What's the Next Concert You're Attending?

Jahfin

Normally I would be at Desert Daze this weekend. A lot of current bands I like are playing...King Gizzard & the Wizard Lizard, My Bloody Valentine, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Slowdive, Tame Impala, Ty Segall, Shellac, Jarvis Cocker, Earth, Wooden Shjips, Beak>, A Place to Bury Strangers...but because of birthday and work commitments, and the fact that it is being held miles away in the middle of nowhere, I had to skip it even though I was offered free passes (friends of mine are playing the festival). The silver lining is that I have seen many of these bands already in the past year or two.

Instead, I am venturing into unknown territory tonight...some players I have never seen before.

Friday October 12: An evening with Tetuzi Akiyama @ Zebulon Café

Solo and in group improvisations featuring John Krausbauer, Christopher Reid Martin and Micaela Tobin. 

Since emerging in the 1980's from Tokyo's insurgent improvising underground, guitarist TETUZI AKIYAMA has blazed a thrillingly confounding trail. Over the decades Akiyama has developed an utterly unique musical language; his playing reveals a total mastery of the achingly beautiful sounds of roots and country blues music as well as the nuanced avant garde abstractions that embrace subtle sounds and silence. Akiyama is perhaps the only artist that can lay equal claim to the inspiration of John Lee Hooker's boogie guitar runs and John Cage's 4'33". 

As one writer put it- "Tetuzi Akiyama's guitar playing, with its spindly blues-tinged inflections and stifled silences, is without a doubt one of the more engaging performance approaches in contemporary improvisational music. He consistently manages to steer performances away from oblivious dissonant abstraction, denying his sessions the baggage of the usual ominous, sterility-tinted cliches. Akiyama has a sensitive range, able to indulge both in the moments of abandon and focus the improvisation with his dark, raspy melodies."

In addition to making a variety of solo albums covering everything from fingerpicking and slide acoustic guitar atonalism to noisy experimental drone to never ending boogie, Akiyama has made many albums in collaboration with highly praised artists such as Jozef Van Wissem, Donald McPherson, Greg Malcolm, Bruce Russell, Günter Müller, Jason Kahn, Michel Henritzi, Phantom Limb, Gul3, Tim Barnes, Oren Ambarchi, Martin Ng and Alan Licht, just to name a few. Akiyama is also a band member of "Koboku Senjû", "Satanic Abandoned Rock & Roll Society" and "Hontatedori". 

Edited by Strider

Hi @Strider - didn’t realise Jarvis cocker was touring. Very entertaining dude. Hope he comes to Australia. Anyway, you may be aware, he used to be in a band called Pulp. They were brilliant. Big regret of mine that I never saw them in the 90’s. I have some of their stuff including boots. If you want any let me know. 

I suspect that you’d like a similar band from that era - The Verve. They’re a bit heavier though. 

I never saw them either. At that age I guess I must have been too busy chasing girls and focusing on my accounting exams (face palm).....a profession I turned my back on over two years ago. 

Next concert I am going to is ‘No Quarter - The Led Zeppelin Experience’

Have a good weekend. 

Neil 

On 10/12/2018 at 4:36 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Hi @Strider - didn’t realise Jarvis cocker was touring. Very entertaining dude. Hope he comes to Australia. Anyway, you may be aware, he used to be in a band called Pulp. They were brilliant. Big regret of mine that I never saw them in the 90’s. I have some of their stuff including boots. If you want any let me know. 

I suspect that you’d like a similar band from that era - The Verve. They’re a bit heavier though. 

I never saw them either. At that age I guess I must have been too busy chasing girls and focusing on my accounting exams (face palm).....a profession I turned my back on over two years ago. 

Next concert I am going to is ‘No Quarter - The Led Zeppelin Experience’

Have a good weekend. 

Neil 

Neil, you are preaching to the converted. If I am deciphering your avatar correctly, you were born in 1974 which means I've got 12 years on you. I've been into The Verve since "Gravity Grave" came out in 1992. Shortly after that I discovered Sheffield's Pulp when the "Babies" single started getting airplay on KROQ, followed by the "His n Hers" album.

Coincidentally, I saw both bands in concert for the first time at the 1995 Glastonbury Festival. The main reason I planned the trip to the UK for the Festival was because Page & Plant and Stone Roses were headlining. The Stone Roses had never toured the U.S. and showed no sign of ever touring the U.S.

Well, shortly before I left for England the Stone Roses cancelled their appearance. Who did the Festival organizers get to replace them? Pulp. It turned out to be one of the memorable performances in Glastonbury history and catapulted Pulp to Brit frontline status and made a star out of Jarvis Cocker.

I saw Pulp several more times after that before they broke up in the 2000s. Saw Jarvis solo and the last Pulp reunion tours. Always enjoyed them live.

The Verve were a bit more problematic. While I loved the run of albums they did in the 1990s, from "No Come Down" to "Urban Hymns", their concerts were inconsistent. Sometimes they sounded great...huge waves of swirling sound. Other times, they were diffuse or disinterested.

After they split up, I saw Richard Ashcroft on his solo album tour but that was the last time I saw him.

I got GVF tickets for May 25th in Queens NY at Forest Hills Stadium.  The former site of U.S. Open.  I have GA seats.

Also this Friday I will be seeing Elton John on his Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour.  Surprisingly, I have never seen him before.  Looking quite forward to the show as there are five of us going.

I lucked out with the tix when they went on sale as I kept trying and try and nothing came up.  I had given up and gave it a another try and scored some very good seats on the side in section 115 at MSG.  I think someone gave them up and I just lucked out getting them.  This happened a good 30 minutes or so after they went on sale!

I took a little break from concerts last week. I got an offer to see Autograph at the Whiskey last night but I was worn out from football and the World Series. Besides...Autograph sucks.

Closing October out with two more shows.

Tonight: St. Vincent @ Hollywood Bowl.

Wednesday October 31: Thee Oh Sees @ Teragram Ballroom. Happy Halloween! 🎃

I just got a pair for Devon Allman (Greg's son) and Duane Betts (Dickey's son) with Berry Oakley Jr. (duh...), guests include the Dickinson Brothers of North Mississippi Allstars fame and my favorite Samantha Fish!

Edited by chef free

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday  night I'm checking out Doom Side of the Moon. I've seen The Sword once before, so sonically it should be great....and I've seen the Mustachio light show twice, both times doing the lighting for The Black Angles. The combination of the two should be pretty cool !

20181127_174518.jpg

• 3 weeks later...