MOVIE QUESTIONS: The Song Remains The Same

SteveAJones

I have a couple of questions if you will please:

Are any of the added performances on the rerelese DVD or the CD live performances without overdubs or edits? I know the original feature film had edits and overdubs (not sure if the original album did).

And are the new added songs on the CD the same versions/takes as the bonus ones on the DVD?

Thanks,

Del

I have a couple of questions if you will please:

Are any of the added performances on the rerelese DVD or the CD live performances without overdubs or edits? I know the original feature film had edits and overdubs (not sure if the original album did).

And are the new added songs on the CD the same versions/takes as the bonus ones on the DVD?

Thanks,

Del

I've always considered the soundtrack to be a studio album, not a live one, on account of all the overdubs and edits. As I understand it, Kevin Shirley basically went Pro Tools crazy on the dvd and cd audio to "fix" and "edit". He did the same thing on How The West Was Won. If your a casual fan looking for some live Zep, this will satisfy you.

If your looking for a live document that is historically accurate your probably inclined

to purchase a bootleg.

This was with Modern Guitars:

ModernGuitars.com: The advance copy of the two-disc “The Song Remains The Same” movie soundtrack credits Jimmy Page as producer and Peter Grant [LED ZEPPELIN’s manager who passed away in 1995] as executive producer.

Kevin: “Yes, Peter Grant was involved in the original making of the movie and its soundtrack, but let me tell you, the CDs you have there bear only a little resemblance to the original soundtrack album with respect to the performances included or anything else. It’s all new, all culled from the three nights at Madison Square Garden. The movie was the template for the new audio. To be fair, the movie, at the time, was adequately shot and edited and we weren’t allowed to change any of the imaging, so we had to work with the audio. I don’t know if you remember the original audio, but it was sometimes out of sync and there were many questionable edits, so I tried to make a more cohesive package that flows with the movie a lot better. What you have there really is a movie soundtrack with a few extras.”

ModernGuitars.com: When the movie first came out [1976], wasn’t an attempt made to create something of a surround sound experience in at least some theaters?

Kevin: “Yes. Jimmy

and Eddie Kramer did some mixes, back in the day at Electric Ladyland, and they were pretty good. They tried to resurrect those for the audio, but I think they were a little less than thrilled, which is why we set about re-doing it again from scratch. 5.1 [Dolby Surround Sound] has made a huge difference in things. It’s like taking an 8-track and saying, ‘Does this work as modern DVD audio?’ It might have been state of the art back then, but it just doesn’t fly anymore.”

ModernGuitars.com: The new “The Song Remains The Same” movie DVD is in 5.1. What’s the audio point of view? Where am I sitting in Madison Square Garden?

Kevin: “You’re sitting three rows back, in the center, just behind the gorgeous girl with blonde hair [laughs].”

ModernGuitars.com: What’s coming from my 5.1 rear speakers? The crowd?

Kevin: “There are all sorts of things coming from the rear speakers. Audience, delays, and there are some elements coming back from the rears like in ‘Dazed And Confused’ — the violin bow thing goes all over the place when Jimmy’s climbing up the mountain — some of the drum solos, and in the fantasy sequences the audio travels between the front and the back. So, you’re sitting in the middle of this very interesting experience. There are also the sound effects. There’s the subway train that comes in the middle of the movie right before ‘No Quarter’ — the train comes from right behind you and through the middle of your head, which is pretty cool, actually. It’s a surround experience, no doubt. It’s not a concert with just some subtle rears.”

ModernGuitars.com: What were your instructions? What were you told was the goal with respect to the new edition of “The Song Remains The Same”?

Kevin: “What I was told was, ‘Here’s the movie, and we can’t touch it [the visuals] but can we improve the audio? How can we make this a very good ZEPPELIN experience?’ There are many bad edits with the original audio. With all due respect to Eddie [Eddie Kramer who served as the original sound engineer], the original’s a pretty average mix — but Madison Square Garden might have been a tough venue with the equipment that was available then — it would probably be much easier and better with what we have now. I took it and looked at it as carte blanche. I looked at the movie and would say, that doesn’t sync at all so why don’t we find the right piece that syncs? If you look at the end of ‘Stairway To Heaven’ on the original movie, the visual’s from a completely different take than the audio. I’d say, ‘Why is there a different take?’ and I’d be told, ‘Oh, because there’s a mistake on the original audio.’ Well, I could fix the mistake and we could put the original audio back on there. There are things you can do now that you couldn’t do back then.”

I can recall the last installment to have a couple songs on the DVD version that weren't on the CD version.

Black Dog wasn't included on the CD and was on the DVD in some form.

