Joni's Journey

Bong-Man

Seen Joni many times in concert, .........

Strider, you have seen her many times in concert? How lucky for you! I bet they were great shows. :)

I found 2 clips that others might find interesting. This first one is Joni singing with only her guitar, "Harry's House" on the Rosie O'Donnell show (circa 1997)

What is unusual is it's the only time I've seen Miss Joni flub a lyric on one of her songs.

She catches it and recovers barely missing a beat. Note @ the 1:47 mark on the video for the rare blooper.

This next clip I discovered tonight accidently perusing Joni's music on You/Tube. It is from her latest album/cd "Shine."

What's unusual here is Joni who customarily composes all her own music and lyrics does an interpretation of a poem.

The poem is Rudyard Kipling's "If", however she changes up the lyrics quite a bit in some spots.

This is from 2007 and Joni may be pushing 65 here, but she sure still has it going on imo. ...... :) missy

Strider, you have seen her many times in concert? How lucky for you! I bet they were great shows. :)

Well, I'm OLD you know...

My Joni Mitchell roll call of concerts:

1. November 18, 1972: Troubadour Club, West Hollywood

2. August 17, 1974: Universal Amphitheatre (back when it was an open-air venue), Los Angeles

3. September 15, 1979: Greek Theatre, Hollywood

4. April 30, 1983: Theatre des Champs Elysees, Paris

5. April 16, 1998: Wiltern Theatre, LA (STORMY WEATHER-Benefit for the Walden Woods Project)

6. May 22, 1998: UCLA Pauley Pavilion, Westwood (this was the tour with Bob Dylan and Van Morrison...Joni always played second, while Bob and Van alternated headlining slots...on this night, the second of two at UCLA, Bob opened, followed by Joni, and then Van wrapped things up.)

7. May 12, 2000: Greek Theatre, Hollywood (lucky number 7...and barring some miracle, probably my last Joni concert)

Now, I decided to go way-way back in the way-back machine...back to when Joni Mitchell was actually Joni Anderson, and she appeared on this Canadian TV show, "Let's Sing Out". These two clips are from a 1965 appearance...if you look closely, you'll spot Dave Van Ronk and the Chapin Family, including Harry Chapin, who went on to have a huge hit, "Cat's in the Cradle" in 1974. So ladies and gentlemen, I give you Joni Anderson...or as the host says, "Joan" Anderson.

Hope you enjoyed that.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Taylor Swift in Talks to Play Joni Mitchell

Singer may star in biopic of Mitchell, Carole King and Carly Simon

By ROLLING STONE

main.jpg

Taylor Swift visits 'The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.'

Kevin Winter/NBCUniversal/Getty Images

Taylor Swift is in talks to portray Joni Mitchell in a forthcoming movie, Variety reports. The country pop star is reportedly close to signing on for an adaptation of Sheila Weller's book Girls Like Us, a biography of Mitchell, Carole King andCarly Simon. Alison Pill, who has previously starred in Midnight in Paris, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and HBO's In Treatment, has auditioned to play King in the film.

Katie Jacobs, an executive producer on House, will direct the movie from a script by John Sayles. If Swift gets the role, it would be her first experience acting in a big-screen drama. She previously had a small part in the romantic comedy ensemble Valentine's Day and recently voiced a role in the animated film The Lorax.

Edited by Jahfin

• 3 months later...

This is the BEST Joni line-up. This is from her Shadows and Light dvd.

The musicians are Pat Metheney-guitar, Michael Brecker-sax, Jaco Pastorius-bass , Lyle Mays-Keys and Don Alias on Drums.

Missed the first time around but watched it last night when I stumbled upon it after looking up a version of "Carey". Good stuff. I should probably get around to picking up that Shadows and Light DVD someday.

Missed the first time around but watched it last night when I stumbled upon it after looking up a version of "Carey". Good stuff. I should probably get around to picking up that Shadows and Light DVD someday.

Jahfin, I missed your post above about Taylor Swift the first time around, so that makes us even! :)

I have the book Girls Like Us, and it should make an interesting picture. The book covers from their youth to their peak and beyond for all 3 ladies, Mitchell, Simon, and King. I know nothing about Taylor Swift....so can't speak to what I think of her singing, but she sure looks pretty enough to play a young Joni.

I wanted to give you the lowdown on the Joni Mitchell DVD's currently out there. Especially, after you listened to Free Man and mentioned possibly picking up Shadows and Light. I rate that dvd a C+ only. It has nothing to do with Joni's voice and this is the 1979 concert where Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Lyle Mays and Don Alias are her supremely talented backing musicians..but and it's a big but for me.

The DVD makes me crazy at times because the method they used to record this fantastic show is to intersplice videos of pointless stuff where you don't end up seeing Joni or the players much at all. They are only a very few videos (one being Free Man in Paris) where the producer decided not to insert these images. My favorite song of hers, Hejira, you don't ever see her playing/singing. What you see is this "movie" of Joni ice-skating to the song being played live on the DVD. It makes me crazy because I want to see the show, not fantasy. Here's the only example I could find on you/tube to give you an idea. Having said this, it's still a good pickup for 10 bucks on amazon just to hear the music live with Jaco imo.

