Robert Plant - Pre-Zep History

Ok..this is from the Wolverhampton Express and Star-4th July 1968..it might help with the spelling.

listen011.jpg

Further substantiation of the correct spelling, which Robert himself spelled out during an interview at the Molson Amphitheatre on July 4, 1998. Interestingly enough, it does not

contain an apostrophe after Obs evident in at least one concert ad published shortly

after this time (ad reproduced within the Zeppelin Mysteries thread).

Newbie on here so apologies for any toe treading.The teacher training College is definitely the Gorway Road Walsall one..John's uncle ran the Three Men in A Boat in the '60s ..it was one the best pub venues in the Black Country..it no longer exists.

Bloxwich born and bred so I can remember the days of Robert,Noddy Holder and Rob Halford all knocking around the same housing estate.

...tks...Your knowledge is very valuable and very fascinating....looking forward to more findings, (especially rare pic's, or more stories that you find). Thank you, very interesting thread

You might like this one...from the Wolverhampton Express and Star 18th October 1966.

listen004.jpg

This is the one gig I would have liked to have been at..I saw The Beatles ,Hendrix etc but this is one I missed out on.

The 'Nbetweens later became Slade and I spoke to their drummer Don Powell about the gig a few weeks ago..his main memory was of Cream being out of their heads..in the "dressing room"Clapton stood staring at a wall and Ginger Baker was jumping up and down on his drum kit..this was unimaginable to the other bands who had hire purchase payments to make.

It would be nice to imagine a jam session..2 of the Black Country's finest front men Holder and Plant..2 fine drummers Baker and Powell..Jim Lea and Jack Bruce on bass and Mr Clapton doing his stuff.

The 'Nbetweens /Listen connection is well known and I have a couple of articles from 1966 which cover both bands.

Just a quick explanation as to why I have this stuff..I'm researching the early live career of Slade from 1962 -1970 and I've been wading through my local newspaper archives for a few years now.

In the course of my search I've picked up a few pieces about Mr Plant..I'll put what I have on here and I'll look out for more.

Edited by Blocoboy

You might like this one...from the Wolverhampton Express and Star 18th October 1966.

listen004.jpg

This is the one gig I would have liked to have been at..I saw The Beatles ,Hendrix etc but this is one I missed out on.

The 'Nbetweens later became Slade and I spoke to their drummer Don Powell about the gig a few weeks ago..his main memory was of Cream being out of their heads..in the "dressing room"Clapton stood staring at a wall and Ginger Baker was jumping up and down on his drum kit..this was unimaginable to the other bands who had hire purchase payments to make.

It would be nice to imagine a jam session..2 of the Black Country's finest front men Holder and Plant..2 fine drummers Baker and Powell..Jim Lea and Jack Bruce on bass and Mr Clapton doing his stuff.

Just a quick explanation as to why I have this stuff..I'm researching the early live career of Slade from 1962 -1970 and I've been wading through my local newspaper archives for a few years now.

In the course of my search I've picked up a few pieces about Mr Plant..I'll put what I have on here and I'll look out for more.

Phenomenal! It's taken over 40 years to document Jimmy's pre-Zeppelin performances,

(there are still a few unconfirmed details) while confirmation of Robert's pre-Zeppelin performances has proven nearly impossible given he was not nearly as high profile as The Yardbirds and it seems most of his gigs were within the midlands. Your findings

are most appreciated.

I am aware of an "Autumn '66" gig at the Wolverhampton Civic Hall with Listen billed below Cream and Slade, but I do not have the actual date confirmed.

Another Slade connection:

In May 1973 Led Zeppelin attended a Slade concert in Texas and pelted them with

vegetables. Day, city and venue unconfirmed, but this is where Zeppelin played:

5/16/73 - Houston Sam Houston Arena

5/18/83 - Dallas Memorial Auditorium

5/19/73 - Ft. Worth Tarrant County Convention Center Arena

5/22/73 - San Antonio Hemisphere Arena

I've heard it may have been in Dallas or Ft. Worth on 5/20 or 5/21 but that is speculation. Do you know for certain?

Edited by SteveAJones

I am aware of an "Autumn '66" gig at the Wolverhampton Civic Hall with Listen billed below Cream and Slade, but I do not have the actual date confirmed.

