Jeff Beck Thread

eagle87

JEFF BECK'S 19 BEST GUEST APPEARANCES

Gary Graff - January 12, 2023

attachment-BeckGuest.jpg.05e4b36faa5bae828e9f9cc1b8f9b8a4.jpg

USR / Redferns, Getty Images

Jeff Beck played nice with others - many others - throughout his 60-year recording career, although some bandmates may say that "nice" was not always the case.

Nevertheless, Beck's musical life put him alongside scores of other musicians, as a band member (from Screaming Lord Sutch & the Savages to the Yardbirds to Beck, Bogert & Appice), leading two Jeff Beck Groups and employing corps of top-shelf players as a solo artist. The guitarist some consider the best-ever electric player was also a guest of choice, particularly after his two-time Rock & Roll Hall of Fame reputation was established with the Yardbirds.

Since the late '60s, Beck has lent his skills to no less that three dozen recordings by other artists, a range that includes likely candidates and surprises such as Diana Ross, Kate Bush, Seal and Kelly Clarkson. There's a whole lotta Beck out there, but we revisit some of his six-string cameos in the below list of Jeff Beck's 19 Best Guest Appearances.

Stevie Wonder, "Lookin' for Another Pure Love" (1972)

Beck had recorded an album's worth of music at Motown's Studio A in Detroit during 1970, working with the Funk Brothers as well as his drummer Cozy Powell. That material has never been released, but the guitarist appeared on Motown via Stevie Wonder's Talking Book, playing on the deep cut "Looking for Another Pure Love." Wonder returned the favor on 1975's Blow by Blow, playing uncredited clavinet on Beck's version of his "Thelonious," one of two Wonder covers on the album.

Stanley Clarke, Journey to Love (1975)

Beck was in full jazz fusion flight during the mid-'70s, so he was an appropriate choice to be part of the Return to Forever bassist's third solo album, Beck is featured on the title track and the cheekily titled "Hello Jeff," then came back into Clarke's world for "Rock 'n' Roll Jelly" on 1978's Modern Man.

Rod Stewart, Camouflage (1984)

The original Jeff Beck Group pair rekindled their on-and-off relationship for Rod Stewart's 13th solo album, with Beck playing on "Infatuation," "Bad for You" and a cover of Todd Rundgren's "Can We Still Be Friends." The former was a Top 10 hit and the album went gold, but Beck opted out of a planned tour with Stewart for that summer. They'd be back together the following year, however, combing for a hit cover of the Impressions' "People Get Ready" on Beck's Flash album.

Tina Turner, "Private Dancer" (1984)

Dire Straits' Mark Knopfler intended the title track of Turner's comeback album for his band's Love Over Gold album but felt the lyrics wouldn't sound right coming from a male singer. So Straits' manager Ed Bicknell pitched it to Tina Turner's manager Roger Davies for everybody's gain. Beck contributed the guitar solo, while the rest of Dire Straits, sans Knopfler, re-recorded their parts for the Turner version.

Vanilla Fudge, Mystery (1984)

When Vanilla Fudge regrouped for their first album in 15 years, Beck was on hand, though he's credited contractual reasons as J. Toad.

Mick Jagger, She's the Boss (1985) and Primitive Cool (1987)

With the Rolling Stones in an acrimonious hiatus, Mick Jagger tapped Beck - who was twice considered for membership - as the lead guitarist of choice for his first two solo albums. He's on six tracks for She's the Boss and the entirety of it's follow-up, though he wound up not touring as part of Jagger's solo band.

Malcolm McLaren, Waltz Darling (1989)

The onetime Sex Pistols manager and muso impresario threw a lot at the wall here, including Beck, who joins Bootsy Collins on "House of the Blue Danube (An Instrumental)" and Gina Ce on "Call a Wave."

Jon Bon Jovi, Blaze of Glory (1990)

Beck is all over Bon Jovi's solo companion album for the move Young Guns ll, playing on seven tracks, including the chart-topping title track single.

Buddy Guy, "Mustang Sally" and "Early in the Morning" (1991)

Chicago bluesman Guy was a hero to many on the British scene during the '60s, so Beck - along with Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler - were only too happy to help out on Guy's comeback album, Damn Right I've Got the Blues. Beck plays on Sir Mack Rice's "Mustang Sally," then teams with Yardbirds predecessor Clapton on "Early in the Morning."

Roger Waters, Amused to Death (1992)

Beck's ringing tone was a good fit for the former Pink Floyd bassist's third solo album, serving as a principal soloist appearing on five of its tracks, including the lead single "What God Wants, Pt. 1."

