Whisky Tread

eagle87

One time I drank seven of those in the same night, besides the others drinks...

Don't need to tell you more... just imagine.

Believe me when I tell you, it's the damn coke ;)

Bad Economy? Not For Bourbon Makers

WLEX-TV

updated 9:44 a.m. CT, Thurs., July. 3, 2008

LAWRENCEBURG, Ky. (AP) - To Wild Turkey master distiller Jimmy Russell, the piercing sounds of a warehouse rising in the Kentucky countryside are the sounds of prosperity.

"As long as you see work going on - and the construction, and increasing your size - you know your business is doing well," said Russell, who started working for the bourbon maker in 1954.

Distillers are expanding their bourbon production and storage and dispatching sales teams around the world, bullish for a traditionally Southern beverage gaining popularity worldwide. Surging exports, the weak U.S. dollar and rising popularity among younger Americans are driving the boom.

"It's an exciting time to be in the bourbon business," said Max L. Shapira, president of Heaven Hill Distilleries Inc., a family-owned liquor company based in Bardstown. "Most of the time that I've been in the business - up until about the last 10 years - everybody was trying to consign the bourbon category to that great liquor store in the sky."

Heaven Hill recently spent nearly $4 million boosting capacity 50 percent at its distillery in Louisville, where it makes Evan Williams and Elijah Craig bourbons.

Wild Turkey, part of beverage company Pernod Ricard SA, based in France, sold more than 1 million cases worldwide last year for the first time. Its $36 million expansion near Lawrenceburg will nearly double its production. The distillery at Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey in Lynchburg, Tenn., is about to undergo a nearly $6 million addition to install nine more fermenters.

Maker's Mark is preparing for a second expansion. And Jim Beam, the world's biggest bourbon maker, is in the midst of a $70 million expansion in Kentucky. Beam and Maker's are part of Fortune Brands Inc.

Bad Economy? Not For Bourbon Makers

WLEX-TV

updated 9:44 a.m. CT, Thurs., July. 3, 2008

LAWRENCEBURG, Ky. (AP) - To Wild Turkey master distiller Jimmy Russell, the piercing sounds of a warehouse rising in the Kentucky countryside are the sounds of prosperity.

"As long as you see work going on - and the construction, and increasing your size - you know your business is doing well," said Russell, who started working for the bourbon maker in 1954.

Distillers are expanding their bourbon production and storage and dispatching sales teams around the world, bullish for a traditionally Southern beverage gaining popularity worldwide. Surging exports, the weak U.S. dollar and rising popularity among younger Americans are driving the boom.

"It's an exciting time to be in the bourbon business," said Max L. Shapira, president of Heaven Hill Distilleries Inc., a family-owned liquor company based in Bardstown. "Most of the time that I've been in the business - up until about the last 10 years - everybody was trying to consign the bourbon category to that great liquor store in the sky."

Heaven Hill recently spent nearly $4 million boosting capacity 50 percent at its distillery in Louisville, where it makes Evan Williams and Elijah Craig bourbons.

Wild Turkey, part of beverage company Pernod Ricard SA, based in France, sold more than 1 million cases worldwide last year for the first time. Its $36 million expansion near Lawrenceburg will nearly double its production. The distillery at Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey in Lynchburg, Tenn., is about to undergo a nearly $6 million addition to install nine more fermenters.

Maker's Mark is preparing for a second expansion. And Jim Beam, the world's biggest bourbon maker, is in the midst of a $70 million expansion in Kentucky. Beam and Maker's are part of Fortune Brands Inc.

Well that's good news... Is a nice business, not only for the money... I have a friend that always says: "Money is not everthing, only 99%"... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Once you drink the Black you will never be able to drink the Red again. Its pure rot gut compared to the black. I used to love Scotch but I don't drink whiskey anymore. I never liked JD but will admit its quality stuff as I've seen the process they use to make it. Just to "sweet" for me. They say Gin is the worst thing you can drink because of the refinement. Very bad for you. I think I like Vodka the most now but of course it's always been regarded as the tasteless liquor.

Do you try this one? PRAVDA - Polish Vodka

pravda%20750ml%20for%20website.jpg

Although...

Real Irish Coffee - http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink4414.html

You need a burner and irish coffee glasses. 1 shot of bushmills and a teaspoon of brown sugar in the clean glass. Tilt the glass on the burner and turn steadily until the whiskey is smoking slightly. Pull the glass back and let the whiskey ignite. Take away from flame and distinguish with hot coffee. Set glass down and add a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy. That is how you make real irish coffee.

I really hate coffee anytime other than the early morning, so my wife never sees me order an after dinner drink like Irish Coffee. We were in a fancy historic restaurant once, and she dared me to get one - so I asked for a double whiskey shot in it, so there'd be less coffee. She got coffee with Grand Marnier and Kahlua - which sounded pretty good? The waitress switched the drinks by mistake, so when I tasted mine, it was like "Hey, this ain't bad"! When she took a gulp of the double whiskey one, thinking it was the easy drinking one - well, you can imagine the gagging!?!?!?

