Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jahfin

What's the Next Concert You're Attending?

lzfan715   
Duran Duran

Wednesday, May 21st

Koka Booth Amphitheatre

Cary, NC

The things we do for love...

I take it you don't actually want to go.

Jahfin   
I take it you don't actually want to go.

More accurately, I'm simply not a fan. My girlfriend has attended many shows with me of artists she's not particularly a fan of so the least I can do is go see Duran Duran with her. Way back in the 80s I was working at a college radio station when artists like Duran Duran, Soft Cell, the Human League, Men at Work, the Replacements, R.E.M. Flock of Seagulls, U2, etc. first broke through so at least I have a tolerance for them. I even liked Hungry Like the Wolf for a few seconds back then but mostly I've never really been a fan of their music. If you had asked me back then if they would still be around in 2008 (much less attending one of their concerts), I would have told you no. I also recall saying much the same thing to my hair metal friends about the likes of Bon Jovi and Poision back in those days. Who knew they'd still be going strong (well, at least Bon Jovi) all these years later.

Jahfin   
.. I think Duran Duran are rather wonderful.

And no that's not sarcasm.

And it ain't the beer talking either.

Hungry Like The Wolf is one of my all time favourites :)

To each their own. I was just never a fan of the synth heavy MTV friendly bands of that time (or of what would later become known as "hair metal"). I was much more a fan of artists like R.E.M., the Replacements, Guadalcanal Diary, Let's Active, the db's, Lone Justice, the Long Ryders, Los Lobos, Stevie Ray Vaughan, U2, etc. back then as well as reggae artists such as the Mighty Diamonds, Peter Tosh, the Itals, David Lindley and El Rayo-X, etc. Many of the New Wave and Hair Metal bands struck me as transparent and superficial. It was just never my thing.

To each their own. I was just never a fan of the synth heavy MTV friendly bands of that time (or of what would later become known as "hair metal"). I was much more a fan of artists like R.E.M., the Replacements, Guadalcanal Diary, Let's Active, the db's, Lone Justice, the Long Ryders, Los Lobos, Stevie Ray Vaughan, U2, etc. back then as well as reggae artists such as the Mighty Diamonds, Peter Tosh, the Itals, David Lindley and El Rayo-X, etc. Many of the New Wave and Hair Metal bands struck me as transparent and superficial. It was just never my thing.

R.E.M. are even more wonderful.... I've loved them since I could first hear! U2 and SRV are good too. I'm not generally a fan of New Wave, but I like some of the stuff. I mainly stick with the metal.. mainly hair, but I'm loving a lot of the thrash nowadays!

Jahfin   
R.E.M. are even more wonderful.... I've loved them since I could first hear! U2 and SRV are good too. I'm not generally a fan of New Wave, but I like some of the stuff. I mainly stick with the metal.. mainly hair, but I'm loving a lot of the thrash nowadays!

Up through my high school years and into the early 80s I was pretty heavy into hard rock but my tastes started to shift (again) once I first heard R.E.M., the Replacements, U2, the Alarm, and local bands like Let's Active, the db's, the Spongetones and others. That said, I still love Zep (duh), Sabbath, Foghat, Van Halen and most of the other music I grew up listening to in the 70s. By the time Cinderella, Poison, and that whole pretty boy hair metal thing hit I had completely lost interest in that type of music. In fact, I can't think of a time when I was ever a fan of hair metal.

Swede   
As one of the handful of Tift fans here you might be interested in this.

Thanks, I'll see if I'm able to catch the show.

Jahfin   
Thanks, I'll see if I'm able to catch the show.

That's cool but I was actually talking about Tift and Zeke finally tying the knot.

Swede   
That's cool but I was actually talking about Tift and Zeke finally tying the knot.

LOL, I saw that as well, but I thought you meant the show.. I did not know they were a couple until quite recently actually.

Swede   

I thought Tift would be my next concert, but in mysterious ways two tickets for tonights concert with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss were given to me!! :o I'm looking forward to see them! :D

moffo   

I'm going watching John Fogerty in Manchester on 22nd June, 11 rows from the front. Last time i went watching him was at Hammersmith Apollo and i was on the upper tier leaning against the back wall!! I couldn't have been any further back if i'd tried! so this should be a lot better!!

Ringo Starr and his allstar band. with Edgar Winter august

Quicksilver Messenger service,Big Brother and the Holding Company, JJ Muggler, Jo Jo Billingsly October

add Jefferson Starship to the second show and I will be backstage for that one Jo Jo was one of the original Honkettes from the early days of Skynyrd she will be doing a southern rock tribute with JJ Muggler.She also is a gosphel singer now and quite good.

I've never seen Jefferson Starship, but am a big Airplane and Hot Tuna fan. Last I heard, Paul Kantner is still playing with them, but does not spend the entire show on stage. He has been getting trouble using the Airplane / Starship name, since it's mostly not the original members. Marty Balin occasionally tours with them, but often is a no show at concerts he is on the bill for. I think they both have health issues. David Frieberg tours with them, but does not play bass anymore. Other members are castoffs from other bands, I hear the two woman singers are young and pretty decent. They supposedly do a mix of Starship and Airplane, which is weird to me, because of the difference in music style. I'll recommend Hot Tuna instead, who still tour and have been playing acoustic or electric shows - mostly old time blues and psychedelic stuff. Original members Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady, who still is amazing. Hope this helped!