Kate Bush, "You're the One" (1993)

Bush wasn't running up the hill on her The Red Shoes album, but her guitar army on the album included Clapton, Prince and, on its closing track, Becks's distinct tone.

Paul Rodgers, "Rollin' Stone" (1993)

Beck helped another old friend, Free and Bad Company singer Paul Rodgers, on Muddy Waters Blues: A Tribute to Muddy Waters, rockin' on this classic from the Waters repertoire.

ZZ Top, "Hey Mr. Millionaire" (1999)

The title of their collaboration on ZZ Top's XXX album probably applied to both Beck and that Little Ol' Band From Texas' three members. It is, not surprisingly, a comfortable fit, and the two acts combined again on "Rough Boy" and "Sixteen Tons" from ZZ Top's Live: Greatest Hits Around the World in 2016.

Pretenders, "Legalise Me" (1999)

Beck and Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde struck up an association that led to him playing on this track from the band's 1999 set, Viva El Amor, and then joining Hynde for "Mystery Train" from 2001's Good Rockin' Tonight: The Legacy of Sun Records. They'd also periodically join each other onstage over the years.

Joe Cocker, "I (Who Have Nothing)" (2004)

Beck was part of the guest list on fellow British stalwart Joe Cocker's all-covers album Heart & Soul, playing on this English language cover of the soulful Italian staple "Uno  Dei Tanti."

Yardbirds, "My Blind Life" (2003)

Though he's slammed the band pretty hard at its 1992 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction for firing him, Beck was happy enough 11 years later to contribute to Birdland, a new album by a reconstituted Yardbirds led by original member Chris Dreja and Jim McCarty. Clapton came back, too, while fellow six-stringers Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Queen's Brian May, Slash, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter and Toto's Steve Lukather also pitched in.

Imelda May, "Black Tears" (2017)

Irish singer May was a big part of Rock 'n' Roll Party, Beck's 2011 live album celebrating Les Paul. He returned the favor by guesting on this key track from Life Love Fresh Blood, May's fifth album.

Dion, "Can't Start Over Again" (2020)

The Wanderer's Blues With Friend album was just that, Beck was among a great many pals - including Bruce Springsteen, Billy Gibbons, Van Morrison and others - helping out on the set.

Ozzy Osbourne, "Patient Number 9" and "A Thousand Shades" (2022)

Some of Beck's final recordings were done for Osbourne's 2022 album, including its Grammy Award nominated title track.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jeff-beck-guest-appearances/

Edited by luvlz2

Remembering Jeff Beck, Music Legend and True Hot-Rodder

HOT ROD takes a look back at the rock icon's unique perspective and automotive passion

Tori Tellem - Writer, Getty images - Photographer - January 25, 2023

20200622-beck-02.webp.6e2d9d333562561a2f6c4f0a444e8f5a.webp

Jeff Beck passed away January 10th, 2023, at the age of 78. Most people knew him as a Grammy-winning guitarist. The rest of us knew him as a Grammy-winning guitarist and hardcore hot-rodder. About 10 years ago, I had the chance to interview hardcore hot-rodder Jeff Beck. He was about to be honored--along with the late Ken Block-by the Petersen Automotive Museum as part of a "Race, Rock 'n Rally" fundraiser; being recognized for this was "emotional."

I was in Los Angeles, he was in the UK. It was made very clear to me by his people and others involved that I would have approximately 10 minutes of Jeff's time and must follow strict Q&A protocol, with my time slot being at the very end of the hour that had been allotted to accomplish all his media interviews.

We ended up violating every mandate and spoke for 45 minutes. He was funny, enthusiastic, honest, and openly reflective about his life as a car guy and builder. It might not be rock 'n' roll to be considered a class act, but that's what he was. I was told later by his handlers that he'd said it was one of his favorite interviews. Perhaps it was because we talked cars more than music. Or perhaps the answer can be found in something he said: "I've never met a nasty hot-rodder. You're not just seeing cars. You're seeing people having a lovely time." Talking with him was a lovely time.

GettyImages-587562022.webp.38aecc302cfc83e8f1e0f37f66551b14.webp

And he was no poseur. He had a humble upbringing, with "maybe one car for every 10 properties on my street. A car was something to be marveled at. You could climb in and touch the pedal and go somewhere."