Heartbreaker was maybe 1/5 on the DVD and not on the CD at all.

I just recall comparing the old DVD and the CD and thinking, hey why isn't that on the CD too?

1. What about this time, does the new DVD offer anything the new CD doesn't?
    (Except the video of course...haha)

2. And what about video for the new songs? Did they have those laying around too?

Edited by guitarmy

Two questions about you my friend: 1) Who are you (as in why would you know a lot about TSRTS)

2) How the hell do you have 300 posts already? :D

1st Question: I like to think I know a thing or two about a particular guitarist.

2nd Question: There's a lot going on with this new site. I'm aggressively supporting it.

I can recall the last installment to have a couple songs on the DVD version that weren't on the CD version.

Black Dog wasn't included on the CD and was on the DVD in some form.

Heartbreaker was maybe 1/5 on the DVD and not on the CD at all.

I just recall comparing the old DVD and the CD and thinking, hey why isn't that on the CD too?

1. What about this time, does the new DVD offer anything the new CD doesn't?
    (Except the video of course...haha)
  2. And what about video for the new songs? Did they have those laying around too?

You may want to read the reviews of these products on Amazon.com.

The Song Remains The Same Collector's Edition DVD

For those of you writing reviews before ever viewing the dvd or knowing about its contents I am surprised. I am a Led Zeppelin fan and this dvd is not the same as its original. This is the whole concert in its entirety uncut with more than 40 minutes of added bonus material, including never-before-released performance footage not on the original release such as "Over The Hills And Far Away" and "Celebration Day"; plus performances of "Misty Mountain Hop" and "The Ocean"; a rare 1976 BBC interview with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page; vintage TV footage from the Drake Hotel robbery during the New York concert stand; and a Cameron Crowe radio show. This set also includes collectible vintage T-shirt with original album artwork design, soundtrack CD, lobby cards, reproductions of original premiere invites, tour schedule, and more.

Douglas R. Gould

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because of legalities involving the director of the film, the most that Pagey was able to do to alter this vintage concert film was to remix with Kevin Shirley, the sound for DOLBY 5.1 and DTS 5.1 and two-channel STEREO. Where this was really noticeable was in the stand-out tracks DAZED AND CONFUSED, WHOLE LOTTA LOVE, and the MOBY DICK drum solo.

Whether it is with the guitar and bow workout in DAZED AND CONFUSED or the Theramin "Pit of Hell" in WHOLE LOTTA LOVE -- Page and Kevin Shirley have been able to add many new dimensions to the sound mix. For example, the rear channels of the 5.1 system have an added new dimensionality to the sound and the overall ambience -- the original QUADRAPHONIC 4-channel mix from 1976 just didn't have the depth of field to sound the way Page intended, using today's advanced technology.

Even the cobbled-together 5.1 surround mix for the original DVD of TSRTS -- which was done without the supervision of audio producer extraordinaire Jimmy Page -- sounds sub-par and quite unsatisfying to my ears. This may be one of the reasons why this never got a fair shake from the group's worldwide fan base, and is largely detested by this selfsame group of people.

THE EXTRAS ...

The second DVD and the printed materials that have been included with this COLLECTOR'S EDITION provide some historical context -- such as the concert reviews, and the news article on the Drake Hotel robbery. Also included are invites and facsimile tickets to the films' theatrical premiere, two sets of lobby cards (one in color, the other set in b & w), a copy of the 1973 tour itinerary, and a t-shirt of unknown size -- which features the soundtrack artwork.

DVD # 2 contains some nice extras:

01) The remaining songs from the concert, which because of space limitations in 1976, were never included UNTIL NOW.

02) A TV news report from Tampa, Florida USA about their sold-out show there, which broke attendance and gross gate receipts established by The BEATLES August 15, 1965 Shea Stadium concert.

03) A nice BBC interview with Robert Plant and Peter Grant, as they ride aboard a boat on the Thames.

04) Extensive news footage on the Drake Hotel robbery, which was never solved, to the best of my memory.

05) A Cameron Crowe radio profile of the band. And, considering what he went on to do with his life, this is nice to have. [NOTE: Robert Plant's infamous "I'm a Golden God!" exclamation found its' way into Crowe's 2000 film ALMOST FAMOUS. This film has another Zeppelin connection. Crowe, in his 'director's cut' DVD of the film, the viewer is instructed on when to begin playing Stairway To Heaven at a certain point in a deleted scene. Crowe could not afford to pay to license the song, and it was up to the viewer to pull out their own copy of Led Zeppelin IV to reach full effect in this scene.]

All in all, a well-deserved update to an important musical artifact of the raucous 1970's.

