Causes for Dissatisfaction With The New Board

MS1

The only negative thing I have to say about this new message board is that I am not happy with the lack of smiley options.

I miss the 'hippie' smiley from the old message board. :(

The only negative thing I have to say about this new message board is that I am not happy with the lack of smiley options.

I miss the 'hippie' smiley from the old message board. :(

click "show all" at the top of the smilie window and you

will find your hippy friend.. and many other smilies too. B)

:hippy:

Ok, thank you Joel and Hermit! Shit man, I feel dumb now! Easy fix. I didn't realize there was a 'Show All'. I was just clicking 'Next' and 'Previous'. :hippy:

Here are a few stats I compiled about the composition of Ramble On. I did it in the intent of looking for patterns of threads/posts/posters and activity of all the above in order to make some sense of whether we should get a "games" sub-forum.

I really think we shold get a "games" sub-forum. I think it would be a nice way to keep the games out of people's way--espeically the people who are quite irritated by them and call them spam.

I do not think we should do away with them, but I think they should be seperate.

Here are my statistical findings:

On the first page alone, there are 9 threads where you post a one or two word phrase that is “game-like” out of 30 total threads. (I’m not saying that every thread that’s not a game thread is quality..)

In Ramble on, there are 20 game threads out of a total of 88 threads.

Out of a total of 3,852 total posts in Ramble On, there are 2174 posts in these threads. That composes over 56% of Ramble On!

These threads are created by 13 different people, one person has created 4 of the most spam-like, and there are a few others that have created more than one. To top it off, many of the game thread creators are in the top 30 posters, especially the games with the most replies. But—some of these people who have created these threads I don’t know because they only post in these kinds of threads, or the mass majority of their posts are in game threads.

I just see a pattern here…

1. Song Name Game—21 pages and 1542 replies, AND there are like three active threads in this forum already that play this exact game.

2. Word association-- :rolleyes: just :rolleyes:

3. Let’s play Atlas!—a total of 7 pages and 540 replies :huh:

4. The person above you thread—3 pages, 247 replies

5. What r listenin 2—2 pages, 164 replies

6. What are you wearing?—3 pages, 287 replies

7. What are you washing in the laundry?—4 pages, 544 replies (and has actual discussions going)

8. Beautiful Men—4 pages, 75 replies (created discussion)

9. Corrupt-A-Wish Game—2 pages, 35 replies

10. The Hair Thread: Talk about your hair—3 pages, 51 replies

11. Guess the Movie Quote Thread—2 pages, 20 replies

12. Food: talk about food—5 pages, 86 replies

Page

13. Post a Random Picture Thread—2 pages, 36 replies

14. A-Z movies—1 page, 6 replies

15. Beautiful Women Thread—4 pages, 67 replies

16. Random Lyric Thread—2 pages, 21 replies (one of the better games, IMO)

17. What colour is your toothbrush?—2 pages, 21 replies

18. The Shout Out thread-1 page, 0 replies

19. The Add A Verse or Original Lyric Thread—1, 0 replies (this one requires imagination—no wonder why there’s not replies…:sarcasm: )

20. Beautiful Women—1 page, 1 reply

This is very good information Manders, thank you. And I believe it underscores the heart of the problem here in Ramble on. The fact that especially one particular person (some have called this person a "post whore") is not only behind a great deal of the spam topics, but also the most frequent spammer.

I would however like to correct you on one little point. (wink-wink) And that is that the "What are you washing in the laundry thread" is not really a game thread. I know some people actually thought that it was, or that I was being serious. However to many here who are already accustomed to my sardonic wit, they immediatly recognized that thread as being a slap in the face to our own little community of Vapidettes (those spamming post whores lacking of all wit, imagination and flavor). Although I guess for me it could be a spam thread because I had already created anther thread titled, "Your post count is starting to worry me" which was actually more direct about the subject... I thought. But apperantly not for all.

Btw, your 'teacher like research style' really gets me hot. :D

Game / Spam Threads areas are the "Trailer Parks" of the Forum .. :D:D

And all societies have Trailer Parks, even though not all societies have Beach Front Property. or even Ivory Towers... :oB)

Well, ok then we need a trailer park.

And I agree that a "games/trailer park forum" would keep the mindless twits where they belong.

:o

:bagoverhead:

4,000 !! 4,000 !!!!

You were still a noob at that !! Wimpy numbers man....

And look now...member no. 2,206. Where've you been 'late for lunch' ?

My real computer was out for like 4 or 5 weeks and I've had to use my laptop since.

And my laptop is a piece of crap, and whenever I came here or even to just led-zeppelin.com's homepage, it was the original thing. Made me think I was banned or something.

