australian fans

slave to zep

So be honest and tell me you Aussies. If I were to take a trip to Australia, where should I go? To Sydney? Any good beaches? I know about the sharks, I dont care. The more the merrier.

Sydney is the best place to start as you would be flying from the US across the Pacific and it is a beautiful city with the best harbour in the world, IMO. As for beaches there are literally thousands of them with pristine sand and water.

From New South Wales you can go South to Victoria and Tasmania, North to the Northern Territory (Crocodile country) and Queensland for the Barrier Reef, West to South and Western Australia. Sharks aren't really a problem unless you wear a wetsuit and they mistake you for a Seal!

Great Whites are prevalent off the South and Western Australian coast and occasionally off the East coast.

It is Spring now and the Australian Open Tennis in Melbourne is on in January.

Check out Australia's Facebook page, there is plenty of information there.

Come over you'd love it.

Those that do visit, don't want to leave.

So be honest and tell me you Aussies. If I were to take a trip to Australia, where should I go? To Sydney? Any good beaches? I know about the sharks, I dont care. The more the merrier.

What Reggie said. Just note that this is a BIG country (similar area to USA but with 1/15 the population - more than half of which live within a 60-odd mile radius of either Sydney or Melbourne). Flying from Sydney to Perth, on the west coast is 5 hours and Darwin in the far north is 4 hours.

Like the United States there's much varied terrain. We've got desert wilderness, lush tropics, rural and vineyard areas, many variants of spectacularly scenic coastines and mountains, even alpine areas. And the beaches. The top of Australia sits well into the tropics though and our southern cities don't have winter ice and snow.

As well as the sharks we've got a range of deadly snakes, spiders and sea-creatures but combined there would only be a handful of fatalities per year. Many countries would have far more critter-related deaths than here. Nobody worries much about it.

Post again if you decide to come and when you know more about where, how long and what sort of things you want to see. I'm sure you'll get plently from people on here including local-knowledge suggestions which could make it a more memorable trip than the average tourist - but as Reggie said have a look at the Facebook on travel sites for ideas.

Sydney is the best place to start as you would be flying from the US across the Pacific and it is a beautiful city with the best harbour in the world, IMO. As for beaches there are literally thousands of them with pristine sand and water.

From New South Wales you can go South to Victoria and Tasmania, North to the Northern Territory (Crocodile country) and Queensland for the Barrier Reef, West to South and Western Australia. Sharks aren't really a problem unless you wear a wetsuit and they mistake you for a Seal!

Great Whites are prevalent off the South and Western Australian coast and occasionally off the East coast.

It is Spring now and the Australian Open Tennis in Melbourne is on in January.

Check out Australia's Facebook page, there is plenty of information there.

Come over you'd love it.

Those that do visit, don't want to leave.

Thanks for the info buddy. I really do want to get there someday. The pics are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

When most of us think of Australia we think of Kangaroo's and Kuala bears (both which I love) and those Great White sharks off shore and the outback. If someone was to go there for a week or two, where would you suggest going first? Sydney or the beaches? Do you think New Zealand has more to offer from a tourist perspective?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

All the best!

Happy Australia Day folks.

:beer:

And on an unrelated note,this has been a long time coming:

Doc Neeson Awarded Order of Australia Medal

by Paul Cashmere on January 26, 2013

Doc Neeson has been awarded the Order of Australia medal for his services to music and the community.

The 66-year old original singer for The Angels was diagnosed with a brain tumour over Christmas and is currently undergoing treatment. This news of the award coming on Australia Day was a big boost to Doc’s morale.

Doc was born in Ireland and migrated to Australia with his family as a child. In the 1960s he was conscripted into the Australian army and served as an education corps sergeant in Papua New Guinea for 18 months.

Doc was behind ‘The Tour of Duty – Concert for the Troops’ and held his first event in East Timor in 1999.

After suffering a spinal injury from a serious car accident, Doc announced his departure from The Angels on New Year’s Eve 1999.

In the past decade, Doc had a brief reunion with The Angels in 2008 around the reissue of the classic ‘Face To Face’ album when the band toured the album live. Since then he had announced plans to tour his own version of The Angels called The Angels 100% featuring former members of the band.

The Angels 100% project has been placed on hold while Doc undergoes his cancer treatment for most of this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody else going to see Robert Plant / SSS shows?

Taking my 13y.o. to the Sydney Ent Cent on March 28.

(And he's coming to Deep Purple next week - wish my parent's had been like that!)

Yep,I've got my ticket for Melbourne 3rd of April. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody else going to see Robert Plant / SSS shows?

Taking my 13y.o. to the Sydney Ent Cent on March 28.

(And he's coming to Deep Purple next week - wish my parent's had been like that!)

hubby and i are going to that concert, shadow! maybe we could car-pool?

Archived