Jimmy Page´s injured fingers in the 70ies

Jiri

No, it's the injuries I found confusing, not the quotes! I thought on one occasion he injured his hand on an airport fence in the US, and on another occasion he injured it in the train door. But I'm at work so don't have any dates to hand. If there was only one injury, then presumably the airport incident must not have happened.

The airport incident was in '73, the train was before the '75 tour. Two separate occasions. I think if you go back to some of the earlier posts it will be clearer.

I agree that the ring finger is the worst finger to have injured for any electric blues or rock player.

As far as the shows being all sold out, in Minneapolis (actually Bloomington) the show was not advertised--I think that by word of mouth only--- the show sold out in three hours. They should have played two shows like they did in '77. I remember reading a review that said that the band concentrated on the essential "energizer" type of songs, and I don't remember any mention of acoustic songs played. It was mentioned that the show was shorter than expected.

The airport incident was in '73, the train was before the '75 tour. Two separate occasions. I think if you go back to some of the earlier posts it will be clearer.

OK, I was confused because MSG was talking about the airport injury, then the quotes were about the train injury. All clear now. :)

Was the broken finger in ´73 the same one as in ´75? If so - bummer! :huh:

Thx for the great interviews! They explain a lot about Jimmy´s playing after ´75. Maybe his ring finger still hurts under certain circumstances so he has to stick to his old 3-finger-style now and then.

Edited by Jiri

'I'm having to develop a three-finger technique. But it's a drag. It happened when I was on a train in England - on my way to rehearsal.

Well, this remark in addition to no Dazed and Confused in Brussels or Rotterdam has led

me to update my Jimmy Page Chronology -- I've moved it to an as yet undertermined date sometime betweeen December 22nd 1974 and January 10th 1975.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just watched a DVD showing the EC-show of the 24th...Jimmy tries to avoid to use his ring finger whenever he can while soloing. You can see where he wanted to go playingwise but sometimes was limited by this strange technique.

It looks so odd and painful - I have problems watching because I know how much effort this must be. Especially the bendings must have been a pain in the ass.

This also explains why some songs and riffs sound so superb and others just suck within one show!! It´s worth mentioning that the STH-solo is a pain to watch but it sounds brilliant most of the time. The 25th-solo (official release) is just far beyond evil. :(:blink::o

So I think it´s not only the use of certain substances that made Jimmy´s playing so "different" after ´75.

Edited by Jiri

• 4 months later...

Just found some more info. :)

What happened in 1973 was that Jimmy cut his palm and strained a tendon, and it happened in L.A. That's what Jimmy himself told Nick Kent in an interview after the tour (New Musical Express, September 1, 1973). "Such a stupid thing, really - and in five gigs I fucked it up for five weeks. And I had all manner of treatment and injections."

What happened in 1973 was that Jimmy cut his palm and strained a tendon, and it happened in L.A. That's what Jimmy himself told Nick Kent in an interview after the tour (New Musical Express, September 1, 1973). "Such a stupid thing, really - and in five gigs I fucked it up for five weeks. And I had all manner of treatment and injections."

Thanks for that additional bit of info, Otto. Whatever it was and however it happened, as far as that last concert at the Forum, I don't think that the injury affected his playing or his performance at all.

I thought i remembered reading on the garden tapes that at the 75 EC show he broke a string right before the solo to stairway and was forced to play it on different strings?

I'm not a guitar player so I couldn't tell by the vid, but it did sound different from other solos of STH that i've heard.

Going back to why they went ahead with the US 75 tour while less than 100% I'd guess that part of the reason could be that it wasnt viewed as being as important as it latter became. Before Plant had his car accident the plan was to do a stadium tour of the US in the summer/early autumn of 75 so while fairly large the winter/spring arena tour was more about getting back into the game after a layoff.

Going back to why they went ahead with the US 75 tour while less than 100% I'd guess that part of the reason could be that it wasnt viewed as being as important as it latter became. Before Plant had his car accident the plan was to do a stadium tour of the US in the summer/early autumn of 75 so while fairly large the winter/spring arena tour was more about getting back into the game after a layoff.

Well, it was no warmup, but a huge tour (with two warmup gigs in Rotterdam and Brussels), and I believe the reasons earlier cited from Jimmy himself suffice to explain why they went ahead with it.

