MOVIE QUESTIONS: The Song Remains The Same

SteveAJones

If you want the definitive catalogue of edits in the soundtrack, look no further. This guy sat down with the official releases and bootlegs and compiles the differences. At the top of the page there is a link for HTWWW, The BBC Sessions, and the Live DVD.

The way Page tended to work was to cut together the best bits from various nights to create a composite performance.

http://www.thegarden....co.uk/tgt.html

One big reason why there were gaps in the concert footage was simply because ALL the cameras started at the same time, and therefore had to be reloaded at the same time as well. Standard practice for such events is to stagger the start times of each camera so that at least one is filming at all times.

Edited by Flogger59

Also, werewolves being shot and rainbow-coloured blood look cool to a theatre full of stoners.

Yes indeed. I also note how some of the shooting deaths are presented in slow-motion, which was still controversial at the time. It's very reminiscent of Sam Peckinpah's stylized violence:

• 4 years later...

Hello there,

I hope I didn't miss the answer to my question, but aside from the song Thank You, which nights are each song from in the TSRTS release both the original and the 2003 release. I read somewhere the first night was used the most, not sure if that's true?

thanks in advance

3 minutes ago, Tainted cheese said:

Hello there,

I hope I didn't miss the answer to my question, but aside from the song Thank You, which nights are each song from in the TSRTS release both the original and the 2003 release. I read somewhere the first night was used the most, not sure if that's true?

thanks in advance

www.thegardentapes.co.uk -- You are correct, however, that the first night supplies much of the show.

• 10 months later...
  • Administrators
25 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Have there been any members on here who were at the shows and gave an account? Surely someone in that audience would be compelled to make a forum post describing their experience.

There might be some firsthand accounts posted here in the past.  The best place is usually the Timeline section, in the comments at the bottom.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/july-27-1973

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/july-28-1973

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/july-29-1973

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Have there been any members on here who were at the shows and gave an account? Surely someone in that audience would be compelled to make a forum post describing their experience.

Yeah, you'd think some of the notable images of fans in the film would come forward with their stories:

The guy that sticks his tongue out

The kid that gets let in the back entrance

The woman that's holding her hands together during SIBLY

The longhair that gets rousted backstage during D&C

The girl in the underground garage

• 2 weeks later...

What about Jimmy apparently getting totally pissed off because some of the Shepperton shots showed he had gotten a little

potbelly ? Or is this a cooked up scenario, although Richard Cole ( to believe or not to believe!?!??) had often said Page was

quite vain.

12 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

What about Jimmy apparently getting totally pissed off because some of the Shepperton shots showed he had gotten a little

potbelly ? Or is this a cooked up scenario, although Richard Cole ( to believe or not to believe!?!??) had often said Page was

quite vain.

Not just Cole, the director Peter Clifton said this as well. According to him Jimmy got the hump because the climbing the mountain sequence made his bum look big.

On 7/20/2018 at 7:05 AM, 76229 said:

Not just Cole, the director Peter Clifton said this as well. According to him Jimmy got the hump because the climbing the mountain sequence made his bum look big.

That's strange.  I've seen that scene over and over and over and speaking as a female fan, his bum doesn't look big at all!    

One thing I've always been amazed at about TSRTS is that the production looks so high-end.  Were there problems with financing at all on the production? 

It looks SO good and holds up after all these years.  Not 'cheap'-looking at all compared to other early-mid 70s films.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:42 AM, The Rover said:

Yeah, you'd think some of the notable images of fans in the film would come forward with their stories:

The guy that sticks his tongue out

The kid that gets let in the back entrance

The woman that's holding her hands together during SIBLY

The longhair that gets rousted backstage during D&C

The girl in the underground garage

Who would believe them if they claimed to be? I mean they all probably look like sunbaked raisins now, if they're alive at all.

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Who would believe them if they claimed to be? I mean they all probably look like sunbaked raisins now, if they're alive at all.

Don't know... I'd like to hear their story, and perhaps even talk with them. I think I could sniff out the BS one way or another...

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Walter said:

Steve - the plan to film and record the shows in NYC at the end of the tour came together during the final leg (July '73) of that tour, correct?

YES. However, filming a live performance had been discussed as far back as 1969 and was initially attempted in 1970 at the Royal Albert Hall.

On the morning of 20 July 1973, during the band's concert tour of the United States, Peter Grant made contact with American-born director Joe Massot. Grant had previously turned down offers by Massot to make a film of the band, but with the huge success of the band's current tour, Grant changed his mind and offered him the job of director. As Grant recalled:

"It all started in the Sheraton Hotel, Boston. We'd talked about a film for years and Jimmy had known Joe Massot was interested — so we called them and over they came. It was all very quickly arranged". 

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

YES. However, filming a live performance had been discussed as far back as 1969 and was initially attempted in 1970 at the Royal Albert Hall.

On the morning of 20 July 1973, during the band's concert tour of the United States, Peter Grant made contact with American-born director Joe Massot. Grant had previously turned down offers by Massot to make a film of the band, but with the huge success of the band's current tour, Grant changed his mind and offered him the job of director. As Grant recalled:

"It all started in the Sheraton Hotel, Boston. We'd talked about a film for years and Jimmy had known Joe Massot was interested — so we called them and over they came. It was all very quickly arranged". 

Thank you.

• 1 year later...
46 minutes ago, Christopher Lees said:

What is that film effect called during Dazed when the band moves in super slow motion and the colors change to red and blue, a different color on each down beat?

It starts exactly here:

The post-production software we have now they didn't have back then so for dramatic color changes this was likely achieved by manipulating the hue/saturation for each frame in the sequence. There were and remain more than one way to achieve a slow motion effect.

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The post-production software we have now they didn't have back then so for dramatic color changes this was likely achieved by manipulating the hue/saturation for each frame in the sequence. There were and remain more than one way to achieve a slow motion effect.

Thanks for your response. What would we call this effect nowadays? I want to search for it so I can edit some vids and try to do this same thing, but I don't even know how to describe it or look for it. Any clue?

On 10/25/2019 at 6:12 PM, SteveAJones said:

Knowing that now I think the movie came off quite well considering such a silly manner in which it was decided. I would think for such a filming the crew would need to practice with a good two or three shows prior so both the filming crew and the band would know what to do and be familiar with everything.

I always wondered how a professional filming crew and director could cock it up so badly but now it makes perfect sense.