Current music recommendations

Matthew!

Robert Randolph and the Family Bad, esp. their new album produced by T-Bone Burnett, he had Robert listen to some of the things that actually influenced a lot of the more bluesy Zeppelin tunes. He has a free downloadable track on his website that's one of my personal faves from the new album http://bit.ly/98aXE7

Ever since I saw the RAH that Joe Bonamassa did I have become smitten by his blues playing. Finally got Black Rock and really enjoyed it.

Was going to post the Blue and Evil video, but my POS computer is not cooperating.

• 2 months later...

This might have been mentioned earlier but I definitely suggest checking out The National. I got the latest album - High Violet two weeks ago and have been listening to it on average about 2-3 times a day. Bought their two earlier albums - Boxer and Alligator today.

Here's a few songs from High Violet :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hl6GnmvMMA

I posted a live version of this song earlier in the thread but the audio wasn't very good here it is again, the studio version that is with a music video to go with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_DmUDxtbpY

Band Fred and Toody Cole formed after Dead Moon.

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

Btw, since 2000 at least 5200 contemporary folk albums have been released. Not all of those by new artists but many of them yes.

http://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Contemporary%20Folk/173

I have never really checked out music at rateyourmusic.. I might have to do that.. I have recently signed up for Spotify, which also is a great source for music.

I have never really checked out music at rateyourmusic.. I might have to do that.. I have recently signed up for Spotify, which also is a great source for music.

User reviews can be helpful sometimes so to is just browsing through sub-genres and then youtubing the bands. Is Spotify similar to Last.fm? Thats what I use.

Edit:

With last.fm you can stream music and get recommendations based on what you listen to or listen to an artists/bands radio which is streaming music from similar artists/bands.

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

User reviews can be helpful sometimes so to is just browsing through sub-genres and then youtubing the bands. Is Spotify similar to Last.fm? Thats what I use.

Edit:

With last.fm you can stream music and get recommendations based on what you listen to or listen to a artists/bands radio which you can then stream music from similar artists/bands.

There's also Pandora which works similarly. Just plug in a song and it will play related artists/songs. Don't tell silvermedalist though, he'll swear it's loaded with viruses.

Edit:

With last.fm you can stream music and get recommendations based on what you listen to or listen to an artists/bands radio which is streaming music from similar artists/bands.

Spotify is a channel where you can find loads of music and stream whole albums. Almost every artist who ever had an official release is featured there, not counting bands like Metallica, U2 and a couple of other giants that has refused to be available there (but who cares about them anyway). You can choose to sign in for free and have commercial every 20 to 30 minutes or have premium and pay an amount every month without commercial breaks.

There's also Pandora which works similarly. Just plug in a song and it will play related artists/songs. Don't tell silvermedalist though, he'll swear it's loaded with viruses.

LOL.

I like Pandora. I also like Spotify and Grooveshark, which is slightly different than the other two. It doesn't give you recommended artists/related artists, but it does give you better sound quality than YouTube videos. So if you wanted to listen to more of a band's material for example, you could search for them in Grooveshark and pull up songs. If you sign up for a free account, you can create playlists of your own, look at other users' playlists....it's great. I highly recommend it.

And I've never had a virus problem! :lol:

LOL.

I like Pandora. I also like Spotify and Grooveshark, which is slightly different than the other two. It doesn't give you recommended artists/related artists, but it does give you better sound quality than YouTube videos. So if you wanted to listen to more of a band's material for example, you could search for them in Grooveshark and pull up songs. If you sign up for a free account, you can create playlists of your own, look at other users' playlists....it's great. I highly recommend it.

And I've never had a virus problem! :lol:

Grooveshark sounds similiar to Spotify then..?