What's the Last Concert You Attended?

Jahfin

Caught most of CS&N last night from just outside the gates (outdoor venue) :D

They're here this week. I've never seen them so I may have to catch this show.

Over the weekend:

09-17_Megafaun2_by_DL_Andersonhoriz.JPG_.jpg

Sounds of the South

Megafaun & Fight the Big Bull

feat. Justin Vernon of Bon Iver & Sharon Van Etten

The members of Megafaun moved from Wisconsin to Raleigh with Vernon as the band DeYarmond Edison. After Vernon went back north to record as Bon Iver, the Cook brothers and Joe Westerlund stayed on in the Piedmont, crafting a timeless folk-pop that “drinks deeply from the well of the past but could only have been made today” (Drowned in Sound)—an archive of rural America's ghosts.

In this exclusive live recording event, the rustic avant-gardists team with Fight the Big Bull, the “thrilling” (NPR) 9-piece jazz collective from Richmond, VA, along with Vernon and the blisteringly talented Van Etten. Together in Durham for three shows only, they'll cut a live album based on Alan Lomax's collection of shape-note songs and dirt-floor hymns, Sounds of the South, gathered during a two-year trek through the American southeast (1959-1961).

Recast through Megafaun's experimental Americana, FtBB's brass jazz, Vernon's "chilly, rusty grandeur" (Village Voice), and Van Etten's haunting soprano, the folk songs Lomax immortalized will live again at Hayti, once an AME Zion church and now a semi-sacred venue whose acoustics rival any studio's.

61209_473612641417_328616341417_6990775_3598208_n.jpg

1. Bulldozers and Dirt

2. One of These Days

3. Feb 14th

4. Gravity's Gone

5. Hell No I Ain't Happy

6. Zip City

7. After The Scene Dies

8. Birthday Boy

9. Girls Who Smoke

10. Sinkhole

11. Marry Me

12. Santa Fe

13. Women Without Whiskey

14. Charlie Drag the Lake

15. Ronnie and Neal

16. Where The Devil Don't Stay

17. Dead, Drunk and Naked

18. Guitar Man Upstairs

19. (One Day It's Gonna Be) I Told You So

20. Buttholeville > State Trooper (Springsteen)

Encore:

21. Everybody Needs Love (Eddie Hinton)

22. Ghost To Most

23. Let There Be Rock

Edited by Jahfin

Recently discovered Bon Iver and am enjoying his music a lot.

I've been trying to track down some DeYarmond Edison (the band Justin Vernon was in with the guys from Megafaun prior to forming Bon Iver) but it's out of print and very hard to find. I have seen Bon Iver once before (opening for Wilco) and really enjoyed them. If you haven't checked out Megafaun yet, I think you would like them.

I've been trying to track down some DeYarmond Edison (the band Justin Vernon was in with the guys from Megafaun prior to forming Bon Iver) but it's out of print and very hard to find. I have seen Bon Iver once before (opening for Wilco) and really enjoyed them. If you haven't checked out Megafaun yet, I think you would like them.

It would be interesting to hear Justin's early works. Bummer it's out of print. Thanks for the tip on Megafaun! Will definitely check them out :)

Just saw Bobby Bare, Jr. and Blue Giant at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill last night. Blue Giant also served as his backing band.

Just stumbled upon this clip of the Black Crowes from last Friday's show in Raleigh where there was supposedly a strict "no cameras" policy in effect by request of the band:

Just stumbled upon this clip of the Black Crowes from last Friday's show in Raleigh where there was supposedly a strict "no cameras" policy in effect by request of the band:

That kind of policy by The Black Crowes must be quite new.. I get the feeling they never had any requests like that back in the days..

That kind of policy by The Black Crowes must be quite new.. I get the feeling they never had any requests like that back in the days..

It's been years since I saw them last (mid-90s perhaps?) but at my previous Black Crowes show, Chris Robinson was getting pretty upset with someone in the audience that was shining one of those lazer penlights at him. I can only imagine they just don't want people filming (which is very hard to determine, particularly with modern cameras) and/or flashes going off left and right. The bottom line is, unless they pat everyone down and remove their cellphones, fans will still be taking photos and filming their shows. While I do respect their wishes, there's really nothing they can do about it.

I was on this gig, Saturday 25th Sep. I'm the guy on the right with the black & white Epiphone Crestwood.. LOL ;);)

Hi Swede! :wave: Really really cool seeing you and your band in action there mate! B) Thanks for posting that vid! :D And may I add, what an awesome way to spend a Saturday night! A big thumbs up! :thumbsup:

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Hi Swede! :wave: Really really cool seeing you and your band in action there mate! B) Thanks for posting that vid! :D And may I add, what an awesome way to spend a Saturday night! A big thumbs up! :thumbsup:

LOL Thanks! Indeed, it is a great way to spend a Saturday night. I didn't get to bed until 05:00 am early Sunday morning.. :D

Here's another song from the same night, a little rough around the edges, but what the hell.. B)

LOL Thanks! Indeed, it is a great way to spend a Saturday night. I didn't get to bed until 05:00 am early Sunday morning.. :D

Here's another song from the same night, a little rough around the edges, but what the hell.. B)

It didn't sound rough to me at all! I liked it! It was all about "Bringing On The Good Times" and you guys were doing exactly that! It certainly looked like so much fun! :D And dude, you've got some awesome guitar moves there! B) Seriously! Have you ever tried to play your guitar behind your back? (like Hendrix often did) Cos that will be so cool! B) And Saturdays are meant for fun (especially after a pretty hectic week!)

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

It didn't sound rough to me at all! I liked it! :D And dude, you've got some awesome guitar moves there! B) Seriously! Have you ever tried to play your guitar behind your back? (like Hendrix often did) Cos that will be so cool! B)

Thanks. Nope, never tried that, I wouldn't get a straight tone out of the guitar doin' that.. LOL I leave that to the professionals. ;)