Los Angeles it is; chronological database updated.

Well, it was no warmup, but a huge tour (with two warmup gigs in Rotterdam and Brussels), and I believe the reasons earlier cited from Jimmy himself suffice to explain why they went ahead with it.

Perhaps not a warmup but it wasnt so important that the band were willing to delay it, the summer stadium shows were probabley there main focus for the year.

• 2 years later...

I have questions about his arthritis.

Is it very heavy by Jimmy? Will he not play in the future the guitar because of illness, is he in therapy because of this? Since which year is he ill with arthritis?

Jimmy has never publicly confirmed or even alluded to suffering from arthritis. He has said he still plays the guitar privately.

• 9 months later...

I am surprised to see that their is no mention of the 1977 incident at MSG, Zeppelin did 4 or 5 nights if I am not mistaken, I was their on the second night, the show was amazing, however the night after I went a friend of mine was in attendance and he said that someone in the mezzanine section threw a block buster (1/4 stick of dynamite) onto the drum riser while page was playing, apparently Bonzo was not aware that their was an explosive on the platform, Page quickly grabbed the bomb and attempted to throw in off the stage, the thing apparently went off as it left his hand, only leaving him with minor injuries. The show was stopped momentarily while the medic looked over the damage to Pages hand, he then returned to the stage with his hand wrapped in bandages. Plant made an announcement from the stage "If you were sitting next to the person who through the explosive you should bring them to the stage", I guess he felt a little revenge was in order. Don't recall if they got the guy.

Does any one recall this incident?

Edited by Stevem447

I am surprised to see that their is no mention of the 1977 incident at MSG, Zeppelin did 4 or 5 nights if I am not mistaken, I was their on the second night, the show was amazing, however the night after I went a friend of mine was in attendance and he said that someone in the mezzanine section threw a block buster (1/4 stick of dynamite) onto the drum riser while page was playing, apparently Bonzo was not aware that their was an explosive on the platform, Page quickly grabbed the bomb and attempted to throw in off the stage, the thing apparently went off as it left his hand, only leaving him with minor injuries. The show was stopped momentarily while the medic looked over the damage to Pages hand, he then returned to the stage with his hand wrapped in bandages. Plant made an announcement from the stage "If you were sitting next to the person who through the explosive you should bring them to the stage", I guess he felt a little revenge was in order. Don't recall if they got the guy.

Does any one recall this incident?

Jimmy was struck on the right hand by what was most likely a firecracker or a cherry bomb prior to the encore at the sixth and final NYC show on June 14th 1977. Though the show was stopped for several minutes before playing resumed and he was in obvious pain it did not seem to affect his playing on the remaining dates of the tour.

• 1 month later...

Try out Vancouver 03/19 and Seattle 03/21 !

I've been listening to New York 2/3 and it's incredible! There's no recording of Pittsburgh 2/1 but they did reincorporate Dazed and Confused. Robert does tell the audience at MSG that they hadn't played the song in a year since August. So it's quite remarkable to hear that he recovered so quickly.

I've been listening to New York 2/3 and it's incredible! There's no recording of Pittsburgh 2/1 but they did reincorporate Dazed and Confused. Robert does tell the audience at MSG that they hadn't played the song in a year since August. So it's quite remarkable to hear that he recovered so quickly.

He had developed what he called a "three finger technique" to compensate for the injured finger.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

This is an awful thing to say for some people, perhaps, but the broken finger served to make Jimmy Page an even more interesting guitar player than he was before.   He became more of a noise artist, and that, to me, was a beautiful thing.  The fact that he then seemed to stick with those alterations well after his hand was repaired cements him as the most interesting guitar player I've ever heard.  He's Miles Davis in my book.

Edited by Mercurious

On 6/12/2016 at 1:02 AM, Mercurious said:

This is an awful thing to say for some people, perhaps, but the broken finger served to make Jimmy Page an even more interesting guitar player than he was before.   He became more of a noise artist, and that, to me, was a beautiful thing.  The fact that he then seemed to stick with those alterations well after his hand was repaired cements him as the most interesting guitar player I've ever heard.  He's Miles Davis in my book.

Page's broken finger in 1975 lasted all of 2-3 weeks before he was playing normally again. His playing was already in decline before that.