JimmyPageZoSo56

Best opening song  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Best opening song

• We're Gonna Groove
    • Immigrant Song
    • Rock and Roll
    • The Song Remains the Same

Immigrant Song. There are very few things in my concert-going experiences that have matched attending my first Zep concert and hearing/seeing them launch into the Immigrant Song. :D

I went with Immigrant Song, Ive always loved the IS/HB openers.

Yes, the IS/HB openers are incredible.

Agreed, Immigrant Song. 1972: That drone, and then that completely ferocious attack of a song..... It's a horde of fucking elephants. :)

Great descriptions of the Immigrant Song, 1972, Otto. :D

I saw them open with IS on two consecutive nights at Nassau Coliseum in '72. I remember those concerts as being as good as what I've heard on HTWWW - but better because they played Tangerine. I have never heard any recordings of either of those two shows so it could be just that I am remembering them as better than they were. I thought, when I have the time, of writing something about those shows for the Timeline.

Great descriptions of the Immigrant Song, 1972, Otto. :D

I saw them open with IS on two consecutive nights at Nassau Coliseum in '72. I remember those concerts as being as good as what I've heard on HTWWW - but better because they played Tangerine. I have never heard any recordings of either of those two shows so it could be just that I am remembering them as better than they were. I thought, when I have the time, of writing something about those shows for the Timeline.

I've heard one Nassau 72 show. Not a great recording but full of energy. Very heavy sounding and captures the mood , you know what I mean. A bit of a time capsule for ya. If there was a Vancouver 71 recording out there that was the same quality as this one, then I'd be pretty happy to have it. For the same reason

I've heard one Nassau 72 show. Not a great recording but full of energy. Very heavy sounding and captures the mood , you know what I mean. A bit of a time capsule for ya. If there was a Vancouver 71 recording out there that was the same quality as this one, then I'd be pretty happy to have it. For the same reason

I would love to hear a recording - it was heavy and energetic and that is what the mood was on those two nights. We were all feeling a bit rambunctious at those concerts and I seem to remember that the houselights were put on at least once - either to calm us down or to check that things weren't getting out of hand. I know what you mean - if you were at a concert, even a not great recording is a time capsule from a particular night in your youth.

I would love to hear a recording - it was heavy and energetic and that is what the mood was on those two nights. We were all feeling a bit rambunctious at those concerts and I seem to remember that the houselights were put on at least once - either to calm us down or to check that things weren't getting out of hand. I know what you mean - if you were at a concert, even a not great recording is a time capsule from a particular night in your youth.

You got it ! I'm sure someone around here could help you out with this matter. I'll leave it open to anybody who can assist you. C'mon guy's

I'm divided. On the one hand, I love TSRTS with it's beginning "I had a dream", which said to me we're going on a journey tonight, however that was in 77 when shows could be a bit dodgy. I also love Immigrant Song as it says "You've just been conquered". Rock and Roll never worked so well for me as Robert's voice really needed to be warmed up to belt that one out, and the boots bear that out. It was always better (at least fro Robert) later in the show.

I'll take Immigrant Song. Had TSRTS been the opener in 73, my choice might change, cause it was so powerful then. But since it never happened, Immigrant Song it is! And yes Otto, totally agree on the drone! :thumbsup:

Bonzo at LA on Listen to This Eddie notwithstanding! :beer:

From the list I would say Immigrant Song, but as far as the 02 show goes, I don't think they could've picked a better opener than GTBT. Just listening to the first 10 seconds is heart stopping. I can only imagine what it would've been like to have been there, and to feel the anticipation from the crowd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I voted for Were Gonna Groove.

I don't know what it was, but I have YET to hear them open with Rock & Roll where Plant actually sounds comfortable with it. Maybe in the later years he needed a song to get his vocal cords all warmed up?

I picked Were Gonna Groove simply because it was a good ice-breaker, and overall, Plant usually sounded really confortable with this. A nice and up-beat opener. I think the time period has alot to do with it too - the 1970 shows felt alot more intimate to me and it was a more personal feeling experience due to the crown being smaller.

Immigrant Song started out of nowhere like a god-damn train, which is good if you like that sort of thing. Just not the atmosphere I like for an opener.

I just can't get that damn Royal Albert Hall performance out of my head.

• 2 months later...

Good Question! Zep was great for having killer openings, esp because they usually segued into another song or two before he even spoke to the crowd. I picked song-remains-the-same because it kicks ass for all of them. Bonzo played like a maniac, Roberts voice was healthy again, and Jimmy had great stage movement. Jonesy was good also. But the Rover/sick again combo really put's the icing on the cake.

What ! ! !

You couldn't find the time to put Train Kept A Rollin' and Heartbreaker in the Poll ? ? ? <_<

Did they ever open w/Heartbreaker? Or was it Immigrant/Heartbreaker. But yes "Train in 80" has to be one of the heaviest openings. I couldn't believe it when I first bought a 80' boot, Zurich. Early Train was pretty good also, just not as hard hitting.

Did they ever open w/Heartbreaker? Or was it Immigrant/Heartbreaker. But yes "Train in 80" has to be one of the heaviest openings. I couldn't believe it when I first bought a 80' boot, Zurich. Early Train was pretty good also, just not as hard hitting.

Thr first time I saw LZ was in August of 1970, in Ft. Worth.

The opener was "Heartbreaker"...... :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived