australian fans

slave to zep

This is not just an Australian thing in fact it is very international. Doing a little research, there is no clear reason why it happens but many theories.

Designating gang activity

A ritual performed by those leaving school/military/institution

An indication that this is a drug area

Way of disposing of old sneakers

Could be all or none of these I suppose.

This is not just an Australian thing in fact it is very international.

An indication that this is a drug area

Could be all or none of these I suppose.

I haven't seen this in Europe, though... :blink:

But I have seen it here in a side street in Glebe (Sydney) and when I asked about it, they said it was an indication that that street was a drug area.

But I have seen it here in a side street in Glebe (Sydney) and when I asked about it, they said it was an indication that that street was a drug area.

They don't call them "sneakers" for nothing!

According to Wikipedia it started in the USA:

Shoe tossing has been observed in areas of the United States, Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Mexico, Ecuador and Ireland.

Really?? I've never heard that before... What do you do? Go to the house that's underneath the shoes? Or knock on everybody's door til you find the dealer?

I mean there's a pair dangling from Brunswick Street, which is one of Brisbane's busiest shopping streets...I guess there's more for sale than I thought...

Really?? I've never heard that before... What do you do? Go to the house that's underneath the shoes? Or knock on everybody's door til you find the dealer?

Hahhahahaa...believe it or not, but apparently it is true.

Hey, I wasn't interested in that, of course. But after a dinner out in Glebe, a friend had parked his car in that side street and when we got there, I was just amazed to see those sneakers hanging on the wires. So I asked this friend of mine the meaning of that and he said it was a sign that if you wanted to get some dope that was the right place!!! :blink:

No wonder I told him rightaway to get in the car and take off..hahahhahah

Over a number of years, I've seen both a pair of sneekers and then later a pair of work boots dangling from power lines in Francis Street next to Broadway Shopping Centre opposite the basketball court.

Over a number of years, I've seen both a pair of sneekers and then later a pair of work boots dangling from power lines in Francis Street next to Broadway Shopping Centre opposite the basketball court.

Oh yeah, that is the street! I am talking about!

No way! I see this pair off shoes dangling on a power line everytime I pass it but I never thought anything of it. Although I highly doubt that there is any drug activity going on because it's mostly wealthy families and retirees who live in that area.

A street not far from me does a have a computer mouse (with the cord attached) hanging off the power lines though! Goodness knows how they got it there or what for :lol:

God figure! Maybe Adelaide is different from other cities.

I have been there a few years ago. I remember a nice beach, Henley Beach..?? :)

Archived