Folk and Folk-Rock Music

I've never heard of Kaleidoscope, but the guitar player from that band, David Lindley, will be playing with Hot Tuna when I see them in August. Not sure if he plays solo, has a band, or if he will just be joining Jorma and Jack. The setlists they usually do are very flexible for guest musicians to join in.

I first heard of Kaleidoscope because of David Lindley (who I first heard of through Jackson Browne) but have yet to pick up any of their records. As far as I know Lindley plays solo these days (that's not to say he won't be jamming with Hot Tuna either).

http://www.davidlindley.com

Wow, look at all the different instruments this guy plays! Some look homemade, even. I wonder if I bring my washtub bass, would he invite me up for a duet? I've been working on my scratchboard and cowbell. He kinda reminds me of the Wizard of Oz, in the first picture. I'm psyched!!!

Wow, look at all the different instruments this guy plays! Some look homemade, even. I wonder if I bring my washtub bass, would he invite me up for a duet? I've been working on my scratchboard and cowbell. He kinda reminds me of the Wizard of Oz, in the first picture. I'm psyched!!!

"Mr. Dave" and/or "The King of Polyester" (as he's affectionately known) is one of the most talented mult-instrumentalists out there. You're in for a real treat. I first got introduced to his solo work via this very excellent album, one of my all time faves:

41P9BCYEX7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I was just wondering if there are there any other folk music fans out there. I am from West Virginia so folk music is everywhere. I play the electric guitar mainly, but I also picked up the acoustic guitar, banjo, harmonica, and mandolin. When im not playing rock in a band, I play gigs doin solo folk rock stuff because there are so many places to get on a stage and play folk music here in the Appalachain Mountians. Robert Plant said "We are trying to communicate a fulfilled ideal...I am a reflection of what I sing. Sometimes I have to get serious because the things I've been through are serious...The way I see it, rock n' roll is folk music." Zep songs like The Battle of Evermore are cool because they are pretty much folk rock, but they are being played but the greatest "hard rock" band of all time.

About Folk... I like Bob Dylan, but im don't very much, althoug I would like to know more, to play more that anything.

Just want to add a few words relating to Led Zeppelin's roots in folk music. They picked up a song from Joan Baez on their first album (BIGLY - the song was written by Anne Breddon though, as they found out later), they loved Joni Mitchell, and obviously really dug Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, - but the real folk roots of Zeppelin were in British folk. Robert especially has often mentioned the Incredible String Band, but for Jimmy Page, Bert Jansch, Davy Graham, Anne Briggs came even earlier, and were a lasting influence on his playing - even the electric in a way. The mid-60's folk scene in Britain was incredibly fertile. B)

would leadbelly count as folk?

Most definitely but like Swede points out he's also referred to as a blues (or in this case a country blues) artist.

This special aired on PBS years ago and is well worth seeking out:

171589.jpg

Vision Shared - A Tribute To Woody Guthrie And Leadbelly DVD

61KVFp7d7bL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Vision Shared - A Tribute To Woody Guthrie And Leadbelly Soundtrack

• 1 year later...
Funny you should mention them. I downloaded an album some two months ago and they back the guy (his name is Curt Newbury.) and it's a awesome acid folk rock album.

You can read about it here.

I can understand if you don't download, but I highly recommend the album. The guy talks about where you can order the music.

is Faintly Blowing their only album? i have only this one, and it left no big impression on me

but Comus, The Incredible String Band and Forest (!)

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I spent an hour watching videos by The Byrds on youtube. Surprisingly and IMHO the bands stage presence was lacking. More than one of them enjoy making goofy (smug??) faces at the camera. I love that Rickenbacker guitar sound and McGuinns voice, but McGuinn in particular is just disturbing to watch.

I've always enjoyed British folk music. It's different than American folk. Some favorites over the years would be: Nick Drake, Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention, Richard/Linda Thompson, John Martyn.......people like that.

Regards;

I've always enjoyed British folk music. It's different than American folk. Some favorites over the years would be: Nick Drake, Sandy Denny, Fairport Convention, Richard/Linda Thompson, John Martyn.......people like that.

Regards;

:thumbsup:

Me too!!! Great to see a Nick Drake fan around here. Richard Thompson is one of my all time favorites. Love him solo as well as with Linda or Fairport.

OMG, watching more videos by The Byrds. All the drumming is played faster on the live songs from 69/70ish. Everybody in the band starts playing faster and it's one big mess. No wonder McGuinn turned to some religious cult for a number of years. I suspect he was confused as to why fans were screaming their heads off over crappy music. Please somebody else watch a few Byrds video and tell me I'm crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alasdair Roberts

http://www.myspace.com/alasdairrobertsofficial

Allmusic review of "Farewell Sorrow"

From the mid-'90s into the 2000s, the world of indie pop obsessed over the '60s pop production and arrangements pioneered by the Beach Boys and the Beatles, and for a decade it seemed that the culture at large was revisiting the '60s and '70s without much in the way of innovative updates. One can only assume that part of the reason for lack of noticeable advances is that 30 years isn't really enough time to have elapsed for these themes to be revisited from a truly different angle, which is what made Alasdair Roberts' take on indie pop so striking. Farewell Sorrow, Roberts' second solo departure from his band Appendix Out (which this album features members of), highlights his admiration of traditional Scottish folk music along with his involvement in the realm of indie pop, which served to transcend the '60s revival trend by pointing out the relevance and influence of traditional melodies within the annals of modern pop music. He's tracing the same steps that brought Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span into the history books as the innovators of the folk-rock movement of the late '60s, but instead Roberts is integrating those rich elements into the sparse world of indie pop subtly, instead of creating a wild juxtaposition of folk and rock in the way the aforementioned groups chose to do. Immediately, Farewell Sorrow shows its accessibility, its eccentricity, and its innovation with the title track, but it is on track two with Roberts' invitation to "Bring me the fine ale, the cider, and the wine/Link arms and join our lusty chorus!" that seals the necessity for undivided attention throughout the conclusion of the album. Farewell Sorrow is built on the art of restraint and elastic delicacy provided by Roberts' band to bring together the traditional institution of melody and the advance into unmarked territory, and they are wonderfully successful at transforming that steady artistic bridge into a refreshing package.

by Gregory McIntosh

For all the years Ive been a Zeppelin fan Ive finally have gotten into Fairport Convention. Ive been listening to "Liege & Lief" & "Unhalfbricking" nonstop. Great stuff.

Love Nick Drake. Always have "Pink Moon" with me when I travel & "Blue" by Joni Mitchell. I dont if it really counts as "folk rock" but Neil Young's "After The Goldrush" is just a gorgeous album. My favorite of his solo work.

For all the years Ive been a Zeppelin fan Ive finally have gotten into Fairport Convention. Ive been listening to "Liege & Lief" & "Unhalfbricking" nonstop. Great stuff.

Love Nick Drake. Always have "Pink Moon" with me when I travel & "Blue" by Joni Mitchell. I dont if it really counts as "folk rock" but Neil Young's "After The Goldrush" is just a gorgeous album. My favorite of his solo work.

Fairport is one of my favorites. I also LOVE Pentangle.

Funny thing with discovering Nick Drake - I owe the Volkswagon commercial for that! Then his music was in the movie Serendipity. Joni - well, there's nothing I don't like by her :D

• 11 months later...

Archived