Jeff Beck Thread

eagle87

Well Im try to find one, but I can't, so lets start this one.

Since last year, im founding all kind of great artits. I start with Led Zep, then ZZ Top, Eric Clapton (well I realy know him since the 90's with the Eric Clapton Unplugged), B.B. King (same case), Buddy Guy, Cream, The Yardbirds, Jethro Tull, etc....

Now I want to know Jeff Beck.

When I saw Crossroads 2007 Guitar Festival, I saw him for the first time. Jeff's daughter play the bass real nice.

So lets go and give me your opinion, and talk about him.

He plays guitar really well. As for his professional side it's another story or at least used to be. He was known for throwing fits, missing practises and gigs, etc. Like I said, I don't know if that's still true but it was at one point in time.

My husband and I have been fans of Jeff Beck since the late 60's and we both saw him in concert several times during the 70's, both before and after we met. His music and musicianship are phenomenal.

My husband is a huge, passionate fan. Not only had he seen Jeff in concert many more times than me, he knows every album and track - in the way that I know Zep's albums.

The night that we saw Beck, Page, and Clapton on stage together at the ARMS concert was incredible - it was diminished only by how unwell Jimmy was during that period of time. Antoher highlight was seeing Jeff and SRV in concert together - that was probably a year or so after the ARMS concert.

We tried to get concerts to see Jeff when he played at a small venue in LA about two years ago but we were unsuccessful. It seems that he rarely comes to the U.S. which is very unfortunate. My husband would really love to see him play live again, at least one more time, and it seems that will require a trip to England.

I'd like to see him in concert. He looks really got and has aged well. How old is he?

He is great live! So much energy! You're right, he has aged really well. He is only a few months younger than Jimmy so he is 64! I don't think that Jeff did the hard drugs in the same way that Jimmy and Eric did.

Yay, Jeffie! I fuckin' LOVE Jeff Beck. He is one of my favorite guitarists and my second favorite of the Yardbirds guitarists (take a guess for my #1, and no, it's not Page) and I've heard pretty much all of his albums. Blow By Blow being my first and I've branched towards his first and later works and it's just out there, man. Jeff is one of the top best for me, mainly because of his finger picking style.

Well Im try to find one, but I can't, so lets start this one.

Since last year, im founding all kind of great artits. I start with Led Zep, then ZZ Top, Eric Clapton (well I realy know him since the 90's with the Eric Clapton Unplugged), B.B. King (same case), Buddy Guy, Cream, The Yardbirds, Jethro Tull, etc....

Now I want to know Jeff Beck.

When I saw Crossroads 2007 Guitar Festival, I saw him for the first time. Jeff's daughter play the bass real nice.

So lets go and give me your opinion, and talk about him.

No, she's not his daughter.

Tal Wilkenfeld

Brilliant player. Was lucky to see him during the Blow By Blow, Wired and There And Back tours ( all small venues ) as well as his stint with Rod Stewart in the 80's.

Brilliant player. Was lucky to see him during the Blow By Blow, Wired and There And Back tours ( all small venues ) as well as his stint with Rod Stewart in the 80's.

I'm not green with envy, not at all....okay maybe a little <_< But seriously, that's awesome. Can only imagine how great the shows were!

I'm not green with envy, not at all....okay maybe a little <_< But seriously, that's awesome. Can only imagine how great the shows were!

They were all good but my favorite was the Blow By Blow tour in 75. Bernard Purdy on drums and Max Middleton. Great band. I wish I could have seen him more recently but work commitments made it impossible

there and back was my fave....simon phillips was a monster, still have my jersey from that show.

i bought a ticket to see rod stewart with beck in the '80s-he didn't play. did he play any concerts on that tour?

the show with stevie ray (guitar shop tour) was kick ass, too...

Edited by beatbo

there and back was my fave....simon phillips was a monster, still have my jersey from that show.

i bought a ticket to see rod stewart with beck in the '80s-he didn't play. did he play any concerts on that tour?

the show with stevie ray (guitar shop tour) was kick ass, too...

He played in Vancouver. Came on as a guest about half way through Stewarts set. They did a few songs from Truth and the stuff that Beck had featured on Camouflage. They were brilliant

Isn't most of his music purely instrumental, without any lyrics? That's how I recall it, other than with Rod and the Yardbirds - and the radio doesn't play any group that he was involved with. He's great on guitar, but I loose interest in many of these guys (also Satriani) that have no vocalist at all, after a few songs. It is ludicrous for me to say that, given I always say the message of the lyrics isn't as important as the musicianship. I'm a hypocrite, and it's my loss. Freeway Jam is superb, though!

Isn't most of his music purely instrumental, without any lyrics? That's how I recall it, other than with Rod and the Yardbirds - and the radio doesn't play any group that he was involved with. He's great on guitar, but I loose interest in many of these guys (also Satriani) that have no vocalist at all, after a few songs. It is ludicrous for me to say that, given I always say the message of the lyrics isn't as important as the musicianship. I'm a hypocrite, and it's my loss. Freeway Jam is superb, though!

Most of his musical creations - and some of our favorites - are instrumental. Rod Stewart used to sing with Jeff as a member of the Jeff Beck Group. I've also heard Clapton and Carmine Appice doing vocals with Jeff but there were, at different times, other musicians, male and female (sorry, I don't remember their names) singing vocals.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

Beck is a great Guitarist have seen Him live twice 72 and 75 but in 75 He left the stage just a few songs into his set due to rain.He said I am Getting wet My Guitar is getting wet goodnight. Then Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top came out and said basically the same thing exept that rain or not they were going to play thier butts off and they did.I was not impressed with his attitude and have never been to another of his shows do still buy his cds though and I still think He is a great Player.His Proffesional

behavior leaves a lot to be desired.

I went to see him in 1981 and was very excited that he was billed as "Jeff Beck and Special Guests"

They turned out to be Chas 'n' Dave. :rolleyes:

Have seen him a few times since and bumped into him at several gigs including Brian Setzer in LA in 1985 and Robert Plant in London a couple of years ago (where quite a few fans choked on their drinks when he popped into the pub opposite for a drink before the gig).

Also saw him at the show Paul has posted pics of - or some of it anyway. :D