Kent D. Bentkowski

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody who says this is not Led Zeppelin at their best is simply trying to sound like an expert when really all they're doing is regurgitating something Jimmy Page was quoted as saying at some point a long time ago. As someone who has listened to just about every Led Zep bootleg ever made I can say with confidence that most of the songs are definitive live renditions. No Quarter, The Song Remains The Same, Rain Song, Since I've Been Loving You, are all spectacular! And then there is Dazed And Confused; this song continued to grow and mature live just as the group did. The '73 edition is the pinnacle of that songs existence. In '75 although it was longer, it began to meander and loose focus. Dazed from this show is tight, moves gracefully from passage to passage, builds, releases and shows why Jimmy Page is a master craftsman.

I'm sick of negative reviews of this show!!! All I can say is you don't know what you're talking about. I am very excited about this complete release. Get It!!!

Zep Archiver

Edited by SteveAJones

The Song Remains The Same 2-DVD Special Edition

This 1976 concert film is one Led Zeppelin item that really did deserve to be improved and expanded. In the November 2007 glut of new Zep products related to the film, this 2-DVD set is clearly the optimal purchase. (Note that this review was written after actually purchasing and consuming the item in question, which appears to be a real rarity so far.) The "Collector's Edition" DVD set adds merchandise that will only be of value to super-diehards, and the new edition of the soundtrack album is apparently built around the new remaster of the movie itself and displays some odd editing choices. I have always felt that the purely audio soundtrack of the movie suffers from the lack of visuals - for example, all 27 minutes of "Dazed and Confused" makes more sense visually because you can watch the theatricality of Jimmy Page's stage performance, while merely listening to the accompanying soundtrack can be tedious. To a lesser extent, the same goes for the extra lengthy "Moby Dick" because while soloing, John Bonham could be even more enjoyable to watch than to listen to. So the film itself is the apotheosis of the entire "The Song Remains the Same" project, and this 2-DVD set presents much needed improvements in audio and video quality, with some bonus items that add value for the enthusiastic fan without becoming obsessive.

Though I'm a lifelong Zep fan, I actually hadn't seen this movie in around 20 years. And I had forgotten how cheesy the non-concert footage truly is, with the fantasy sequences serving as little more than period vanity pieces that rarely rise above the amateurish. But who cares, because the concert sequences are stupendous, and in this DVD set they have been presented for maximum aural and visual impact (yes these two shows weren't the band's best, but they were still light years beyond most other rock acts). As for the DVD extras, the interviews and news segments have some curiosity value, but the true goodies are the extra concert sequences. We finally have official video for the blistering performance of "Celebration Day," which was always my favorite from the old original soundtrack album. Other bonuses include "Misty Mountain Hop," though the uncoordinated performance of this song deserved to be left out of the original film; plus a surprisingly heavy take on "Over the Hills and Far Away."

For many years the original movie and soundtrack were the only (official) live Zep documents available. For the real live goods, we now have the 2003 CD package "How the West Was Won" and the 2003 self-titled DVD set, which are considerably more hard-hitting and far-reaching than "The Song Remains the Same." But even though it's no longer the definitive live document, fans have long deserved an improved version of the film. For all but the most obsessive collectors, the 2-DVD set is the way to go.

doomsdayer520

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to share something that may help you understand and appreciate this film even more. First, please understand that I am a huge Zeppelin fan. I never got to see the band in concert but I own all of their albums (in LP and CD form) and listen to them often. I received the new DVD about a week ago. I had not seen this movie before so the first time I watched it, I was a little confused about the various non-concert segments. I found a short but effective explanation of the band's "fantasy sequences," which I have copied below. Now that I understand what the band members were trying to achieve, I appreciate the film more. Personally, I would not have included the clips about the money being stolen or the rude scene where Peter Grant cusses out the MSG guys (about some counterfeit posters) BUT I would not let these small things keep you from enjoying the most important part of the film, which are the music and the performances.

There are dozens of incredible solos throughout the film but I would like to point out one in particular that blew me away and is very easy to miss. It is Jimmy's guitar work in No Quarter. This is the song that contains John Paul's fantasy sequence. This particular solo comes in the middle of that sequence so you don't SEE Jimmy playing it; you have to listen for it.

Anyway, I hope this helps. The older I get the more I appreciate the great music we got during the early 70's. I feel fortunate to have lived during those great years. I also appreciate the fact that we can still enjoy these amazing performances more than 30 years later. Rock on.