Eventually, I found my way over to Ev and Obssessed own fansite which then led me here

And my numbers were fine :rolleyes: I was only there for a year and a half anyways :lol:

My real computer was out for like 4 or 5 weeks and I've had to use my laptop since.

And my laptop is a piece of crap, and whenever I came here or even to just led-zeppelin.com's homepage, it was the original thing. Made me think I was banned or something.

Eventually, I found my way over to Ev and Obssessed own fansite which then led me here

And my numbers were fine :rolleyes: I was only there for a year and a half anyways :lol:

It's about time Brother...Good to see you...

This is very good information Manders, thank you. And I believe it underscores the heart of the problem here in Ramble on. The fact that especially one particular person (some have called this person a "post whore") is not only behind a great deal of the spam topics, but also the most frequent spammer.

I would however like to correct you on one little point. (wink-wink) And that is that the "What are you washing in the laundry thread" is not really a game thread. I know some people actually thought that it was, or that I was being serious. However to many here who are already accustomed to my sardonic wit, they immediatly recognized that thread as being a slap in the face to our own little community of Vapidettes (those spamming post whores lacking of all wit, imagination and flavor). Although I guess for me it could be a spam thread because I had already created anther thread titled, "Your post count is starting to worry me" which was actually more direct about the subject... I thought. But apperantly not for all.

Btw, your 'teacher like research style' really gets me hot. :D

Sorry, Del. I can't make it to Tahoe until after finals week.

:hysterical:

I agree, totally, more than 100% !!!

i have to chime in on this one, huge demonstrative files drag the board down and the bandwidth and in the long run costs everyone right on down the line. additionally i think the pics page sizes should be limited....i mean come on, post a link for christs sake :)

rolls>>>> :wacko:

Overall I like the new board. I have one huge gripe though, and it's been mentioned here before. The "Show New Replies to Your Posts" function. That thing was my lifeline. Not having it really bums me out.

Please Sam, bring back the "Show New Replies to your Posts" function. Pretty please!!

I'm totally in agreement here.I don't like the fact that I completely lose my momentum,for lack of a better term,when I'm not on,even for a short time.It's like reading a book without being able to save your place.

i have to chime in on this one, huge demonstrative files drag the board down and the bandwidth and in the long run costs everyone right on down the line. additionally i think the pics page sizes should be limited....i mean come on, post a link for christs sake :)

rolls>>>> :wacko:

I'd still rather see a photo posted than have to follow a link. Too large of photos are downsized automatically on this new board, so I'm guessing bandwith is lessened ? Or is this 'downsizing' only on my computer ?

Obviously I'm for the postings....I started a photo thread !!!! :lol:

Okay, I've figured out the smiley thing, there are just enough to make me happy. Still don't like the limit within posts though, and here's something else I miss: Being able to read the previous page worth of posts as I'm typing a new post. Helps me keep track of the conversation.

Okay, I've figured out the smiley thing, there are just enough to make me happy. Still don't like the limit within posts though, and here's something else I miss: Being able to read the previous page worth of posts as I'm typing a new post. Helps me keep track of the conversation.

Same here.

Don't agree with the earlier point about having links instead of photos though--surely that's the whole point of them being photo threads, they're right there for you look at without fooling around with links?

Same here.

Don't agree with the earlier point about having links instead of photos though--surely that's the whole point of them being photo threads, they're right there for you look at without fooling around with links?

I agree!

I'd still rather see a photo posted than have to follow a link. Too large of photos are downsized automatically on this new board, so I'm guessing bandwith is lessened ? Or is this 'downsizing' only on my computer ?

Obviously I'm for the postings....I started a photo thread !!!! :lol:

Well,

Like you for example. You reduced your sig and it looks great. I guess I have just had a rough day. The downsizing works on mine too. I am sure everyone will do a fine job and I am happy to be here with everyone. I will just add a 512 card. Speed her up a bit :blink:

Rolls>>> :wacko:

Well,

Like you for example. You reduced your sig and it looks great. I guess I have just had a rough day. The downsizing works on mine too. I am sure everyone will do a fine job and I am happy to be here with everyone. I will just add a 512 card. Speed her up a bit :blink:

Rolls>>> :wacko:

Funny...but coincidentally, I just added 512 megs of memory to my desktop !! Tripled my 256mb's. My computer is nearly 5 years old.

I AM glad as hell for the auto-downsizing though. I couldn't stand those photos that required a 25 inch screen to view..... <_<

THE ROVER !!!!!!!

Hi Sam:

I notice that a couple of threads are gone. The one about Battle of Evermore (people were discussing who would sing it) and the thread I started called ON THE RADIO...

I don't believe I wrote anything disrespectful in the thread, ON THE RADIO. I relayed info about a Canadian station that was playing Zep tunes. Yes..they play other music and if this is why the thread was deleted than so be it...I respect your decision...

Juliet

Archived