see you on a stage again, I said. "Yes, it felt good," he beamed. "You know in Austin I went on and didn't know what I would do, I thought what am I doing here?? But I wouldn't have wanted to do it unless it felt right. In no way would I want to feel that I was horning in on the band's thing." He didn't. As Foghat went onstage and the familiar strains of "Honey Hush" drifted out, Jimmy smiled.

Everyone made their way out of the trailer (the backstage area of the Park makes one long for the comfort and glamour of the Academy of Music), and on the way to the limousine several kids spotted Page. "You were great Jimmy!" and "Thanks for coming Jimmy!"...and a bit of mobbing and finally safety inside the car. Jimmy would remain in New York on some business for a few more days; Bad Company, after one day "off" (meaning doing interviews), would go to Canada and then Boston for the end of this very incredible tour.

Yep. I was there.... for a whole all day festival !

The inside shot of ZZ Top's Fandango album was taken with an overhead daytime view of 80,000+ fans in Memoiral Stadium (now DKR Stadium).

When Bad Co. announced that JP was coming out..... everyone on the floor stood up to get a look at the man who had produced LZ I-V...

Z Z TOP put on one their best shows ever, headlining this event, ZZ Top's Barndance & BBQ..

Yay !!!

Both The Rover and I were at that Austin show in '74 !!!! :thumbsup:

It was over 100 degrees while Bad Co. and Jimmy were playing.....It's hard to believe those Englishmen could survive that heat !!! They must've been oblivious in ways we don't know.... B)

Yep. I was there.... for whole all day festival !

The inside shot of ZZ Top's Fandango album was taken with an overhead daytime view of 80,000+ fans in Memoiral Stadium (now DKR Stadium).

When Bad Co. announced that JP was coming out..... everyone on the floor stood up to get a look at the man who had produced LZ I-V...

Z Z TOP put on one their best shows ever, headlining this event, ZZ Top's Barndance & BBQ..

The world of old Zep fans is rather small. I wasn't at the Austin show, but at the one in NYC. Mr. Page was in fine, fine form, wasn't he?

Click to magnify and notice at the bottom about where to get tickets.

Joelmon, thanks! You just solved a mystery for me. This event is always referred to

as "Texas Jam Festival" without a venue associated with it. Come to find out that's

not quite correct, according to your pamphlet. Thanks again!

As coincidence would have it....I also attented the first Texxas Jamm in Dallas, July 1, 1978, at the Cotton Bowl.

I believe, coincidentally as well, the The Rover was there too. Funny, but I didn't know him at the time.

But yeah....that bill had Van Halen, Aerosmith, Heart, Ted Nugent amongst others at that show....

I was working for BIll Graham's Winterland Productions selling Tshirts, posters, memorabilia etc.....:) That was the official supplier of goods then....

Ahhh, you're only honest job Joelmon.... You must remember it well !! :D jk

Click to magnify and notice at the bottom about where to get tickets. Back in the day...hahhaaha...they were'nt just EVERYWHERE !! For instance, Dallas had ONE location along with Ft. Worth.

I obtained mine from a local FM station, KZEW in a giveaway....

We used to hang out overnite at Preston Ticket Agency to get the earliest best seats...What a PARTY !!! :lol:

I used to send in a money order to Preston Ticket Agency, in advance of any tour announcement. They filled those dear little requests by order of receipt. I got 3rd row for Zeppelin' show in Dallas in 1973. And... I got Front row for The Moody Blues in 1974.... And, then, I was expecting great seats for the next Led zeppelin show, which was 2 years later in 1975...... But I got my money order back from stating that tickets would no longer be fullfilled with advance mail orders. And there went a Beautiful relationship had, since 1970, with Preston Ticket Agency, back when all fo the tickets were printed by Globe Ticket Co.

Then, Rainbow TicketMastered-Bastard came to town, and ALL of those niceties went away.... and coincendtally, concert ticket scalping began and flourished. Isn't is great what national corporations bring ? ? ? ?

Archived