Bonhams Snare from How The West Was Won

zepmaster

Wow, that's an amazing sound. It's undescribable. I need to know how to tune it like that. I have a metal snare myself. It's an accent series though, I've only been playing 3 years. But my snare has annoying over tones so I got a dampening ring. But does anyone know how to get that sound? Does he have wider snares or something?

He used a Ludwig Supraphonic 402 with Gretch 42 strand snare wires. He switched over to the 42 strand somewhere @ 1970 I believe.

In any case he was a master at tuning his drums as well, so:

Great player + great tuner + great drums = great sound

Personally, I feel the snare sound on HTWWW sounds very processed. I blame Kevin Shirley!

I don't think the album captures the essence of the classic Ludwig 402 at all...

However, Zepmaster, I think if you try a coated Remo Emperor batter on your snare drum and tune it up pretty tight, you will be quite impressed with the results.

What heads are you using at present? Even budget snare drums can sound good with decents heads and careful tuning... :)

Personally, I feel the snare sound on HTWWW sounds very processed. I blame Kevin Shirley!

I don't think the album captures the essence of the classic Ludwig 402 at all...

However, Zepmaster, I think if you try a coated Remo Emperor batter on your snare drum and tune it up pretty tight, you will be quite impressed with the results.

What heads are you using at present? Even budget snare drums can sound good with decents heads and careful tuning... :)

Amen to that.

I have a pretty crap snare overall. But I have the HTWWW tone down perfectly. I think though, that it's probably because I spend about half an hour tuning it. Unfortunately I would buy good skins, but I wouldn't put them on a poor snare. So I'm saving that.

What I do have though, I've made the best out of it. I tune the resonant head very tight, and I mean extremely tight to be honest. And the batter head I tune mid-tight; every now and again when it loosens up, I tighten it up a notch. It has the perfect ring tone.

Archived