I buying a new guitar

MistyMountain67

what are the pros and cons of a semi hollow body ?

I'm not that experienced with semi-hollow bodies, and it's very possible that it's just personal preference. I mean...if it were a bad thing, I'm sure semi-hollow guitars wouldn't exist. Why put in the extra effort if you're going make a guitar sound worse?

The point is, your guitar body's shape and material helps make your tone, as do the pickups and strings. In my (rather limited) experience, semi-hollow bodies have less bass than solid bodies, and I like lots of bass. So much so that I don't mind owning a bass amp and no guitar amp. I can't say for sure if that's true for all semi-hollow guitars though, because I've only played a few...but it makes sense. Less wood, in my understanding, means less bass and a different overall tone. If you've never played one before, it might be a good idea to go to a guitar shop and play a solid body next to a semi-hollow body and see what exactly the differences are. But it all comes down to personal preference, I think.

guys, listen, when i walked into my local guitar shop i was browsing around looking for a new guitar to buy. and this guitar just stuck out above all the rest and i immediatly new (by instinct maybe) that this was the guitar for me. for me, this guitar represents everything i'm about (if that makes any sence).

guys, listen, when i walked into my local guitar shop i was browsing around looking for a new guitar to buy. and this guitar just stuck out above all the rest and i immediatly new (by instinct maybe) that this was the guitar for me. for me, this guitar represents everything i'm about (if that makes any sence).

If you've played it, and liked it, then it's an obvious choice. I've seen far too many players buy guitars because of what they think they need, or their hero's play, rather than get one that suits them and gets the job done. A guitar is just the interface between talent and an audience. It's what comes out of the speakers that counts.

RB

Semi-hollows are seen as rockabilly guitars, or maybe jazz, but they can do hard rock too.

This is true. I have an ES335TDC, and it sounds great whatever amp I put it through. On top of that, I can get it to feedback at lower volume levels than a Les Paul.

RB

Yes, but the feedback situation could become a problem with a semi hollow body if it is unwanted. That is one reason why a lot of rock players use solid body guitars. I would say to try practicing at louder and softer volumes with it, and at different distances from the amp. Then try the same thing with a solid body so you have something to compare it to. If you like the tone and the instrument feels good to play it then I would say to go for it!

I'm not sure if your post is directed at me, fenderguy, but I've used the 335 onstage since 1989 for various applications, and because it will go into feeding-back more readily at lower volumes, I can get almost unlimited sustain when everything starts moving. Backing off the volume pots at higher levels controls the feedback, so I can summon it "on demand". I use Les Paul's as and when I need to, or just fancy a change.

RB

Its all down to preference really, make sure you play it and see if it suits you. Apparently semi acoustics arent good for distorted heavy rock.

I presonally am a Les Paul man, have an Epiphone Les Paul and a cheaper Japanese made LP copy. LPs are great for heavy rock (these are Jimmy's main guitars), blues and I can get a nice clean tone out of my Epiphone.

Its swings and roundabouts no guitar will really be perfect for every type of music.

Archived