Another Slade connection:

In May 1973 Led Zeppelin attended a Slade concert in Texas and pelted them with

vegetables. Day, city and venue unconfirmed, but this is where Zeppelin played:

5/16/73 - Houston Sam Houston Arena

5/18/83 - Dallas Memorial Auditorium

5/19/73 - Ft. Worth Tarrant County Convention Center Arena

5/22/73 - San Antonio Hemisphere Arena

I've heard it may have been in Dallas or Ft. Worth on 5/20 or 5/21 but that is speculation. Do you know for certain?

I'll do some checking on the 1973 date.

Cream played Wolverhampton Civic Hall the 9th June 1967 with The 'Nbetweens and several other groups on the bill but no mention of Listen.

Listen played all around the Walsall /Wolverhampton/Bloxwich area..their was a very good group scene going on and money could be made.

The Willenhall Baths gig is probably the "Autumn 66 " reference..a lot of these things get lost in translation and the mists of time..Willenhall is technically a part of Wolverhampton.

It might be useful to do a very quick geography/history lesson to explain the Zeppelin /Slade connection.

Noddy Holder parents lived on the Beechdale estate in Bloxwich in Gurney Road..their house was approx 200 yards away from "The Three Men in A Boat" where Robert Plant was lodging with the Bonham family..in 1965 Holder was in a group called Steve Brett and The Mavericks who were quite big locally..they released 3 45s and had done the traditional gigging in Germany thing..at the end of '65 Holder left the group and returned home with the idea of forming a group..Bill Bonham remembers jamming with Holder..Holder joined the 'Nbetweens in March 1966

It was about this time that Listen were formed..Plant and Holder got to know each other..this has led to the stories of Holder "roadieing" for Listen..I think the best explanation for that is that Holder had access o his Dad's window cleaning van and when he was at a loose end he helped Listen out..it's also worth remembering that Plant was supposed to have joined The 'Nbetweens as well as Holder but was regarded as not suitable.

Obviously their paths would continue to pass..I'll deal with the great "You Better Run" saga over the next few days.

Meanwhile..from the Wolverhampton Express and Star 3rd Mach 1966

listen002.jpg

This only part of the article..I wasn't looking for Listen stuff at the time. when I go to Wolverhampton archives again I'll get the complete article but it gives a flavour of the group.

Sorry if I'm rabbiting on a bit.

Cream played Wolverhampton Civic Hall the 9th June 1967 with The 'Nbetweens and several other groups on the bill but no mention of Listen.

Listen played all around the Walsall /Wolverhampton/Bloxwich area..their was a very good group scene going on and money could be made.

The Willenhall Baths gig is probably the "Autumn 66 " reference..a lot of these things get lost in translation and the mists of time..Willenhall is technically a part of Wolverhampton.

It might be useful to do a very quick geography/history lesson to explain the Zeppelin /Slade connection.

Noddy Holder parents lived on the Beechdale estate in Bloxwich in Gurney Road..their house was approx 200 yards away from "The Three Men in A Boat" where Robert Plant was lodging with the Bonham family..in 1965 Holder was in a group called Steve Brett and The Mavericks who were quite big locally..they released 3 45s and had done the traditional gigging in Germany thing..at the end of '65 Holder left the group and returned home with the idea of forming a group..Bill Bonham remembers jamming with Holder..Holder joined the 'Nbetweens in March 1966

It was about this time that Listen were formed..Plant and Holder got to know each other..this has led to the stories of Holder "roadieing" for Listen..I think the best explanation for that is that Holder had access o his Dad's window cleaning van and when he was at a loose end he helped Listen out..it's also worth remembering that Plant was supposed to have joined The 'Nbetweens as well as Holder but was regarded as not suitable.

Obviously their paths would continue to pass..I'll deal with the great "You Better Run" saga over the next few days.

listen002.jpg

This only part of the article..I wasn't looking for Listen stuff at the time. when I go to Wolverhampton archives again I'll get the complete article but it gives a flavour of the group.

"Robert Plonk!?" :lol: does that mean something in British terms?

I think the focus of the thread must have changed a while back--

in any case, this is turning into a treasure trove. I had no idea that Listen had supported Cream, or turned down a chance to be on Ready Steady Go (or that RSG wasn't shown in the Midlands--that's the really amazing bit of information!! :D). Or, indeed, that Robert's friends called him Plonk. Even Percy's an improvement on that. Guess he must have sold the name to Ronnie Lane!