The other DVD below available on amazon for a little more (24.95) I would rate an A+. It is a special double Dvd with a PBS special on one dvd of Joni's life which was done well, a few outtakes but no full length music however. The 2nd DVD in the package is from her show in 1996 to a small audience who was invited to see her artwork on display (which they show briefly) and then hear Joni play with a different group of muscians than the 1979 Shadows and Light Band.

410VZNZ29PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This DVD has NO fantasy cut-away stuff in it to distract from seeing Joni play. She is a little older of course, but I think she puts on a fine show and with the PBS bio disc included too, a nice package. Sorry to go on so long, but you know I love my Joni! :)

A follow-up to my above post, I was able to find the video I was looking for on You/Tube.

So, for anyone who gets Shadows and Light DVD, you will hear a wonderful performance of Joni singing Hejira, but this is what you're going to see.....

On the other special Collector's Double DVD, you will hear and see Joni perform like below throughout the concert. This is a different song because Hejira hasn't ever been uploaded to Y/T from this collector's dvd.

In the end, I own and love both dvds, but for those that wonder about the differences, thought this might help. As far as I know, there are no other official dvd's out there of Joni in concert.

**Spoiler Alert: On the Collector dvd during the 1996 show, Joni is surprised and presented with a special award by none other than Graham Nash, one of the lucky ones in the audience. Missy

PS. I was reminded watching this above video that Joni goes barefoot halfway through the show. She is just too cool. :)

Edited by missytootsweet

Thanks for the reviews, they were much appreciated. After hearing "Carey" on XM/Sirius' Deep Tracks channel recently I went in search of a clip of it (see below) and in the process I happened upon "Free Man In Paris" from the Shadows and Light DVD.

• 1 month later...

In this month of September in the year 1980, Joni Mitchell released Shadows and Light. This is a live double album, featuring a backing band of Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Lyle Mays, Michael Brecker and Don Alias. I own this on vinyl and it is a great album, imo one of her best. The CD for some reason edits out parts from the vinyl :o ....so get the vinyl for the full experience. This is also available on DVD, and I posted a mini review of that a couple posts back.

The set list is:

All tracks composed by Joni Mitchell, except where indicated

"Introduction" – 1:51 (Included on LP and CD. Featured in VHS/DVD opening credits)

"In France They Kiss on Main Street" – 4:14

"Edith and the Kingpin" – 4:10

"Coyote" – 4:58

"Good Bye Pork Pie Hat" – 6:02 (Charles Mingus)

"Jaco's Solo" (only on VHS/DVD) (Jaco Pastorius)

"The High and the Mighty"

"Third Stone from the Sun"

"The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines" – 4:37 (Mitchell, Charles Mingus)

"Amelia" – 6:40

"Pat's Solo" – 3:09 (Pat Metheny)

"Hejira" – 7:42

"Black Crow" – 3:52 (omitted from first CD release)

"Don's Solo" – 4:04 (omitted from VHS/DVD and first CD release) (Don Alias)

"Dreamland" – 4:40 (omitted from VHS/DVD)

"Free Man in Paris" – 3:23 (omitted from first CD release)

"Band Introduction" – 0:52

"Furry Sings the Blues" – 5:14

"Raised on Robbery" (only on VHS/DVD)

"Why Do Fools Fall in Love" – 2:53 (Frankie Lymon, Morris Levy)

"Shadows and Light" – 5:23

"God Must be a Boogie Man" – 5:02(omitted from VHS/DVD)

"Woodstock" – 5:08 **

Here's a couple songs from the album (that haven't already been posted to this thread). :)

Edith and the Kingpin

Pat Metheny Solo

**Album/CD/DVD setlist source Wiki.

• 3 weeks later...

From the News section of the Official Joni Mitchell website >>September 10, 2012 Rhino to release box set.<< Here's a copy of the details below.

Rhino will release a Joni Mitchell box set on 29 October 2012.

The Studio Albums 1968-1979 gathers together Joni’s ten albums from that period, including all the classics such as 1971′s Blue and the acclaimed The Hissing Of Summer Lawns from 1975.

Expect the albums to be housed in simple card sleeves and held in a lift-off lid box. The design of the packaging is likely to be very similar to the Madonna Complete Studio Albums box that came from the same label a few months back (that box held 11 discs). Indeed, the graphic design for the top of this Joni box with the ‘grid’ of album covers is not dissimilar to Madonna’s box.

