Stone Temple Pilots

2 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

I'm seeing them tonight! I'll let you know how the new lead singer does.

I quite like the new album.

Please do. Have been a HUGE fan since their beginning. Wishing them the best of luck. New disc is pretty good. Miss Scott but he did it to himself and held them back for years. Go for it STP! 

P.S. Hope they’ve finally switched the set list a bit. Playing mostly Core/Purple material gets old, IMO.

4 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

STP without Scott--not to be too crass, but I'll yawn, now...

😏

Agreed, but i couldn't find this comment more ironic considering how AC/DC was able to move on without Bon. Who would have thought in early 1980 AC/DC could move on and be as or more successful without Bon?

If the surviving members of STP have more great music in them, lay it on me. But when I think of STP, I think of Scott Weiland. Might serve 'em better to create a new identity for new music.

^^ AC/DC--as far as that goes--some people can be replaced and some can't. Rather than try to cite other bands (aside from the obvious Zep) and maybe some other examples from various tv shows or whatever, I think the Brian period of AC/DC is where I really got hooked, anyway. 

At any rate, I don't wish any ill will on STP, I just choose not to listen...

10 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

I'm seeing them tonight! I'll let you know how the new lead singer does.

I quite like the new album.

8 hours ago, Walter said:

Please do. Have been a HUGE fan since their beginning. Wishing them the best of luck. New disc is pretty good. Miss Scott but he did it to himself and held them back for years. Go for it STP! 

P.S. Hope they’ve finally switched the set list a bit. Playing mostly Core/Purple material gets old, IMO.

3 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Agreed, but i couldn't find this comment more ironic considering how AC/DC was able to move on without Bon. Who would have thought in early 1980 AC/DC could move on and be as or more successful without Bon?

If the surviving members of STP have more great music in them, lay it on me. But when I think of STP, I think of Scott Weiland. Might serve 'em better to create a new identity for new music.

2 hours ago, jabe said:

Have 19th row center for 8/10.

Going in with an open mind and my wife.

That's the way to go to the show. If you go that way, you'll have a great time.

Responding to the rest - and I do respect Paul C's opinion - it was an awesome show. They played an old theater in not the biggest town on a Tuesday night in early May and got a rapturous reception from an audience made up of fans who were clearly there from the beginning of STP's career.

I started as a skeptic - not only did I love STP with Scott, I really liked his solo albums too (and many people are lukewarm on them). Heck, I even tolerated Velvet Revolver, a band that should have been amazing, but was merely good - a whole not greater than the sum of its parts. I heard the new STP single (Meadow) and liked it - not love, but like. Got the new album - pretty good, not a classic, but a good first step for a new version of the band. If they can get Brendan O'Brien back on production, that might be a good move for the future.

They played 5 tracks from it - they went over well. The rest of the show was from the first four albums (as it should be - that's where their best material is: Shangri-La-De-Da and the self-titled sixth album are not classics either, although I think the final album with Scott was a bit undeservedly underrated). Along with the expected Core/Purple material, there were many songs from Tiny Music and No. 4 - a very good overall mix, with some unexpected tracks from No. 4.

I'll give you a setlist when I'm better rested - one part that amused me was when they were doing an intro instrumental jam before "Dead And Bloated", it sounded like they were going to break into Rush's "Xanadu" - the similarity was a bit eerie...

You can tell that Jeff Gutt, the new lead singer, loved Scott too. Jeff fronted the band and sang very well tonight - in fact, if you didn't know that he was standing in for a key member of the band, you would have been forgiven for thinking he had always been there. He showed absolutely no jitters - in fact, he was downright confident. The rest of the band clearly likes having him there too - that's obvious. Also obvious was how much they were enjoying playing their songs again. Eric Kretz and the DeLeos are great musicians and play very well together - the rest of the crowd and I loved hearing them again on songs both old and new.

Would I go again? Sure as hell yes. I hope the next album will be even better - I have a feeling that the band had to do things on the cheap a bit because there was an element of risk (financial and creative) in their new endeavor. This tour - both on their own and the dates with Bush and The Cult -  should give them plenty of confidence going forward.