Kepp rabbiting, Blocoboy, this is great. :)

Awesome! I sent to you via PM a link of about 20 or so confirmed Plant pre-Zeppelin

performances. At the linked site I included Robert's comments about touring in the window cleaning van.

Jimmy (with The Yardbirds) was allegedly supposed to perform in Wolverhampton on

3/30/68 but it was apparently cancelled, as they were touring the USA at the time.

I've never seen confirmation of that, but it has been confirmed they did play other

dates in England earlier in the month. Just thought I'd mention it in the event you

have access to local papers from March '68, as perhaps an ad and/or cancellation notice was published.

Edited by SteveAJones

I think the focus of the thread must have changed a while back--

in any case, this is turning into a treasure trove. I had no idea that Listen had supported Cream, or turned down a chance to be on Ready Steady Go (or that RSG wasn't shown in the Midlands--that's the really amazing bit of information!!

Bless Jimmy, but I've been saying for decades Robert Plant was not that obscure on the

Ma Reagan circuit, and I'm convinced Robert would have found fame with or without Led Zeppelin.

It could be a form of 'Plonker' which is an 'endearing' term for someone who's a bit on the slow side. It's also used as slang for a penis - me thinks this is where Robert comes in.

I think the first really became popularized with Only Fools and Horses, which was well after this--your second suggestion seems more likely! :D

It could be a form of 'Plonker' which is an 'endearing' term for someone who's a bit on the slow side. It's also used as slang for a penis - me thinks this is where Robert comes in.

:lol: Haha I don't know why but for some reason that crossed my mind but I didn't want to say anything, I'm not too up on British slang.

This is what I found on Wikipedia:

Plonker is a slang term of British or Australian origin whose meaning has evolved over time. Partridge in the third edition of his A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English in 1949 recorded the term as "low" slang for penis, "since ca. 1917". The term remains in recent use with that meaning.

By 1966, the term had also acquired the meaning of a man who let his girlfriend sleep with his male friends,[1] and in the 1980s had a new meaning of a stupid or inept person. This meaning gained very wide circulation through its frequent use in Only Fools and Horses, and has entered common usage.[2]

In Australia the term plonker can also be used to describe a person who rides a Ducati motorcycle with panniers.[citation needed]

In the UK, Plonker is also used as an affectionate term for someone involved in flower arranging.[3]

Eh, couldn't it simply be "Plonk"(not "Plonker")? I think it means a cheap wine of inferior quiality?

:unsure: Or it's just me being a naive non native speaker?

It could be Plonk, but in the context that it's referring to wine, I've never known it be used as a term towards someone. It's likely Plonk derived from Plonker. It makes more sense, but, of course, Plonk could've been used as an inside joke, or something.

This is what I found on Wikipedia:

Plonker is a slang term of British or Australian origin whose meaning has evolved over time. Partridge in the third edition of his A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English in 1949 recorded the term as "low" slang for penis, "since ca. 1917". The term remains in recent use with that meaning.

By 1966, the term had also acquired the meaning of a man who let his girlfriend sleep with his male friends,[1] and in the 1980s had a new meaning of a stupid or inept person. This meaning gained very wide circulation through its frequent use in Only Fools and Horses, and has entered common usage.[2]

In Australia the term plonker can also be used to describe a person who rides a Ducati motorcycle with panniers.[citation needed]

In the UK, Plonker is also used as an affectionate term for someone involved in flower arranging.[3]

:unsure: So he really was leader of those Midlands Flower People . . . :huh:

(Wiki claims this is a term used by the Women's Institute. First I've heard of it, but then I'm not a member of the W.I. :D )

Anyway, any more info on Listen, and that scene in general, would be greatly appreciated, Blocoboy. :)

Edited by Aquamarine

It could be Plonk, but in the context that it's referring to wine, I've never known it be used as a term towards someone. It's likely Plonk derived from Plonker. It makes more sense, but, of course, Plonk could've been used as an inside joke, or something.

I goggled the word "Plont" - my curiosity - here's what I found on Urbon Dictionary:

1. PLONT is an acronym for Persons of Little Or No Taste. It may be used to describe a person or a situation. It refers to people who may enjoy bad movies, crappy food or the occasional wrestling match. Plonts may think they have genuine taste while POTs (Persons Of Taste) know far better.

2. To upload data from your personal computer to a server.

3. Person of little or no taste. In particular, someone who knowingly likes low-brow, idiotic forms of entertainment (e.g., B-movies with gratuitous nudity).

Maybe it was an inside joke!