ABOUT THE FANATSY SEQUENCES

With an intention to give an insight into the individual personalities in the band, several out-of-concert 'fantasy sequences' were shot by Massot for each of the band members, in addition to Peter Grant and tour manager Richard Cole. The sequences are as follows:

Peter Grant (left) and Richard Cole Massot originally shot Grant walking a cameraman around a collection of antique cars, but this footage was quickly abandoned. Instead, Grant and Cole were filmed as hitmen driving towards Hammerwood Park estate in Sussex in a 1928 Pierce-Arrow car. Roy Harper also makes an uncredited guest appearance as one of the 'greedy millionaires' portrayed at a business meeting of multi-national corporations. Massot envisioned Grant and Cole in the hitman roles, as it symbolised the tough business decisions they made on behalf of the band. The female passenger wearing a scarf with Peter Grant driving on a country road is his wife, Gloria.

John Paul Jones was filmed first at home with his wife Mo, and reading Jack and the Beanstalk to his two daughters, Tamara and Jacinda, before receiving a call to join the band on their American concert. For his fantasy sequence, Jones initially wished to use footage from the original Doctor Syn film, but was prevented from doing so as this film was owned by Disney. Instead, his fantasy sequence involved a reinterpretation of the film. Jones portrays a masked gentleman known as "The Scarecrow," who travels at night on horseback with three others and returns home to Sussex, an ordinary family man. The three other horsemen with him are a reference to the other band members. Jimmy Page's girlfriend, Charlotte Martin, and baby daughter Scarlet Page can be briefly seen during the closing moments of this sequence, which was filmed in October 1973. Thematic music: "No Quarter".

In his fantasy sequence, Robert Plant was captured relaxing on his Welsh country farm with his wife Maureen, and children Karac and Carmen. His fantasy sequence involves him being a knight rescuing a fair maiden (played by Virginia Parker), who is a symbolic representation for his vision of the ideal - his personal search for the Holy Grail. Scenes from the sword fight were filmed at Raglan Castle in Wales while the sailing, horseback riding and beach scenes were shot at Aberdovey then Merionethshire and now Gwynedd, in October 1973. Thematic music: "The Song Remains the Same" and "The Rain Song".

Jimmy Page is filmed sitting by a lake next to his 18th century manor at Plumpton, Sussex, playing a hurdy gurdy. The tune played is called "Autumn Lake" and the scene was filmed in October 1973. Page's fantasy role involved climbing up the face of a snow capped mountain near Boleskine House, Loch Ness during the nights of a full moon on December 10 and 11, 1973. The act was meant to show man fighting his way to the top, only to be greeted by The Hermit on the untitled fourth album. Thematic music: "Dazed and Confused".

John Bonham was shot with his wife Pat and son Jason Bonham on their country estate, Old Hyde Farm in Worcestershire. It is interesting to note that part of his fantasy includes him spending time at home with his family. Bonham was known for falling into deep depressions while on tour away from his family. His heavy drinking, which ultimately resulted in his death, is usually attributed to his homesickness. The game of pool was shot at The Old Hyde Hotel and the Harley-Davidson riding near Blackpool. His fantasy sequence is the most straightforward of all the members, with Bonham drag racing an AA Fueler at 260mph at Santa Pod Raceway, Wellingborough, Northants, UK, in October 1973. Thematic music: "Moby Dick".

Bacchus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally they have released this entire show with the proper sound quality! I have been waiting for them to do this for years and I do appreciate the effort. On the negative side however, unfortunately they decided to put the edited songs from the new soundtrack of the movie (done to match the visuals of the film) on to the CD?? This was just plain lazy and insulting. This wasn't even done back in 76!! There should have been no limit to what they could have put on the CDs. They didn't have to match the audio to the film footage so they should have re-mastered the best available performances, in their entirety, from all the available 73 Madison Square Garden shows into one complete show on a 3 CD set! Instead they just did a direct transfer from the re-mastered Movie and new songs on DVD II to the CD in the original running order of the concert (this is why I give four stars instead of five for the CD and Five stars for the DVD). Back in 76 They chose better song versions for the album then what was in the movie because they could, and some of these performances are possibly their very best live versions of some of these songs and far better than the ones on this current CD or DVD (for instance compare this new version CD/DVD to the older version Song Remains the Same CD/Album of Celebration Day which had Page's greatest realized live guitar solo ever for this song and then compare the older audio version of the middle section and Jimmy's guitar passage/solo on No Quarter to this new version. There is absolutely no comparison and this was arguably one of Page's greatest live solos ever-bold statement I know but true- , and the comparisons of whole lotta love from new to the old CD/album is an absolute joke! All of these old versions are now completely lost in this new shuffle as a few examples- Inexcusable!! Hang on to the old CD/Album!) .