His mom gave him his first issue of HOT ROD Magazine when he was about 6 years old, and he told me  "I remember seeing Gray Baskervilles's 1932 Ford roadster. I loved that." That same year, his uncle taught him about cars and parts in a workshop at the back of his "flat." He grew up to become an avid builder, with a collection that included a replica of the 1932 Ford Coupe from American Graffiti (he'd actually bid on the original from the film but lost). He was a big fan of nostalgia drags. A 2007 Chevy Corvette was the fastest car he's ever owned.

At the time of my interview, his collection had 14 hot rods and three Corvettes, "and I just got another one yesterday, a '32 five-window that I'm going to strip down." He would get each project car to the point where the paint and interior were done. All were his favorite, which brought an astute observation about the challenge of owning that much inventory: It's more like having a museum, "and it's a bit over-the-top in terms of practicality, and, inevitably, if you've got 15, 14 are going to get flat batteries or the tires are going to go down or you're going to say 'uh oh.'"

Jeff-Beck-Car.jpg.cd12bef0d1d9b1edf44e5a58fd762368.jpg

Here are a few other keen observations from a true gearhead, whose talent on the guitar and passion for cars will be truly missed.

On Building Cars

"I've built cars that really go well, but not one that wheel-stands. I was gonna put a really nasty engine in it, like a 500- or 450-horsepower small-block Chevy with injection and get to experience what it is like to do 11 seconds or 10 seconds and also have it slightly streetable as well, and one that I build completely from the ground up."

On Chrome

"I just couldn't get over chrome. How did you find it in you? Why would you chrome and engine? It's a rusty, oily thing. It opened up my eyes to a whole different culture."

On That Constant Spare Part

"It usually starts with a spare frame, and that's the curse, because if you've got a spare frame, you know you're going to build another car. And then a guy sells you a body, but he's got the frame for it. So, you always have a spare frame."

On Learning To Weld

"It wasn't until about 1968 or 1969 that I learned to weld and that's when it took off. It was a hot-rodder I met in Boston. I was looking in the window of a speed shop and he pulled up in a T-bucket and I went, 'Oh, my God,' and he spent my summer break teaching my to weld. I learned everything about the basics of hot-rodding from a T-bucket."

Jeff-Beck-collection.jpg.e2b2fbdd20b5f48a14adc34fc5c22bf2.jpg

On The T-Bucket

"It's just a square frame with a glass body on top of it and an engine, and what you do with it is up to you as long as it's engineered well and starts and goes. It's the basics, nothing else. No fancy stuff at all. I'm comfortable as well. Now it's about heated seats and automatic mirrors and all that. It's utterly and completely not necessary at all. A little '32 roadster with turn signals, brake light, and headlights and then you're on the go."

On His Passion For Driving

It's no doubt that people are addicted to driving. When you put the pedal to the metal and go faster that you could normally walk, and you can go places miles away, it's a novelty, and that's why people can't stop driving. It's still the most amazing adventure you've ever known, isn't it?"

On Road Trips

"Unfortunately, in England, wherever you go you're going to get a traffic jam. But I'd love to do that. I've never been to the salt flat. I know Charlie Nearburg, the record holder, and he said I can drive it."

On Working On Cars

"I like to get the nasty jobs done first. The frame is the backbone of any car, so the frame comes first."

On American Graffiti

"I didn't go to movies that often -- I still don't like movies. I only go to the ones that everybody raves about. But I think it was the secretary of my manager who said, 'Have you seen American Graffiti?' and I said, 'Nope." When the car crashes into the restaurant at the beginning, I said, 'I'm hooked. My movie.' And when the car parks at Mel's Drive-in, that was it. That was me up on screen! And even though I didn't go to LA until 2 or 3 years after, I smelled the air of that film, you know what I mean? It was just a little humble '32 five-window coupe."

On The Challenge Of Reproducing That '32

"The question was, why did it look that good? Everything about that car was spot-on. Pat Ganahl took me to see it and my whole world stood still when I sat in it. Making it look like it did--the glamor of the camera and all the color and all that. I'm still trying to get it right. But It's pretty damn close. Why I'm doing it, I don't know."

On The Brizios

"I took a ride out [to San Francisco] in a limo once to Mission Street to see the Brizio family. I told the limo driver, 'Can you park a least a mile away? I don't want them to see me get out.' But they said, 'Bring that limo up here! We want to see it.' And I said, 'Oh no.' But I struck up a friendship with Andy, and we promised one day we'd get together and build cars, and he did a couple for me. Most of what I've learned, I learned from him."