Albums included in this Joni Mitchell box set are listed below:

• Song To A Seagull (1968)

• Clouds (1969)

• Ladies of the Canyon (1970)

• Blue (1971)

• For The Roses (1972)

• Court and Spark (1974)

• The Hissing Of Summer Lawns (1975)

• Hejira (1976)

• Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter (1977)

• Mingus (1979)

However, I can't find any mention of this release on Amazon as a pre-order. Hopefully, this will indeed be put out by Rhino as imo this is her most prolific period with her finest work. A nice way to hear the beautiful range and nuances of Joni's songs....especially for those only familiar with her radio friendly songs. Either way, it gives me a chance to pop up a great video I found on You/Tube of Joni from 1986 performing "Hejira" live...must hear music! :) Missy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thirty-Nine years ago today on January 17th 1974, Joni Mitchell released one of her finest albums; Court and Spark.

Here's the opening song with a very creative slideshow. :)

Court and Spark

"Love came to my door

With a sleeping roll

And a madman's soul

He thought for sure I'd seen him

Dancing up a river in the dark

Looking for a woman

To court and spark

He was playing on the sidewalk

For passing change

When something strange happened

Glory train passed through him

So he buried the coins he made

In People's Park

And went looking for a woman

To court and spark

It seemed like he read my mind

He saw me mistrusting him

And still acting kind

He saw how I worried sometimes

I worry sometimes

"All the guilty people" he said

They've all seen the stain

On their daily bread

On their christian names

I cleared myself

I sacrificed my blues

And you could complete me

I'd complete you

His eyes were the color of the sand

And the sea

And the more he talked to me

The more he reached me

But I couldn't let go of L.A.

City of the fallen angels"

(Joni Mitchell) © 1973; Crazy Crow Music

• 9 months later...

Uncut magazine has a new interview with Joni in its December edition. I've taken a look through it and it is certainly worth buying.

Joni Mitchell has spoken out against the Sixties' culture of free love.

In an interview published in the new issue of Uncut, Mitchell says "Free love? It's a ruse for guys. There's no such thing.

"Look at the rep I got, there was a list of people whose path I crossed... in the Summer Of Love they made me into a love-bandit.

"So much for free love. Nobody knows more than me what a ruse that was. That was for guys coming out of Prohibition. It was hard to get laid before that."

Mitchell - who turns 70 today [November 7] - discusses her extraordinary career in the interview, including her thoughts on contemporaries Bob Dylan, the Woodstock generation, and her landmark 1971 album, Blue.

Joni Mitchell discusses her mercurial career in an exclusive to celebrate her 70th birthday, in the new issue of Uncut (dated December 2013), out now.

The singer-songwriter identifies Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan as her only contemporaries, but also criticises Dylan for not being “musically gifted” and for alleged plagiarism.

“I like a lot of Bob’s songs,” says Mitchell. “Musically he’s not very gifted, he’s borrowed his voice from a lot of old hillbillies. He’s got a lot of borrowed things.”

Addressing her claim that Dylan is a “plagiarist”, Mitchell explains: “It’s not like I outed him. He stole all of his lines out of a Japanese hoodlum’s novel. There was a lawsuit impending, but it got dropped. He told me ‘I haven’t written a song in years.’ I said, ‘What’re you talking about? Who’s writing them, then?’ He came down to craft.”

She claims she's not at all disappointed in Dylan, though, praising him for inventing "a character to deliver his songs… Because you can do things with that character. It’s a mask of sorts… To sustain a gift for a long time is rare."

Mitchell was originally interviewed at length for the Canadian Broadcasting Company, and this will be the first time this incredible, in-depth interview has been published in print.

Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/joni-mitchell/joni-mitchell-i-like-a-lot-of-bob-dylan-s-songs-but-he-s-not-very-musically-gifted-new#5WbuDCDlEJkydJzy.99

Edited by kenog

I've never been able to get into Joni Mitchell. I can't deny her talent or accomplishments but her music leaves me cold. I was sorry to hear that she is battling a chronic illness and hope she is feeling better.

Edited by Disco Duck

• 11 months later...

Tomorrow is Joni Mitchell's birthday and the Hammer Museum is having an early birthday bash for her tonight. Joni will be there and the event is being streamed live so you can watch it if you can't be there.

http://hammer.ucla.edu/programs-events/2014/11/watch-live-love-has-many-faces-an-evening-with-joni-mitchell/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

^ I've read up a bit about it after reading that LM has it. Seems like it's a psychosomatic illness rather than a physical disease, but that idea just makes those who claim to suffer from it to circle the wagons and reject the accepted medical view. I mean, it's a hard sell that you've got fibres growing out of your skin, ones that cannot be detected, or that you've got bugs crawling in your skin.

JM chose to put her career aside to advocate for this cause and those who suffer from it. She was always an iconoclast, and did things her own way. Perhaps this is another manifestation of it.

Update on Joni's health

April 3, 2015

Joni remains under observation in the hospital and is resting comfortably. We are encouraged by her progress and she continues to improve and get stronger each day. We've created a simple web page to aggregate Facebook and Twitter messages so that Joni can see all the well wishes people are sending her way, check it out!

Edited by Patrycja

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...