Music that irritates your spouse, significant other or friends

JethroTull

Actually, many people I know are irritated by Led Zeppelin music. I can't understand them, but they can't understand me either when I say that the music they listen irritates me as well :) .

My husband's a singer-songwriter/musician, so he and I both like Led Zeppelin, Jeff Buckley, Glen Hansard, Ryan Adams, etc....but there are a few bands and artists he can't stand.

He hates when I put on Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris (pretty funny for a guy who first introduced me to Loretta Lynn), and he's not too fond of Nirvana or The Beatles either.

Don't even get me started on getting him to watch a musical with me - he won't even consider anything like Sweeney Todd or Rocky Horror Picture Show....it was like pulling teeth to have him sit down and watch Across The Universe, which he actually liked alot.

Oh well.

I'm lucky my wife loves Led Zeppelin, but she hates Bob Dylan. She can't stand his voice, can't stand that you cannot dance to 99 percent of his music and she doesn't really get his lyrics.

Thats ok though. Except for the peace and protest songs I always felt that Bob Dylan sings mainly to men. His music always helps me get over rough times with women! (Idiot Wind, Simple Twist of Fate, It ain't Me Babe, Like a Rolling Stone) His lyrics usually deal with men making it in a rough world through strength or through wile. Mostly they are lonely but always seeking a shelter from the storm.

• 2 years later...

Well, my boyfriend is a GNR, Metallica, Nirvana sort of guy. He can't stand Garage Rock or rock which is way too psychedelic for his taste! He gets irritated with bands like Floyd and The Jimi Hendrix Experience! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

But he loves Zep though! :D

Well, my mom gets very irritated with "The Rolling Stones". She calls them "music played with pots and pans!". She has also termed Jimi Hendrix's guitar playing techniques as "meaningless noise which makes her ear drums go pop!" Sheesh! dry.gif I really don't know what in the world she would think of all the Garage bands and Gothic rock bands I've got into recently! LOL! :lol:

And then there's my dad! I do love bands like ABBA (yes, I am into a bit of disco music too! :P ) and the Beegees! My dad terms that music as "cutesey pie" and "girlie" and oh boy! while my mom and I adore "The Ventures" my dad classifies them "a soppy old band meant for old men!". My dad says that I should lay off bands like "The Ventures" and stick to stuff like "The Who" and Zep which he terms as macho music! To this my mom replied : "Take Your Macho Shit and Shove It Up Your Ass!". Yep! This is how my folks argue! Its like a football match at times and I am the refree! LOL! :lol:

And then there are my Uni friends all into shit like Maroon 5, Muse and Kings of Leon. Some buggers hate Led Zep and roll their eyes and term them as "old" music. Oh well! Their fuckin' loss! :P

My kids still won't listen to Zeppelin :( My husband won't listen to anything by Jack White, and he's not very big on DMB either <_< He went to one concert with me, but I'm having a hard time convincing him to go again in November.

I think the only artist we all really is the Zac Brown Band. My son likes the Beatles and Cage the Elephant :)

I can heartily recommend anything by Van Der Graaf Generator or King Crimson to ruin a romantic evening in!

Not unless she's into intellectually analyzing your lovemaking abilities! :lol:

As Adrian Belew once said at a KC concert, "Women who love King Crimson ?, Kind of like Jumbo-Shrimp !"

• 1 month later...

Dude, 2 of my friends are the music Nazis. If more than 10 people know about the band, it's no good. If the people in the band aren't as big or bigger snobs than they are, it's no good. They are hipsters. They do like Zep, though, so they're not a total lost cause. My best friend...you just never know what she's going to like. You can't pigeonhole her, that's for sure. Heck, I don't even know what to say...I think she'd listen to any kind of music as long as it met whatever criteria it is that she uses to decide if it's good or not - I just don't know what that is.

My dad, however, is very particular. Despite being a Baby Boomer, he hates The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Bob Dylan. The Beatles are too poppy and not good enough musicians for him; The Stones are just shock rock, and Dylan is overrated and can't sing. He listens to country...rock's never really been his thing. He does sort of like Hendrix because he's a good musician, and I think he likes Janis Joplin (he saw her live back in the day). He doesn't mind Zeppelin, but I doubt he would just sit down and start listening to them for the heck of it. But about country: he likes old-school country, but not most of the stuff they play on the radio now. We both hate Keith Urban and Taylor Swift. We both kind of like Sugarland, though...I think we both wish they'd do less poppy stuff, but we both like Jennifer Nettles' voice. Other than that, I guess he doesn't like the usual suspects: rap, techno, heavy metal, that kind of thing.