• 10 years later...

I could have sworn there was a more recent Whiskey/Whisky/Bourbon thread here on the Forum...started by KiwiZepFan? But I couldn't find it. This was all that came up in the search...and misspelled thread titles are pet peeve of mine. There should be a way to fix misspellings in Topic titles.

Anyway, I indulged in quite a lot of whiskey on my birthday. Bourbon to be more precise.

Blanton's Single Barrel was tops. Followed by Four Roses Single Barrel. Buffalo Trace Kentucky Bourbon wasn't bad for the low price. And because I'm half-Irish, I had a few pours of Jameson and Tullamore Dew Irish whiskeys.

Edited by Strider

6 hours ago, Strider said:

I could have sworn there was a more recent Whiskey/Whisky/Bourbon thread here on the Forum...started by KiwiZepFan? But I couldn't find it. This was all that came up in the search...and misspelled thread titles are pet peeve of mine. There should be a way to fix misspellings in Topic titles.

Anyway, I indulged in quite a lot of whiskey on my birthday. Bourbon to be more precise.

Blanton's Single Barrel was tops. Followed by Four Roses Single Barrel. Buffalo Trace Kentucky Bourbon wasn't bad for the low price. And because I'm half-Irish, I had a few pours of Jameson and Tullamore Dew Irish whiskeys.

My preferred whiskey:

https://www.connemarawhiskey.com/

7 hours ago, Strider said:

My go to is Basil Hayden but the Four Roses Single Barrel is quickly becoming my favorite. One of these days I am going to have to try some Pappy Van Winkle, but spending $250 on their cheapest offering is a bit steep for my tastes. I ordered a Louis XIII cognac once because I just had to know what all the fuss was about and why anyone would pay $110 for a single ounce of anything. Talk about swill! Tasted like it was distilled in a hobo's shoe and filtered through his shorts. Nasty. Of course I was told such highbrow hootch is an "acquired" tasted. Piss on that, for $110 an ounce pour it better taste like rainbows and baby smiles, mixed with the ambrosia of the gods.

Ps. Happy Birthday Sean, hope you enjoyed some of that Blanton's on your birthday my friend.

I have no interest in spending even $100, let alone $250 or more, for a drop of hooch.

It goes against my idea of whiskey as being a drink of, by and for the people. Let the idle rich have their snooty cognacs and brandies. Whiskey is a drink for the common good.

Now, if I happen to be a guest somewhere and the host offers me a glass of Pappy Van Winkle, sure I will accept. But I ain't spending my hard-earned coin on the stuff.

• 2 years later...

I know this ain't whiskey but had to post. Found a new go to drink called a Green Beast. It is 1oz absinthe, 1oz simple syrup, 1oz lime juice, 4oz ice water and three cucumber slices. I was pleasantly surprised to find out how well lime juice tames the overwhelming star anise and other herbals within the absinthe. This is a really good drink and extremely refreshing too which are two descriptors I thought I would never use in the same sentence as absinthe .

BTW, I altered the reciept slightly for my own tastes: 1.5oz absinthe and 2oz of ice water, everything else the same proportions. The absinthe I used was Jade 1901 which is the only absinthe I can stomach.

2 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

I know this ain't whiskey but had to post. Found a new go to drink called a Green Beast. It is 1oz absinthe, 1oz simple syrup, 1oz lime juice, 4oz ice water and three cucumber slices. I was pleasantly surprised to find out how well lime juice tames the overwhelming star anise and other herbals within the absinthe. This is a really good drink and extremely refreshing too which are two descriptors I thought I would never use in the same sentence as absinthe .

BTW, I altered the reciept slightly for my own tastes: 1.5oz absinthe and 2oz of ice water, everything else the same proportions. The absinthe I used was Jade 1901 which is the only absinthe I can stomach.

When I drink absinthe it’s like the devil has entered my body! It takes over your throat, stomach and lungs simultaneously! 

3 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

39 minutes ago, Walter said:

When I drink absinthe it’s like the devil has entered my body! It takes over your throat, stomach and lungs simultaneously! 

I only drink absinthe in two places…New Orleans and Paris, France. Won't trust it anywhere else.

30 minutes ago, Strider said:

I only drink absinthe in two places…New Orleans and Paris, France. Won't trust it anywhere else.

If you like absinthe there are several brands made in France & the US which use the original Pernod recipes. Most you can get at Total Wine or Bevmo though you may have to order them. Average cost is around $60 a bottle for the good stuff. As an occasional absinthe drinker a bottle will last me a good year.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

You mean from Total Wine off I-4 isn’t acceptable?? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Walter said:

You mean from Total Wine off I-4 isn’t acceptable?? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

You just don't know quality when you see it. The only thing missing is the Ripple. Damn, only the good die young:

Edited by BobDobbs