On Restomods

"Restomod enables you to drive the best-looking car ever and enjoy it the way that it could never be enjoyed. Proper brakes, rack-and-pinion steering, the way it should have been that way in the first place. Restomods are great. The purists always maintain that you shouldn't alter a nut and bolt. But we're hot-rodders. We do alter things. We want them to be better."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/musician-jeff-beck-interview-cars-life-death

Edited by luvlz2

Band Member Tal Wilkenfeld Remembers Jeff Beck and His Otherworldly Ways

Bart Bull - January 26, 2023

b51143ebbabce7e2a03e3cf7a8159405.webp.6f7344e81c4cfade8bbe7b44db5b59dc.webp

When someone passes from your life, from everyone else's life, it's not like they're not still there. Some people leave a larger absence than others; some people are hard to talk about as gone, since they're not. Gone away but not gone.

At 19, Tal Wilkenfelf ate an airport pizza in New York, spent the flight to England puking pizza and then green stuff, suffered the drive to Tunbridge Wells, Kent, and stepped straight into a rehearsal with Jeff Beck. "That's the band!!" Beck said once they'd run the set. She'd been playing bass for two years.

"I think it's more of a... a chemistry that happens when people are connected. And I can't explain why or how, I just know when it's happening. And that connection that I have with him is one that I've never had with anybody else. And I sit here and wonder if I will ever have that with anybody else.

fbfed163b4c21c941400807b48cbf457.webp.5db2a297ab838c89b53bff4b03bcaa0b.webp

Tal Wilkenfeld performing at the Bass Player LIVE! Concert and Awards Show at The Fonda Theatre on November 9, 2013 in Los Angeles. (Credit: Michael Tullberg/Getty Images)

He definitely feeds off the band in a really powerful way. He looks to the drums and bass to kind of egg him on musically. The more fire you throw at him, the more fiery he gets. And that's really fun, because he's a really interactive player.

"Melodically and harmonically, he's also incredibly adventurous -- there's no limits to him, because he doesn't approach the guitar as just a guitar. He's approaching it as a vocalist -- he is, in fact, a singer. And I don't just mean that melodically, but also conceptually. Because when he would listen to a recording, he would listen to the words. I mean, he'd listen to the music, too, but for him, it was all about the message, the meaning, what the singer was saying that was the utmost importance to him, and to be an instrumentalist who puts the lyric first.

"He was goofy with us. And that's not a side he showed a lot of people. He was publicly very quiet but with the ones he was very close with, he was incredibly goofy and silly. I think that's what kept him so ...fresh. He has that child-like sensibility with music and with life, to just kind of laugh anything off and just make a joke of everything.

"I was kind of treated like a daughter by him and his wife, Sandra. I lived with them for a little bit in England, stayed at their flat, taught me how to cook a few things. It was just family kind-of vibes. They treated me incredibly well. Sandra is such a gem! We'd be rehearsing upstairs, and she would just walk in and say, 'Hey, guys -- that second verse you played a minute ago? Well, I don't know if that substitution chord you played, it kind of gets in the way of the melody...' Or 'Jeff, your D-string is a little flat...' She literally has great ears -- Jeff loved her ears. Jeff loved asking her opinion on stuff. Jeff doesn't talk music theory. It doesn't matter to him if it's 9/8 or 15/16 -- 'Just play the thing and I'll play on top of it.'

"I have a white Strat sitting next to me right now. He picked that up and sounded exactly like Jeff Beck. Picked up my Tele, sounds exactly like Jeff Beck. Picked up this old toy guitar at a festival one time -- sounds exactly like Jeff Beck. Plays it through this tiny little Roland Cube amp -- sounds exactly like Jeff Beck. It's all in his fingers, and in his intention.

"He was incredibly smart, incredibly intuitive, and perceptive. He didn't say much, but he was picking up on everything.

"It's about our connection. It's like when you fall in love with somebody. You don't know why you fell in love with somebody. You can try to rationalize it. and say 'Oh, it's because they have this personality, and they have this look and do they like these things...' but that's just the intellect. The chemistry's not something you can explain. And it's the same thing with musicians playing together. You either have it or you don't have it.

"It'll never be in the same way, to that extreme intensity, with all the elements combined, from passion to humor to connection to vulnerability -- all the little elements that created those moments. That chemistry that can't be made. You can't manufacture that. It's beyond human control. It's otherworldly.'"

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/band-member-tal-wilkenfeld-remembers-130011582.html

Edited by luvlz2