Bonham's maple kit

miker

Hello,

I am going to attempt my first post here.

I have been looking at many photos/videos of the 1969 Ludwig maple thermogloss kit of Bonham's and to me the first tom does not appear to be a 10x14. To me it looks to be a 12x15, which would contradict what Paul Thompson states on page 136 in the book "A THUNDER OF DRUMS". On p.36 photo #1 most likely shows a 10x14 high tom, which lines up with Thompson's comments. But, in photo #2 on the same page of this book it looks to be a 12x15. All of the other video footage and photos seem to show a 12x15.

Is it possible that 1) Bonham had more than one thermogloss maple kit 2) maybe all of these kits did not consist of the same sizes? In addition to this my eye seems to think all of the maple colored bass drums appear to be deeper than 14" as well, perhaps 16". Any one else?

Also, to note Todd Trent from Ludwig has stated that this high tom in question is a 12x14, but I cannot find any Ludwig literature from 1968 or 1969 that would suggest this tom size was available. In the photos the tom has eight lugs top and bottom, where a 10x14 would only have six top and bottom.

Does any one here have any input? Also, definitive or inside infomation about this kit would be great!

Thanks!!!

Mike

10x14 to my recollection. The only time he had a 15" tom was on the stainless kit, and that was only during the 1980 tour. It was still a 14 in 1977. Hope that helps.

Welcome to the board BTW. :beer:

There's an article by Nick Hunt on www.ludwigdrummer.com that states the thermogloss tom size as 12x15. I don't know if you would call it 'definitive' but it seems as accurate as any I've seen.

I find with bass drums the appearance varies with how wide the rims are, I have a 22x16" with 1.5" rims on it, and a 22x18" with the same rims, and people constantly think the drums are two inches wider than they are.

10x14 to my recollection. The only time he had a 15" tom was on the stainless kit, and that was only during the 1980 tour. It was still a 14 in 1977. Hope that helps.

Welcome to the board BTW. :beer:

Respectfully, I'd like to say that the only 10x14 rack tom that Bonham used was with the green sparkle kit.

The conjecture on the thermogloss kit always seems to be whether the tom is 12x14 or 12x15.

Maple kit was a custom order 14x12, which is why it wouldn't be in the catalogue.

14x10 for the green sparkle & vistalites

15x12 for the silver sparkle studio kit

15x12 for the stainless steel kit except for 1980 when a 14x10 was used on at least one gig.

This...

http://www.griptoad.com/JBKITS.html

...was where I first heard about the 14x12 on the Maple kit. Comparing photos of that kit to the stainless steel kit seem to back it up. The proportions of the tom on the steel kit do look different.

There's an article by Nick Hunt on www.ludwigdrummer.com that states the thermogloss tom size as 12x15. I don't know if you would call it 'definitive' but it seems as accurate as any I've seen.

Thermogloss? You mean the Vistalites, yes?

I'm abslolutely positive that isn't a 15" drum with that kit. It looks nothing like how big the tom looked in 1977 with the steel kit.

Looking at the proportions of the drum, & comparing it to the sizes of the rest of the kit (especially the snare) it's a 14x10.

I think it's a 14x10 rack. If you look at the steel kit he used at Knebworth, you'll see the difference.

As for the kick drum, i've thought the same thing. Looks too deep to be a 14 incher, especially when you compare to the green sparkle or vistalite kits.

Thermogloss? You mean the Vistalites, yes?

I'm abslolutely positive that isn't a 15" drum with that kit. It looks nothing like how big the tom looked in 1977 with the steel kit.

Looking at the proportions of the drum, & comparing it to the sizes of the rest of the kit (especially the snare) it's a 14x10.

Not to argue with you, but one post up you said the thermogloss tom was 14x12. The ludwig reissue of this kit is a 14x12 rack tom, so I would tend to think that you were right about that.