This all being said, we must appreciate that Zeppelin is even trying to fix up and put out some of their priceless material officially and with superior sound these days (for profit or not). So in summary the performances we do have here are different from the ones released in 76. The new additions are greatly welcomed, the sound is better across the board, However some of these new versions of songs are not even close to as good as the old album versions that were some of the best live Zeppelin realizations of these songs ever and that have now been lost. Overall though we are talking about Led Zeppelin during their peak tour and of some of there best performances ever (proven in detail below!!). This alone will hopefully and finally put these incredible performances in their deserving historical place, perspective and give them their do justice. This brings me to my next important point.

Don't listen to the negative reviewers calling themselves Zeppelin fans. I can tell from what many have written that they don't know Jack squat about Zeppelin or what they were like live throughout their career. They are merely clowns dressed in sheep's clothing wanting to hear themselves talk about something they know very little about (their extravagantly large red floppy shoes give them away).

Led Zeppelin has been my favorite band for the past 29 years and I have read, studied and listened to their entire career (every tour of live performances included) in depth. I will tell you in simple chapter and verse that this show (culmination of shows at Madison Square Garden at the end of their 1973 tour) is incredibly underrated and has been horribly misrepresented and maligned over the years by a few people that are full of hot air. I don't care how many of these sheople/clowns try to say that these were sub par performances (even Page himself has tried to insinuate this for unknown reasons in the past and at other times he has claimed otherwise), I'm here to tell you, as an actually well educated die hard Zeppelin fan, it is absolutely not true!! This has just been self perpetuating opinions over the years from hot winded nobodies that really don't know what the hell they're talking about following along with what a few other people have said before them.

Back in the day (1976 and forward) when this movie and the soundtrack were actually released it was one of the most popular live albums and movies (midnight movies) on the market. It was constantly listened to, watched, talked about and absolutely revered by music heads and fans throughout my junior high and high school days in southern California-all the way into the early eighties (It still played at the Midnight Movie into the early 80's!). I have listened to all the great unreleased live Zep performances and proclaimed greatest Zep shows and I have to yell, from the mountain top to all, that these performances from The Song Remains the Same of: "Dazed and Confused (the old album/cd version)", "No Quarter" (the old album/cd version), "The song remains the same", "The Rain Song", "Celebration Day" (the old soundtrack/cd version), "Stairway to Heaven", "Whole lotta love (the old album/cd version)" and the recent release of "The Ocean" are still some of the best, if not "The" best live versions of these songs ever -period!!

To categorically back this opinion up here's a brief, "true" story, of the actual live history of Led Zeppelin for those who would like to learn a little something:

(1968-1970) Led Zeppelin live from 1968 to 1970 was powerful, fierce, raw and unlike anything that anyone had ever heard or seen. Zeppelin during this time toured around the world constantly, devastating audiences and honing their skills and musical catalog along the way. They were new, hungry and building a loyal live and album (Zeppelin I, II, and III) following as they blew everyone away in their path. However, instrumentally the band was still developing. Plants voice was incredible and the Rhythm engine of Bonham and Jones was amazing and would never disappoint throughout Zeppelin's career yet they were still young and developing their craft. As incredible as Page was at that time he was still in progress as a guitarist, as a musical visionary, in his image/stage presence, and in his eventual forge into musical territory that had never been blazed before. Page was also still in his climb to becoming the ultimate guitar legend/hero and the unequalled technical and most innovative guitar player of his time. This pinnacle wouldn't be achieved by Mr. Page until 1971 and through 1973 (this can be witnessed from unofficial live recordings between 1971 and 1973 or from "How the West Was Won" 1972). The Concerts from 68 to 70, put into proper historical perspective, are absolutely amazing relative to everything else at the time yet the band as a whole and the material had not reached its next or ultimate level. Page had a vision and he was about to lead himself and this band to greater heights than any guitarist or band had ever achieved.

(1971-1972) Led Zeppelin reached a level of frightening instrumental machinery by 1971. The band members had all honed their skills from countless live performances and non stop touring and recording from 68 onward to the point of perfection as individual musicians and as a cohesive musical unit (Each member of Zeppelin would later be considered one of the very best musicians/vocalists for each of their individual crafts across the board). Zeppelin continued to hone this musical power and devastating musical machinery conquering all audiences in their path around the world during their 71 and 72 tours (as "How the West Was Won" can attest from 1972 and any other recordings you can find from 71 to 72). This was Led Zeppelin at their instrumental best. Their reputation was larger, their audiences were larger, as was their catalog of styles and songs to choose from (Now touring behind the fourth biggest selling album of all time!!- Zeppelin IV). At this time they had honed their stage presence, their cohesiveness and their individual musical prowess to a point that would never be equaled again in their career. Plants voice reached its peak in this era. He would never sing with as much range, control, power or clarity again and along with Pages peak of sheer virtuosity, speed, fluidity, and confidence of playing they had no equals in the rock world instrumentally during this era. Jones and Bonham never failed as one of the very best rhythm sections in rock throughout the Zeppelin Career. Jones and Bonham were always able to match what was coming from the front men, to play up or play down to whatever was coming from Page and Plant. Zeppelin were four pistons in perfect harmony by 71 - 72 and performances from this era can only be described as ferocious, devastating and mind blowing to audiences around the world. Zeppelin's legend, popularity and live reputation had been solidified here.

