Vancouver '71

adam_777

Great read, thanks for that post! First time I heard Roberts perspective on the Milan 'riots'.....

Typical....obviously it was a Page/Plant interview and all Jimmy has to say is:

Jimmy Page: It was a bit rough.

Ahahahah!! Gotta love Jimmy....

I have often wondered whether or not Rick McGrath actually caught the show or if he just ended up coming in at the last moment and doing his interview. There are a number of inacuracy's about his comments ie, the stage act being different from the previous year" getting back to a hard rock blues thing". My god. he couldn't have been at Mar 21 /70 and come away with that statement. 71 was Vancouvers first view of the acoustic set. And yes, they rocked the house down as well

I have often wondered whether or not Rick McGrath actually caught the show or if he just ended up coming in at the last moment and doing his interview. There are a number of inacuracy's about his comments ie, the stage act being different from the previous year" getting back to a hard rock blues thing". My god. he couldn't have been at Mar 21 /70 and come away with that statement. 71 was Vancouvers first view of the acoustic set. And yes, they rocked the house down as well

Some good points there.

This companion article was also posted on his site, so perhaps he was going by reviews of the preceding year and didn't have a personal reference point to compare the 71 show to. Dunno.

Anyway, here's his bit about the concert itself:

Ah, yes, Led Zep... the seminal heavy metal band of the early 70s... let's face it, Robert Plant was The Frontman for any rock ensemble, and Jimmy Page was by far the definitive guitar hero of his age. For me this was The Big Time, an exclusive interview with what was probably the world's hottest band.

I got to watch the concert from the stage -- about 10 feet away from Page. Oddly enough, although there was a Seattle gig on this tour, about 2,000 Zepheads drove up for the show, only to find there were no tickets available. I remember them leaning on the glass outside the Pacific Coliseum until showtime, when the promoters decided it was safer to let them in rather than risking them crashing through the glass... so the Coliseum swelled to about 18,000 fans. Twice during the show they had to stop the concert and move the equipment back, because the crush of fans at the front was so thick they started to rip the stage apart. Zany.

It was one helluva show, culminating in Dazed & Confused, which was their big final encore number (this was prior to Stairway To Heaven). For me, the biggest interview of my Straight career! Here's the story, complete with my published introduction...

After Led Zeppelin's tumultuous second encore I waited for the crowds to disperse and then slipped backstage: lots of cops, a few groupies (these surprisingly more sophisticated than the usual fare) and the now-familiar faces that appear backstage after every concert.

I had previously made arrangements with Led Zeppelin's manager, Peter Grant, to get in and see the group after their show. For some reason The Straight was the only Vancouver media to obtain an interview. After waiting a half hour or so, the door opened, Peter looked out and me motioned me inside the dressing room.

They looked like they were having fun, as well they might. Vancouver was the first date of a long North American tour, and spirits are helped considerably if the first night is a winner. I guess they figure 18,000 people can't be wrong.

Once inside the dressing room, Peter motioned me over to Page and Plant who were sitting off in a corner discussing, I thought, either a new song or part of an old one. Page was playing and singing and Plant was listening intently. Jones and Bonham were in the opposite corner, flailing away on acoustic guitars and loudly singing old rock hits like Save The Last Dance For Me, The Bristol Stomp, etc., etc. They got louder, in fact, and as I started talking to Plant, Page joined them and on occasion during the interview Plant would leap to his feet and join in on some chorus.

I did come away from the experience with a few observations. Plant is extremely articulate and certainly is his own man. He has definite ideas about his work, his public and his critics, and at 23 (his birthday arrived during the interview) he is a seasoned performer who is trapped somewhat by the wishes of his audience and the limitations of his own creativity. If pressed, he is defensive about Led Zeppelin, but that I find understandable. It is, after all, the ultimate male fantasy....

I have a lot of respect for Rick and I'm not doubting that he was at the show. I just disagree with some of his assesment of the evening itself. For example, Dazed And Confused was not the last number. He does have an excellent site and I would highly recommend a visit to it. Upon futher reflect, his statement about the stage act being different may have been a reference to they're appearence, Page and Jones with facial hair and Page no longer with frilly shirts and purple patent leather boots. Denim and sneakers were the garb of choice.

I have a lot of respect for Rick and I'm not doubting that he was at the show. I just disagree with some of his assesment of the evening itself. For example, Dazed And Confused was not the last number. He does have an excellent site and I would highly recommend a visit to it. Upon futher reflect, his statement about the stage act being different may have been a reference to they're appearence, Page and Jones with facial hair and Page no longer with frilly shirts and purple patent leather boots. Denim and sneakers were the garb of choice.

at least he hasn't turned it into a book "led zeppelin-the middle years" based on one show and interview...

at least he hasn't turned it into a book "led zeppelin-the middle years" based on one show and interview...

