Help with Led Zeppelin Trivia!

Gainsbarre

They both adored John Lennon?

According to Peter-R Koenig

http://user.cyberlink.ch/~koenig/bowie.htm

Alistair Crowley

David and Jimmy cooperated (played?) on I Pity The Fool.

David received the guitar riff (from Jimmy) for The Supermen from The Man Who Sold The World 1970.

One of Bowie's best albums, I always imagined Robert singing Black Country Rock.

For all the musicians here ...

What time signature is "The Ocean" in (main riff)?

The most convenient way to write the main riff of The Ocean in notation form would be to write one bar of 8/8, followed by one bar of 7/8, or you could write it as one bar of 12/8 followed by one bar of 3/8

Or alternatively you could write one bar of 6/4 followed by one bar of 3/8

The most convenient way to write the main riff of The Ocean in notation form would be to write one bar of 8/8, followed by one bar of 7/8, or you could write it as one bar of 12/8 followed by one bar of 3/8

Or alternatively you could write one bar of 6/4 followed by one bar of 3/8

I think 8/8 then 7/8 is how it's usually written. That's what it is in my Zeppelin sheet book, anyway.

For all the musicians here ...

What time signature is "The Ocean" in (main riff)?

As a keyboardist you know every bar of music has four beats, if you subtract a beat you have 3/4, if you add a beat, 5/4. This is the way to 'feel' it. Adding a measure of 3/4 or 5/4 to a measure of 4/4, known as common time, will create odd time wherein you can play in any mathematical time signature imaginable: 7/8, 9/4, 17/8, 77/16, etc. It's not as complicated as it sounds, the trick is remembering/knowing where one is. Example: 4 measures of 7 equals 28, a number divisible by 4 (as does 7 measures of 4), then BANG, everybody's back on one.

The Ocean's main riff is in 7/8. During the vocals it shifts to 4/4 (technically 4/8 but anything in 4 is considered common time) then back to 7/8 when the riff comes around again. The guitar solo continues in 7/8. After the last verse in 4/4 the rideout section changes to 12/4 while Plant's singing the 'doo-whops.'

If you clap your hands through the 4/4 and 12/4 parts the beat falls each time your palms touch (the downbeat). During the the 7/8 part the beat will alternate between your palms touching (the downbeat) and your hands being apart (the upbeat). It's hip stuff, you never hear the Stones play anything in odd time.

The Ocean's main riff is in 7/8. During the vocals it shifts to 4/4 (technically 4/8 but anything in 4 is considered common time) then back to 7/8 when the riff comes around again. The guitar solo continues in 7/8. After the last verse in 4/4 the rideout section changes to 12/4 while Plant's singing the 'doo-whops.'

If you clap your hands through the 4/4 and 12/4 parts the beat falls each time your palms touch (the downbeat). During the the 7/8 part the beat will alternate between your palms touching (the downbeat) and your hands being apart (the upbeat). It's hip stuff, you never hear the Stones play anything in odd time.

I disagree with that...

First of all the main riff can't be in just 7/8, it has to be in 8/8 followed by a bar of 7/8...

And while Plant is singing the doo-wops, it's not 12/4, it's 12/8... 12/4 would be the same as 4/4 except for the fact you've got 12 beats to the bar instead of 4

And yeah, of course in the 7/8 bit your palms would be on the beat, then the beat would happen when you're hands are apart, but that's because you're not counting it correctly, the same thing would happen if you just counted the whole song in 4/4, it would come off the beat, so to make it all fit it has to be in 8/8 then 7/8

or like I said, 6/4 in regular time then 3/8 in eighth notes...

Welcome, 3. Although I suspect your question is facetious I would hazard a guess Communication Breakdown is the most played number by the band, from their earliest concerts until its final rendition in Mannheim 7-3-80. Dazed & Confused was dropped after Earls Court, and all the other songs they'd performed from the first record got replaced by Kashmirs, Stairways and Over The Hills . . .

Newspaper clipping from my Zep file: Led Zeppelin leads the world with 384 bootleg albums seized by the British Phongraphic Industry's anti-piracy arm. Rounding out the Top Five are The Beatles (320), Rolling Stones (317), Bob Dylan (301) and Prince (270.)

Also in my file, I opened it to find the above clipping, I discovered a forgotten autograph from Jason Bonham my guitarist collected for me on 5-24-97, obviously he'd told Jason I played drums. "Hello (Dirigible), keep it up, JB (Bonzo's rune)"

Wow, memories.

Dirigible,

No, my question was quite sincere. Of the 288 circulating recorded shows, the song Dazed and Confused was captured the most. 207 times, in fact. Communication Breakdown is a little further down the list at 101 times.

Congrats on your autograph.

Those are all good questions and I enjoyed them thoroughly. I'm new here but hopes no one minds if I submit Dirigible's Dirty Dozen.

2. At what show did they play the complete unreleased fourth album with the exception of Battle of Evermore and When the Levee Breaks? Hint: they also played Gallows Pole that night.

1971.05.03 KB Hallen @ Copenhagen, Denmark.

I didn't need the hint. The real clue was Four Sticks.