Vistalites weren't in question, so I didn't bring them into the picture.....nice of a picture as they are! B)

.....In addition to this my eye seems to think all of the maple colored bass drums appear to be deeper than 14" as well, perhaps 16". Any one else?

Nah, Bonzo's bass drums were all 14" deep. The Thermogloss (maple finish) bass drum had deeper rims, making the drum itself seem larger.

Not to argue with you, but one post up you said the thermogloss tom was 14x12. The ludwig reissue of this kit is a 14x12 rack tom, so I would tend to think that you were right about that.

Vistalites weren't in question, so I didn't bring them into the picture.....nice of a picture as they are! B)

I see what happened - I'm not so familiar with the term "thermogloss" so I thought you meant the vistalites, when in fact you meant the maple kit.

All clear now - sorry for the confusion. :)

I see what happened - I'm not so familiar with the term "thermogloss" so I thought you meant the vistalites, when in fact you meant the maple kit.

All clear now - sorry for the confusion. :)

Understandable, I use the other term as the majority of kits are maple regardless of the outside finish.

Cheers :beer:

Thanks for the comments and the welcome.

I spent some time looking at photos of what I was told was a 12x15 and photos of Bonham's maple (thermogloss kit). To me it appears that the drum in question could in fact be a 12x14. The depth is definately the same as the 15"(so, I am pretty sure that it is not 10x14). But I am still up in the air as to whether it is a 14" or 15". If anyone finds any more info pleae post it here.

Thanks,

Mike

Miker

The tom in question is a 12x14 - not a standard size. It was either custom made, or a converted "marching" snare drum. I believe it was the latter...

The Green Sparkle kit had a 10x14, as did the the Amber Vistalite.

The Stainless Steel kit had a 12x15 tom in 1977 & 1979 (with "mach" lugs).

The Stainless kit used "Over Europe" in 1980 had a 10x14 (with "classic" lugs).

Roxy Music's Paul Thompson got his dirty little hands on that early Thermogloss kit during the mid 1970's. Apparently the 12x14 was damaged and was cut down to the size we see in todays photos.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I've been on Paul Thompson's site and he mentions nothing about it being damaged or cut down. Can you share your source?

Thanks!

Mike

Miker

The tom in question is a 12x14 - not a standard size. It was either custom made, or a converted "marching" snare drum. I believe it was the latter...

The Green Sparkle kit had a 10x14, as did the the Amber Vistalite.

The Stainless Steel kit had a 12x15 tom in 1977 & 1979 (with "mach" lugs).

The Stainless kit used "Over Europe" in 1980 had a 10x14 (with "classic" lugs).

Roxy Music's Paul Thompson got his dirty little hands on that early Thermogloss kit during the mid 1970's. Apparently the 12x14 was damaged and was cut down to the size we see in todays photos.

Hope this helps!

Working on an early '70's 3ply kit myself, clear interiors, rail mount, etc. All that's left to be done is the wrap.

Hey Bonzoghost! How goes it mate? Might be a good place to post a pic of your kit for drool factor! :beer:

Working on an early '70's 3ply kit myself, clear interiors, rail mount, etc. All that's left to be done is the wrap.

Nice! BG has (I believe it's '72) green sparkle Ludwig kit in Bonzo sizes. The bastard! :lol:

...And here it is:

45712214545f3324def66c54410d20dbcb26a5abd024837ab760d298.jpg

Nice to see ya again Ev! It's been a while...!

Miker - I've met Paul Thompson a couple of times, as he lives very near to me. He told me himself that the tom had been "downsized", although I have read about it somewhere also. Can't remember where.

He doesn't give much away about "the kit". I think he gets sick of being asked. He did tell me he'd like to give it back to Jason one day.

Good luck with your drum project by the way. Be sure to post some pics!

What I meant was, I'm not in the same league as the Big Guy..... :(

B)

Few are my brother, few are...but sittin' on the sidelines ain't no fun, especially with kits like those to show up to a gig with!

Do you play professionally?

Archived