The setlist:

Wicked Garden

Vasoline

Middle of Nowhere

Meadow

Big Bang Baby

Silvergun Superman

Lounge Fly

Glide

Big Empty (featuring Jimmy Gnecco on extra vocals)

Atlanta

Plush

Finest Hour

Interstate Love Song

Sex & Violence

Six Eight

Roll Me Under

Dead & Bloated

Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart

Encore:

Piece of Pie

Sex Type Thing

Some of the things I really liked about the show:

no "Creep", but "Piece of Pie" from "Core" - "Plush" was an altered arrangement too, just Dean and Jeff for most of the song.

no "Meatplow" or "Still Remains", but "Silvergun Superman" from "Purple"

no "Down", but "Glide "and "Atlanta" from "No. 4"

Now, I have nothing against the excluded songs - some of them are my faves. But, this setlist shows that they wanted to dig a bit deeper into their back catalogue. From the new album, "Middle Of Nowhere", "Meadow" and "Six Eight" (so called because it's in a 6/8 time signature) sounded especially good. The other two were well received as well.

The songs from "Core" and "Purple" they played last night would be difficult imagining their not playing - they are part of the foundation set, as it were. The only niggle I have about the songs they played is that they could have chosen a few more from "Tiny Music" - that's about it for any negatives.

To reiterate, I'd see them again in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

The setlist:

Wicked Garden

Vasoline

Middle of Nowhere

Meadow

Big Bang Baby

Silvergun Superman

Lounge Fly

Glide

Big Empty (featuring Jimmy Gnecco on extra vocals)

Atlanta

Plush

Finest Hour

Interstate Love Song

Sex & Violence

Six Eight

Roll Me Under

Dead & Bloated

Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart

Encore:

Piece of Pie

Sex Type Thing

Some of the things I really liked about the show:

no "Creep", but "Piece of Pie" from "Core" - "Plush" was an altered arrangement too, just Dean and Jeff for most of the song.

no "Meatplow" or "Still Remains", but "Silvergun Superman" from "Purple"

no "Down", but "Glide "and "Atlanta" from "No. 4"

Now, I have nothing against the excluded songs - some of them are my faves. But, this setlist shows that they wanted to dig a bit deeper into their back catalogue. From the new album, "Middle Of Nowhere", "Meadow" and "Six Eight" (so called because it's in a 6/8 time signature) sounded especially good. The other two were well received as well.

The songs from "Core" and "Purple" they played last night would be difficult imagining their not playing - they are part of the foundation set, as it were. The only niggle I have about the songs they played is that they could have chosen a few more from "Tiny Music" - that's about it for any negatives.

To reiterate, I'd see them again in a heartbeat.

Nice set list, Mrs Walter approves.  I guess it’s a good mix of the “usual” set list we’ve seen for a while with some deeper gems and new mixed in. Songs not played:  ‘Meatplow’ is kick ass and ‘Still Remains’ is a total Scott song - always amazing live. Glad they aren’t playing ‘Creep’, played out. ‘Down’ always rocked hard, but ‘Glide’ is one of my all time STP songs. Surprised about ‘Atlanta’ being played.  I personally love Shangri-La. But I understand they can’t play it all and that album in particular was very Scott and personal to them.  I like his solo stuff too, especially Blaster.  Thought he was going in a good direction, musically, at the end. 

Glad they are moving on. 

6 minutes ago, Walter said:

Nice set list, Mrs Walter approves.  I guess it’s a good mix of the “usual” set list we’ve seen for a while with some deeper gems and new mixed in. Songs not played:  ‘Meatplow’ is kick ass and ‘Still Remains’ is a total Scott song - always amazing live. Glad they aren’t playing ‘Creep’, played out. ‘Down’ always rocked hard, but ‘Glide’ is one of my all time STP songs. Surprised about ‘Atlanta’ being played.  I personally love Shangri-La. But I understand they can’t play it all and that album in particular was very Scott and personal to them.  I like his solo stuff too, especially Blaster.  Thought he was going in a good direction, musically, at the end. 

Glad they are moving on. 

I hope you treat Mrs. Walter and yourself to a show - you'll definitely enjoy it! B)

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...