P.S. On #8, I am going to guess his symbol.

Gainsbarre, I thought your explanation was unneccessarily convoluted. Juxtapose bars 12/8 and 3/8 or 6/4 and 3/8 to get the desired effect? Think of it like 15/8? Man, that's more confusing than enlightening. Glad I already know how to play The Ocean, it would be tough sledding trying to learn it the way you suggested.

Ev, quite astute, judging from various other posts you really know your stuff. Misty Mountain Hop and Going To California were performed at the May 3, 1971 Copenhagen concert.

3hrs, 207 D&Cs, good grief. I have to remember out of the 580-odd concerts LZ played, that only 66 were performed after 1975. Every quiz question you answered was correct. If anyone's interersted all the answers to the quiz were posted yesterday in the Dirigible's Dirty Dozen thread in Led Zep Trivia.

Gainsbarre, I thought your explanation was unneccessarily convoluted. Juxtapose bars 12/8 and 3/8 or 6/4 and 3/8 to get the desired effect? Think of it like 15/8? Man, that's more confusing than enlightening. Glad I already know how to play The Ocean, it would be tough sledding trying to learn it the way you suggested.

I can't agree with that either...

In fact I find it a bit rich that you would say that, because your suggestions would be of absolutely no benefit to a musician at all...

I mean, you're suggesting to count the Ocean riff completely in 7/8, which is plain wrong, then you suggest that the Riff goes from being on the beat to off the beat...

Well, the reason it goes off the beat in your method is because you're not counting it correctly...

what was so hard about my suggestion? What's so hard about counting 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 1-2-3-4-5-6-7?? There you go, perfect timing for the Ocean riff right there...

I think it's because you don't understand the difference between the bottom signatures, for example between 4/4 and 4/8... the bottom 4 represents crotchets and the 8 represents quavers. If you listen to The Ocean, the beat that Bonzo is playing on the high-hats is composed of 8 quaver notes in the bar. That means we can musically notate the piece so that each strike of the high-hat is one beat in the bar, therefore instead of it being a slow 4/4, it's now a fast 8/8.

The reason is: counting it in a slow 4/4 will throw you out of time, because as you made the point about clapping your hands, now the beat of the song happens on the off-beat = confusing so we simplify it or make it easier by counting in quick beats of 8 instead of counting in slow beats of 4, and if we count 8 quick beats, followed by 7 quick beats, we find that we're always perfectly in time and our hand clapping is always still on the beat...

Now what's so hard or confusing about that?

I freely admit that you can notate music in any method or time signature that you choose

But to claim my method was 'unneccessarily convoluted' is a complete joke considering that a) the Led Zep sheet music for the song is written in exactly the same way that I have told you because that is the easiest way to write it and b ) your method was of no real benefit to anybody who might be trying to count the song and get their timing correct.

I think it's because you don't understand the difference between the bottom signatures.

Your hectoring posts I find abrasive and no longer bother to do anything but skim them. If it makes you feel good bellowing on the Internet "I'm right, he's wrong" I'll cheerfully turn the other cheek.

For 30 years musicians have called me a Bonham clone or Bonzo Jr. or some shit like that so it's going to take some doing to erode my confidence in my musicianship. Note that since high school I have confidently played quarter notes (4/4), eighths (4/8), and sixteenths (4/16) on my hi-hat or ride cymbal and other surfaces.

How many bands have you played in---or do you just notate music?

Your hectoring posts I find abrasive and no longer bother to do anything but skim them. If it makes you feel good bellowing on the Internet "I'm right, he's wrong" I'll cheerfully turn the other cheek.

For 30 years musicians have called me a Bonham clone or Bonzo Jr. or some shit like that so it's going to take some doing to erode my confidence in my musicianship. Note that since high school I have confidently played quarter notes (4/4), eighths (4/8), and sixteenths (4/16) on my hi-hat or ride cymbal and other surfaces.

How many bands have you played in---or do you just notate music?

I'm a professional composer if you must know, I actually earn a living from it, so I have written and arranged music for other musicians numerous times, and because I get paid for it, and time is money, whatever I notate has to be easily understood and quickly played... does that trump your hand? ;)

It's okay, you can be upset for all I care, I just pointed out in my first post that I didn't agree with you, and explained why I didn't agree with you, and you chose to sink the boot in and I disagreed with you again and sank the boot back :)

I'm sorry if you're offended by me stating that you're not counting it correctly, but I know from professional experience that your method of counting it would've left musicians, especially orchestral musicians, rather annoyed. They would've just stared back at you and said "why didn't you just write this thing in 8/8 time?"

Hi Pug, nice to see you turn up here ;)

Well Page had been a producer for Interscope Records, I think, and session muso before joining the Yardbirds, JPJ was session muso and arranger working for Andrew Loog-Oldham and Mickie Most, Plant was singing in the Honeysuckles, and I have no idea what Bonham was doing apart from drumming for somebody...

Plant and Bonham were in a band together in the 1960's called THE BAND OF JOY!

Archived