:D No he hasn't but with that interview, there were a series of pictures taken. Some of them appear on his site but those were the ones that were part of the Georgia Straight Newspaper which contained the interview. What I would like to find out is, are there others that didn't make the artical. Rick does not seem to remember how many shots of the band were actually taken. The photographer was an independant

As for Rick writing a book, he has a wealth of interviews with many artists. Check his site out. He has an incredible archive of the Vancouver music scene from the era.

It interesting to read Rick's comments regards Led Zep III, where has says there was a lot of led zep mania, then a successful tour, then Led Zep III was released to nothing...

I mean the Album was Number 1 for a few weeks in America, so it obvioulsy did some business

It interesting to read Rick's comments regards Led Zep III, where has says there was a lot of led zep mania, then a successful tour, then Led Zep III was released to nothing...

I mean the Album was Number 1 for a few weeks in America, so it obvioulsy did some business

It did do buisness here too but was slow to catch on. You must remember, that the Summer 70 tour did not stop in Vancouver and I think , at least here, that had a lot to do with our less than stellar response to it. Hearing the songs live IMHO would have changed many a mind as was the case in 71 when we were treated to a good portion of the 4th album

As for Rick writing a book, he has a wealth of interviews with many artists. Check his site out. He has an incredible archive of the Vancouver music scene from the era.

done. good call! i would read a book by him...

sorry not that I am question Ally's recollections here as I firmly believe him on the setlist, But does your dad remember "Friends" and "Gallows Pole" being played, maybe if a second person recalls it more people might be willing to believe it.

"Friends" was definitely played. That's the main thing he remembers about the show. "Gallows Pole" probably was, too, but his memory isn't so good these days. I remember when I was younger, hanging on his every word about the 2 shows he had been to (this and Madison Square Garden, April 29, 1973). Zepp was my favourite band but I had never been to a show until the O2.

"Friends" was definitely played. That's the main thing he remembers about the show. "Gallows Pole" probably was, too, but his memory isn't so good these days. I remember when I was younger, hanging on his every word about the 2 shows he had been to (this and Madison Square Garden, April 29, 1973). Zepp was my favourite band but I had never been to a show until the O2.

Well as much as I'd like to say that it's nice to see someone confirm Friends having been played in Vancouver, the date you give for the MSG show in 73, leaves a little to be desired. Have we got dates mixed up. I'm not trying to be confrontational but real confirmation is essential :)

Well as much as I'd like to say that it's nice to see someone confirm Friends having been played in Vancouver, the date you give for the MSG show in 73, leaves a little to be desired. Have we got dates mixed up. I'm not trying to be confrontational but real confirmation is essential :)

Sorry. Got the date wrong July 29, 1973. Little memory failure on my part. I got this date confused with the date of a bootleg I have from '77. Don't know what made me get in that little mix-up. Anyway, hope this hasn't diminshed my credibility with anyone, I know Friends was played. My Dad woudn't lie about something that small and insignificant.

Sorry. Got the date wrong July 29, 1973. Little memory failure on my part. I got this date confused with the date of a bootleg I have from '77. Don't know what made me get in that little mix-up. Anyway, hope this hasn't diminshed my credibility with anyone, I know Friends was played. My Dad woudn't lie about something that small and insignificant.

Not at all and Thank You for helping to confirm that Friends was indeed played that evening. If you don't mind , does your father have any other memory's of the show ? Any and all info would be welcome. It was such a great concert

I could ask, but it might be a while before you get an answer; he doesn't exactly live close to me, he's about 2 and 1/2 hours away.

If and when there's time, it would be appreciated. I have no vested interest other than proving my wife wrong about my memory :D Thanks

I've long thought that Vancouver 70 was filmed due to the fact that all photos of Robert are of him holding 2 mics. The assumption being that 1 mic for the house and 1 for the video feed.

However,I do realize that this show was recorded for FM so 1 microphone could have been for that feed.

Just a theory.....But interesting to imagine and great to see,of course.

I've long thought that Vancouver 70 was filmed due to the fact that all photos of Robert are of him holding 2 mics. The assumption being that 1 mic for the house and 1 for the video feed.

However,I do realize that this show was recorded for FM so 1 microphone could have been for that feed.

Just a theory.....But interesting to imagine and great to see,of course.

It certainly would be !!!

Archived