(1973) The 1973 tour can only be defined as Superstardom. This tour was huge, electric and the band was revered as nothing short of gods at this time. This was Led Zeppelin riding their reputation of being the most successful rock band in the world in record sales, their recording catalog (now incorporating the great "Houses of the Holy"), and from their legend as a live act that they had developed through countless tours up to 1972. The 1973 world tour broke box office attendance records and would be the pinnacle of Zeppelin live as far as their stage persona, rock star status/mystique, catalog of albums/songs to choose from, their realization of their live song structures, the size of venues and audiences, and their ability to still be able to capture the tail end of their absolute instrumental power and peak and play at the top of their game. This was Zeppelin at their most electric -The world's biggest rock stars, flying around in their own private jumbo jet to the world's biggest sellout shows and venues. Plants voice had changed by this tour and did not quite have the power, range or clarity of 1972, Jimmy Page at this time was considered the greatest guitarist in the world and the pressure also began to show on him at times during this tour. Though the instrumental machinery had slowed down a bit, the prowess and power was still there for much of this tour. They were still at the top of their instrumental game more times than not and the band also wielded a bigger legacy, legend, mystique and catalog of albums/songs to choose from. The band had also refined the set list and the structure of live versions of songs to their most realized and refined at this stage of their live career. Also, Zeppelin's further developed rock star stage presence/energy of 73 combined with the energy of the 73 audiences was never at a higher level. This magic chemistry mixed with all the reasons given above gives you some of the most satisfying and quintessential Zeppelin performances of all time. When people think of Zeppelin live in the prime of their career, the 1973 version of Zeppelin is what most people envision. Now to my point about the Song Remains the Same.

I have heard many performances from the 1973 tour and there may be shows with more energy or have certain versions of songs that are unsurpassed yet there are truly very few moments from any other 73 Zeppelin shows that rival many of the songs captured at the end of this tour at Madison Square Garden for the "Song Remains the Same". For instance: Rock and Roll, Celebration Day (the old CD/album version), The Song Remains the Same, The Rain Song, No Quarter (the old version), Dazed and Confused, Stairway to Heaven and Whole Lotta Love (the old CD/album version). These are hands down some of the best realized and performed versions of these songs captured live anywhere and from any time-period!

(1975) Led Zeppelin didn't tour again until 1975 (it had been two years!). The Led Zeppelin 1975 tour was a tour of great imagery, mystery and anticipation for audiences that had built Zeppelin up into something beyond legend or even as gods. However, this popularity, the resultant pressure and drug use over the years (mostly by Jimmy and Drinking by Bonzo), and the long lay off from touring had taken its toll on the greatest live band of all time. As Composers and song writers their legacy was still only growing due to their incredible double album released this same year (touring on Physical Graffiti - arguably their greatest album ever), and their imagery from this tour is at times unequalled due to the famous "black dragon suite" warn by Page, the even longer hair worn by Plant and Page, and the larger stage shows (the first time use of lasers even-a new effect for the time) during this tour etc. However, the band was older, slower and had lost some of its instrumental prowess and pure power machinery that they once had. Plants voice was far removed from the quality it once had only 2 years prior. Page was now battling with a heroin addiction that took its toll from show to show on his guitar playing that only two years prior seemed to be unstoppable and was unequaled from 71-73. This tour was marked by some magic shows that were unfortunately the exception and not the rule at some of their favorite haunts such as Long Beach, The LA Forum, MSG and moments at the end of the tour during their stand at Earls Court in England. Although many magic moments were captured, the shows were instrumentally slower, less technically proficient, and lacked the energy and power that Zeppelin once controlled. Things would never be the same for Led Zeppelin ever again.