My mom likes "nice" music. As long as it's not too loud or noisy, she likes it. Therefore, she can't stand Zep (especially Robert Plant's singing...I think she would like most of the songs on III and the quieter ones on IV if it weren't for that). She likes the Beatles, but not the Rolling Stones. No Hendrix, no AC/DC, no Metallica, no Nirvana, no nothing. Oh, but you know what she does like? Black Sabbath, of all things! I was playing the Paranoid album one day, and she's like, "Oh hey, who are they? That's not bad!" You just never know. She likes Pink Floyd, too, but they're pretty mellow, so it makes sense. She's not a big rap/techno/metal fan, of course. She doesn't like the more hardcore types of jazz (you know, lots of improv, not much melody), but she does like that smooth jazz crap they play on the radio.

• 6 months later...

My missus and I are 100% simpatico when it comes to music. Admittedly there are some acts that we 'tolerate' for the others' sake- Janis Joplin instantly comes to mind (I can only handle her for about three tunes before I need to smoke a big bomber or pop half a dozen extra strength Tylenol to shake off the headache her voice inevitably gives me B) )- but over the eighteen years we've been together, married for sixteen, there are only three bands I listen to I am not allowed to play in her presence: Aerosmith, AC/DC and Genesis. Any album, any era...strictly verboten when Mrs. Nutrocker is in da house. She can't stand Steven Tyler; AC/DC just irritates her (too repetitive I reckon) and she's not a big fan of Prog, King Crimson aside. But that's okay...my crew at work likes 'em just fine!

Generally I prefer the heavier, rockier stuff. My other half is more folky/jazzy. And it was her idea to have "All My Love" as our wedding song...

Dude, 2 of my friends are the music Nazis. If more than 10 people know about the band, it's no good. If the people in the band aren't as big or bigger snobs than they are, it's no good. They are hipsters. They do like Zep, though, so they're not a total lost cause. My best friend...you just never know what she's going to like. You can't pigeonhole her, that's for sure. Heck, I don't even know what to say...I think she'd listen to any kind of music as long as it met whatever criteria it is that she uses to decide if it's good or not - I just don't know what that is.

My dad, however, is very particular. Despite being a Baby Boomer, he hates The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Bob Dylan. The Beatles are too poppy and not good enough musicians for him; The Stones are just shock rock, and Dylan is overrated and can't sing. He listens to country...rock's never really been his thing. He does sort of like Hendrix because he's a good musician, and I think he likes Janis Joplin (he saw her live back in the day). He doesn't mind Zeppelin, but I doubt he would just sit down and start listening to them for the heck of it. But about country: he likes old-school country, but not most of the stuff they play on the radio now. We both hate Keith Urban and Taylor Swift. We both kind of like Sugarland, though...I think we both wish they'd do less poppy stuff, but we both like Jennifer Nettles' voice. Other than that, I guess he doesn't like the usual suspects: rap, techno, heavy metal, that kind of thing.

My mom likes "nice" music. As long as it's not too loud or noisy, she likes it. Therefore, she can't stand Zep (especially Robert Plant's singing...I think she would like most of the songs on III and the quieter ones on IV if it weren't for that). She likes the Beatles, but not the Rolling Stones. No Hendrix, no AC/DC, no Metallica, no Nirvana, no nothing. Oh, but you know what she does like? Black Sabbath, of all things! I was playing the Paranoid album one day, and she's like, "Oh hey, who are they? That's not bad!" You just never know. She likes Pink Floyd, too, but they're pretty mellow, so it makes sense. She's not a big rap/techno/metal fan, of course. She doesn't like the more hardcore types of jazz (you know, lots of improv, not much melody), but she does like that smooth jazz crap they play on the radio.

Fuck that shit. I hate hate hate hipsters. They are just assholes. Every band thats famous is a sell out group. Fortunately I don't have friends like that. Some of my friends don't like the same shit I do but some do. I can't stand the stuff they like such as Metallica and other bands of today.

My dad likes the same music I do; Led Zeppelin, Rory Gallagher, etc. He grew up in that era. He said in Vietnam aboard the aircraft carrier, every group of people that the stuff they listened to Zeppelin, The Stones, The Who, Deep Purple. He does hate AC/DC and Black Sabbath and I can see where he is coming from. He says it's because all they play are power chords and there is no creativity. I have never really been a fan of either. Both bands have their few good songs but I myself have never liked AC/DC. They are just one of those bands that introduce kids to classic rock. It's all the same chords.

My mom was into, as you said it Footsteps of Dawn, "nice" music. She liked Mo Town, the Bee Gees, The Beatles, etc. She also likes Zeppelin and Hendrix. Anything that sounds good to hear and doesn't sound like noise.

A guy on my street claims that ACDC's body of work puts Zep to shame.....BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

He blasts "For Those About To Rock" and asks me what Zep song could possibly equal it's greatness. That's when i turn and walk away, with the understanding that he is a complete retard.

You are wise. To reply to that would be answering a fool in his folly! ;)

My love of hair metal (mainly, Nelson) invites several jabs, like: "Uh....1990 called...they want their hair metal back" and then I pull out Nelson's brand new album and they are pleasantly surprised and then go download it.

But when I intentionally want to irritate someone, I just crank up the bagpipe music!

Archived