The Yardbirds

Miar

Better photos are difficult to find. What made you think so? I always caption this one

"Crikey! I've walked into the wrong bar, haven't I"

Oh its not haha. I was watching an Electric Prunes video, this one

.. And the drummer is topless with white pants, and a scarf, with similar hair.. It just made me think of that picture with Jimmy and it looks a lot him kinda

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Isn't that Jimmy Page in the background in the photo below? Interesting factoid about him arranging The Yardbirds songs. I hadn't realized he played such a prominent role with them. I assumed that Keith Relf and Jim McCarty ran that band after Paul Samwell-Smith left.

Btw, the guy on the left looks like Alan Clarke, The Hollies' lead singer, while the guy in the middle looking over his shoulder looks like a very young Graham Nash. How did I do Hollies fans?

...and some I don't recall, except the article perhaps...

Oct. 7, 1966 Go Magazine Scan - Source: Deena Canale Source: https://www.facebook.com/littlegames67?fref=photo My Beck Pages - Yardbirds Fans

jimmyybhollies_zpsc45078b8.jpg

YBMinniapolisstar_zps7d6402b6.jpg

PageMinniappolisstar_zpsddb41da1.jpg

Edited by Disco Duck

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

JP w/ The Monkees 1966 - from Ann Moses:

"I first met Jimmy when he was in the Yardbirds and I was contributing articles to the New Musical Express pop newspaper in England. The Yardbirds were in Hollywood to perform at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on September 7, 1966. After our interview, Jimmy asked me if I could introduce them to the Monkees - the buzz was out on this new pop sensation. So, I made arrangements to take Jimmy out to their set. I adore the photo that was taken that day - My left arm through Jimmy's, Peter has me in a "headlock," and both Micky and Jimmy have their jackets covered in buttons. This was the coolest thing at the time. My button says "Fly High with the Yardbirds." We had such a blast out on the set, and if you look closely, behind us are Jimmy's record companies execs and I think they were as thrilled as Jimmy to be out on the Monkees set! What an amazing life and career he has had. Way to go Jimmy! Rock on!"

post-5-0-36732700-1421072812_thumb.jpg

JP w/ The Monkees 1967

So there was a photograph taken after all!

According to my notes, The Yardbirds met The Monkees on the set for their tv show at Columbia Studios (or Screen Gems Studio 7) in Hollywood sometime between October 24-27 1966. The Yardbirds did not appear on the program, it was a social visit. Around this time (probably the same day) they did record a lip-sync to 'Happenings Ten Years Time Ago' for 'The Milton Berle Show' (tv program) which was to air Nov 11, 1966 but ultimately aired Dec 2, 66. Here is that performance (note Jimmy is wearing the same jacket as he was on the set with The Monkees):

Edited by SteveAJones

• Administrators

JP w/ The Monkees

More info from the source of the photo, music journalist Ann Moses:

"I first met Jimmy when he was in the Yardbirds and I was contributing articles to the New Musical Express pop newspaper in England. The Yardbirds were in Hollywood to perform at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on September 7, 1966. After our interview, Jimmy asked me if I could introduce them to the Monkees - the buzz was out on this new pop sensation. So, I made arrangements to take Jimmy out to their set. I adore the photo that was taken that day - My left arm through Jimmy's, Peter has me in a "headlock," and both Micky and Jimmy have their jackets covered in buttons. This was the coolest thing at the time. My button says "Fly High with the Yardbirds." We had such a blast out on the set, and if you look closely, behind us are Jimmy's record companies execs and I think they were as thrilled as Jimmy to be out on the Monkees set! What an amazing life and career he has had. Way to go Jimmy! Rock on!"

More info from the source of the photo, music journalist Ann Moses:

Ms. Moses has a remarkable memory...that date does check with a Summer at the Civic concert held that day. I've revised my chronology accordingly...the Milton Berle Show is still believed to have been recorded sometime btw 10/24/-26/66. B)

Edited by SteveAJones