(1977) Led Zeppelin toured America for the last time in 1977. Zeppelin hadn't toured since 75 and the lay off again showed more times than not. There were again some magical shows and moments, most notably at certain stands at the bands favorite stomping grounds such as: The LA Forum, Long Beach and Madison Square Garden once again. Their reputation and audiences were larger than life itself at this time. Tragically however, Jimmy Page was battling some serious drug addictions, most notably his heroin addiction. Pages playing could go from close to his hey day of 71-73 to absolutely embarrassing from night to night. There were shows when you wondered if page could even hold up his guitar, much less play it. Plants voice was at times actually better than in the 1975 tour yet the performances as a whole could be shaky with a few high lighted exceptional shows along the way. The band was blowing audiences away at this time from pure reputation and status. Much like the Beatles making audience members pass out without even playing a note back in the 60s. Listening to performances from the 1977 tour, you have to really search to find a few great shows from this tour that can even compare to the power and virtuosity of Zeppelin between 71 and 73. This tour was also cut short due to the tragic death of Robert Plant's son.

(1979-1980) Zeppelin would not play again until they played two warm up shows in Copenhagen Denmark in 1979 in preparation for their two huge festival shows at Knebworth in 79 and then the final European shows in 1980 before Bonham's death. Continued Drug addiction and lay offs only further steered the once mighty Zep downward. Although the band gave it their best effort and put up some very admirable fights (shows), none of these shows can truly compare to the power and devastation these four highly tuned pistons could pump out back in 73 and prior to 70/71.

This brings us back to why these Madison Square Garden shows at the peak of the overall greatest band in the world's career and possibly some of the peaks of the 73 tour itself are so, so priceless and underappreciated. Don't listen to the naysayers (remember, look for their large floppy red shoes) and now go and listen to these treasured performances from the hands down greatest Rock Band of all time with fresh ears, a new perspective and with complete reverence my friends! Maybe in the future we can only hope for a complete best of performance from the entire stand at Madison Square Garden 73 in a full, uncut 3 CD set. Until that time however, we should all appreciate that Zeppelin is at least finally trying to put some of their priceless, timeless material, that has been locked away and hidden in their vaults for all these many years, out to the public over the past few years. Keep it coming and thank you!

Page Master

Edited by SteveAJones

The Song Remains The Same (Remastered / Expanded) (2CD)

I admit I wasn't a fan of The Song Remains the Same live album when it was released back in 1976 (was it that long ago?). The concert seemed flat. When the CD was first issued, I thought it sounded even worse. Hardly any highs or lows -- sound-wise and performance-wise.

But Jimmy Page and Kevin Shirley have waved a magic wand over the master tapes. This isn't the same album any more. It's dynamic, vibrant, blistering. The bass guitar is there now! The guitar rings out clear as a bell. And Plant's voice is right up front where it belongs.

I've been listening all afternoon to this remastered edition of The Song Remains the Same. There have been projects around the house I was supposed to get to. There was another new CD I wanted to hear. But I couldn't take this 2-CD set out of my player. It held me in its grip for the entire concert.

Led Zeppelin continues to astound some 25 years after they broke up, and a full three decades plus after this concert was performed at Madison Square Garden in 1973.

If you've held off buying this because the original version left a bad taste in your mouth, rest assured this is a unique experience now. It's crisp as a new can of Pringles and twice as tasty.

I highly recommend The Song Remains the Same remastered 2-CD edition.

Just Bill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the incredible Led Zeppelin DVD I was hoping for another gem from Jimmy Page and Co. However this new "improved" soundtrack has some glaring faults! For all the huge Zep fans who have listened to and watched TSRTS will notice that the movie has a couple of bad edits involving the sound. On the old album these bad edits are not present making the music that much better. However on the new expanded CD set the bad edits from the film are now included on the CDs!!! The worst example is the funk riff in "Whole Lotta Love" prior to the theremin solo. It has been completely chopped up thus destroying the fluency of the segue Jimmy Page employs as he moves to the next passage of the extended songs. WHY WOULD HE ALLOW THIS!?! Jimmy Page has always given us top-notch production but this error is simply inexcusable. I've been waiting for this cd to come out for months only to be disappointed by someone I thought would never disappoint me!!! There are also several instances where Robert Plant's voice has been over-dubbed to the existing vocal to create some type of echo effect I guess; but it is clear that it is an overdub and not simply a vocal effect used live. The extra tracks are great but I just can't believe Jimmy Page has drop the ball like this with so many bad edits most obvious in the guitar passages and vocal echoes. I've never before been disappointed by Led Zeppelin! This Sucks!

