Dirigible's Dirty Dozen

Dirigible

These questions are buried in another thread so I hope no one minds if I submit my quiz as a new thread, the dirty dozen.

1. Jimmy Page finally cut his beard on what tour? Extra credit: After which show?

2. At what show did they play the complete unreleased fourth album with the exception of Battle of Evermore and When the Levee Breaks? Hint: they also played Gallows Pole that night.

3. Bonzo frequently changed his spoken countoff for The Ocean such as in Seattle 7-17-73: We done four already but now we're steady and dummy went one two three four. He changed it so much the third night at MSG in '73 that Jonesy missed his entrance (although Page didn't) and they never played the tune again. What did Bonzo say on 7-29-73?

4. What song on LZ4 has an extra bar in one of the verses that none of the other verses have?

5. What was the final concert Zeppelin opened with Train Kept A'Rollin' seguing into I Can't Quit You, Baby?

6. Eddie Kramer claims he cringes when he hears a certain Zep tune on the radio because Page ordered him to cut the master tape with scissors and splice in a segment of music. What LZ2 song is this?

7. What Zeppelin album did Page play a Stratocaster on most of the songs? Hint: there are no keyboards on this disc.

8. On the back of the body of Jonesy's triple necked guitar is a mother of pearl inlay of what?

9. True or false? The reason the band assumed the name Led Zeppelin was because The Yardbirds threatened to sue Page and Grant if they continued using the Yardbirds' name after their Scandinavian contractural obligations were complete. Hint: Page's assessment of "we felt we were operating under false pretenses" is not a factor in the correct answer.

10. Sometime in the 90s a book misprinted Jones' birthdate and now every periodical misprints it as well. What is Jones' true birthdate?

11. Black Dog and Hot Dog are about chicks, not dogs. But what Zeppelin song is?

12. Plant plays harmonica on five studio tracks. Name them, si vous plait.

Please answer as many or as few as you wish. I'll post the answers and sources on the Fourth of July if all questions aren't correctly answered by then.

2. Copenhagen May 3rd 1971.

3. Can't tell exactly what he says. I've listened to it over 100 times and it sounds like he's talking baby language to me.

4. When the Levee Breaks

5. Dallas, August 31st is most likely the last day, but we don't have the first week of shows leading up to the 10-10-69 show

6. Whole Lotta Love

7. I was about to say Zeppelin I but Your Time is Gonna Come blows that one out of the water. Gotta be Zeppelin II or Presence. I'll go with II

9. False

10. Jan 3rd

11. Bron Y-Aur Stomp

12. Nobody's Fault But Mine, You Shook Me, Bring it on Home, When the Levee Breaks, I think the last one is In My Time of Dying

I'm astonished, Nick, that's fantastic. Although not all are correct it appears all the right answers will be in LONG before the Fourth of July. 1, 3, 4, 8, and 12 (that elusive 5th song) are particularly tricky---one needs an eye as well as an ear.

The pearl inlay is his symbol, the guitar was a custom Andy Manson acoustic - it featured a mandolin, and 12 and 6 string guitars... absolutely beautiful custom piece. His symbol is a celtic triquetra, a circle over three interlocking ovals, which represents a person of both confidence and competence.

Aw hell, I'll give 3 up.

We done four already but now we're steady and then they went:

hootchie koo onetwothreefour hootchie koo!

:o .... that introduction is from 7-28!!! not 7-29!... I could've answered it had you said 7-28.

Plant starts off by saying to the audience "its our friend John Henry's big chance at accounting" and Bonham throws the hoochi-coos in there.

lol

The soundboard I have cites 7-29-73!! My head is bowed in sincere shame for the ignominy of having trusted bootleg liner notes.

What does Bonzo say 7-29 then?

Thats the real question! The source I have for 7-29 has an audience source spliced in at the moment of question that is barely audible, which is why I thought it was funny you asked for that particular thing... it sounds like he says "we done four already but now their steady <inaudible> and ends with something with the word "red" in it... then right after that, the soundboard source kicks back in.

I've got the complete Garden Tapes 27th, 28th, and 29th.. but I wouldn't dismiss your claim just yet... my track numbering could be wrong... (slim as the chances are, I just found that one of my other bootleg's track numbering was off this morning actually, lol)

my sources have this

7-28:

Plant: "Dare I say it, good evening!!!... this is uh, another track from Houses of The Holy.. its uh, our friend John Henry's big chance at accounting! yeah far out"

Bonham: "We done four already but now were steady and then they went hoochi-koo one-two-three-four-hoochie koo!"

(All soundboard, no cuts/splices)

7-29:

Plant: "Good eevening!!! Well it hasn't been so bad considering tomorrow night I'll be lie'n in the grass in the middle of nowhere...<aud source splice begins> ... this is one that features a dynamic introduction by John Bonham.. its about you, its called.. The Ocean"

Bonham: "We done four already and now were steady and then they went ewally stir the baby in red!" or something along those lines that is barely audible.<aud source ends, soundboard back up> song starts

Could your 7-29 be spliced with 7-28 in this area??? I think this might be the case...

Poor Tom is not the fifth harmonica track. Is there harp on that? Good song though, Bonzo played second line New Orleans style drums.

thats not a harmonica??? what is that at the 2:20 mark!? im curious now...

maybe your source didnt include CODA as a studio album (lots of people dont)... or that might not be plant playing it./..?

After listening to the catalog, here's the songs I could come up with for the harmonica songs.

Poor Tom

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Custard Pie

Bring it on Home

You Shook Me

Black Country Woman

When the Levee Breaks

Almost all of these have 30+ seconds of harm solos.

in regards to number 9..., how could the yardbirds sue jimmy... i thought he was granted full creative rights of the yardbirds... it would be like he was sueing himself no?

my pre zeppelin days knowledge is very, very limited, so im probablt wrong,. but im drunk and frankly dont care.

its alwayse been popular belief that zeppelin got the name from the who's drummer, but thats too easy to have not been said yet so i doubt thats it either.

wsorry, im under ther influence,

p.s. i love you,

love,

tommy.

in regards to number 9..., how could the yardbirds sue jimmy... i thought he was granted full creative rights of the yardbirds... it would be like he was sueing himself no?

Chris Dreja allegedly filed a cease and desist order to prevent Jimmy from using the name. Views vary on if such an order was ever filed or if it was even necessary.

Setting that particular aspect aside, the evidence suggests Jimmy does NOT own

the name The Yardbirds given they continue to tour without him (for one example).

Chris Dreja is adamant Jimmy does not own the name The Yardbirds.

Archived