Zep Archiver

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As much as I agree with the other reviewers of this title that is has supurb sound, the rest of it is a very big let down. When the movie and sountrack came out in 1976, they were two seperate items. Now what has happened is that they took the remixed soundtrack from the movie itself and put it onto the CD. What's wrong with that is that there are a lot of bad edits in the movie that were transfered over to the CD itself. That did not happen in 1976. THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. I cannot believe that Jimmy Page would alow this to happen. If you want to save yourself some money this holiday season, buy the DVD and listen to the music. Don't waste your time on the CD (I would take mine back for a refund if I could). I am so happy I didn't get rid of my original copy.

As a hard-core fan who has been waiting over 20 years for this to come out, I do not recommend it at all. A very big disappointment.

J. Novosel

Edited by SteveAJones

These were definitely worth reading, but sometimes can be inaccurate.

The first guy said it was uncut. I don't think that's the case.

Thanks for Bringing 'em on Home to this page.

Hmm, maybe I'll start a new style where every post I have to work in a reference to a song...

Yes who are you, you do seem to of taken over this board. You also seem to have a lot of free time on your hands,I hope you do not mind me saying?

I am who I say I am.

I have not "taken over" anything. This is an open forum and I like to think I contribute

worthwhile posts.

My time is not free; it is very well managed. Some of us can multi-task.

Finally, I do very much indeed mind your intrusive line of questioning, particularly as you sent me a hostile PM last night for no reason whatsoever. You've got a reputation for

starting arguments with people. If that's your intent, suggest you find another board.

I'm here to stay awhile.

I believe that the band had to re-shoot some parts of the concert on a soundstage in England.Can you tell,looking at the DVD exactly which parts these were? Thanks in advance.

Hello Korngold,

They did spend the month of August 1974 reshooting stage scenes at Shepperton

Film Studios in Northern London with director Peter Clifton. It's not always easy to

tell what was staged, but generally speaking, if the shot appears to be a perfect

close-up and they're not perspiring it's staged. The most obvious examples are

found in Black Dog and Stairway to Heaven.

Edited by SteveAJones

I am who I say I am.

I have not "taken over" anything. This is an open forum and I like to think I contribute

worthwhile posts.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Yeah Steve, how dare you make all these Zeppelin related posts in a Zeppelin forum?!?!?!

What I really want to know is what do you know about Robert's grooming habits, Jimmy's occult dabblings, Jones' phone number and where can I find some hot pictures of Jason?!!!!

:angry::angry::angry:

Now as far as TSRTS goes, I do not have the time to really watch it as my multitasking abilities have been dulled by repetitive " Which Zep Song you like best?" polls, are there any new crotch shots of Robert I should be on the lookout for?

:D

Thanks for your very informative and thought provoking posts.

I am who I say I am.

Reminds me of the bible. :D

I don't know what his deal is. But I have to admit that when you started posting I also had the same "who is this guy?" reaction.

But I think it's great that you've got a lot of knowledge and you're putting it out there.

The only thing that makes me do "The Crunge" is the long posts of text blocks.

You probably have some good reasons for that though.

Reminds me of the bible. :D

I don't know what his deal is. But I have to admit that when you started posting I also had the same "who is this guy?" reaction.

But I think it's great that you've got a lot of knowledge and you're putting it out there.

The only thing that makes me do "The Crunge" is the long posts of text blocks.

You probably have some good reasons for that though.

I don't know any other way of presenting that information; apologies!

Edited by SteveAJones

It's interesting movie because there are the parts that you remember, like -john paul jones reading to his children and then parts like on -robert plant's sequence with the hawk attacking the guy in the castle, where the guy is seemingly holding onto a bird tied to his back...pretty funny bad movie stufff.

It's interesting movie because there are the parts that you remember, like -john paul jones reading to his children and then parts like on -robert plant's sequence with the hawk attacking the guy in the castle, where the guy is seemingly holding onto a bird tied to his back...pretty funny bad movie stufff.

I also like what I call the inconsequential characters, who when considered collectively actually do personify the era in which the music was performed. Who could ever forget Bicycle Messenger, Ticket Lady, The Shoulder-Shrugging Pirate, The Controller of the Venue, The Backstage Cop, The No Comment Cop.

Edited by SteveAJones

Will the Collector's Box be released in Australia?

The best answer I can give you at this time is that EzyDVD, Australia's largest online dvd store, has them all on offer except for the collector's box edition. You may wish to inquire directly using the link below:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/mech/quicksearch....&q=zeppelin

Edited by SteveAJones

I also like what I call the inconsequential characters, who when considered collectively actually do personify the era in which the music was performed. Who could ever forget Bicycle Messenger, Ticket Lady, The Shoulder-Shrugging Pirate, The Controller of the Venue, The Backstage Cop, The No Comment Cop.

How could you forget the speed freak guy during -dazed and confused.

The backstage cop, "hey...lotta fun, lotta fun"..

• 4 years later...