Dirigible's Dirty Dozen

Dirigible

The Eddie Kramer answer is Moby Dick. I'm about 70% sure.

I remember an article in Guitar Player magazine where Kramer commented on his work mixing Led Zeppelin II. I think he commented on how the he thought the work he did on Moby Dick in particular wasn't up to his personal standards... I suspect the barbaric cut/splice was the reason he thought this?

Heartbreaker is my second guess.

Nobody likes a smart ass, Nick.

Except me. (I'd put a smiley face here except I'm not a smiley face kind of guy.)

The fun about this question is trying to think how Heartbreaker would sound without that edit, it's pretty cool when you join the two ends in your mind. But not as iconic as Page's idea to drop in the solo on a different guitar, differently tuned. That bugs Kramer as much as the Strawberry Fields edit bugs George Martin.

Congrats, o wise one. Dead chuffed indeed.

Nobody likes a smart ass, Nick.

Except me. (I'd put a smiley face here except I'm not a smiley face kind of guy.)

The fun about this question is trying to think how Heartbreaker would sound without that edit, it's pretty cool when you join the two ends in your mind. But not as iconic as Page's idea to drop in the solo on a different guitar, differently tuned. That bugs Kramer as much as the Strawberry Fields edit bugs George Martin.

Congrats, o wise one. Dead chuffed indeed.

I'm ashamed of myself. :angry:

Sorry, out of dicussion; but where do you get all that facts?

I read several biographies, but you seem to know EVERYTHING!

Thanks, but Nick and Doc proved me wrong a couple times and didn't have much trouble answering almost every question.

To answer yours, LITS, I first saw LZ in August 1969. I saw the band five times and have been a serious collector since 1971, collecting every bootleg, magazine, poster and eventually books. There are over 50 Zeppelin books that I've read, re-read and cross referenced. Zep is not the only band I like, I'm a student of all the late 60s early 70s bands, an overlapping community who played the same venues, stayed at the same hotels and flew the same airlines. I might read about King Crimson discovering a reel to reel under the stage of the Fillmore West that Bill Graham surreptitously taped bands' performances and realize that that's the likely source for the 4-24-69 Zep bootleg. Writer Howard Mylett had a caption under a picture of Page during the '72 Australian tour saying he'd just got rid of his beard. These little facts stuck in my head.

Another thing is I'm a musician, so I understand the language of music, i.e. know what a measure is, how to count, etc. I've played Zep music for 30 years in various bands. We would learn the bootleg versions.

What biographies have you read? The best books in my collection are Led Zeppelin Live by Luis Rey (3rd edition) and LZ: The Concert File by Dave Lewis & Simon Pallett (1st ed.) and Howard Mylett's Led Zeppelin (2nd ed.) Those books are indispensible.

Sorry, out of dicussion; but where do you get all that facts?

I read several biographies, but you seem to know EVERYTHING!

Thankya :wave:

The internet and I read everything I can on Zeppelin and I've listened to about an unknown number of Zeppelin bootlegs. I lost count a long time ago.

Thanks, but Nick and Doc proved me wrong a couple times and didn't have much trouble answering almost every question.

To answer yours, LITS, I first saw LZ in August 1969. I saw the band five times and have been a serious collector since 1971, collecting every bootleg, magazine, poster and eventually books. There are over 50 Zeppelin books that I've read, re-read and cross referenced. Zep is not the only band I like, I'm a student of all the late 60s early 70s bands, an overlapping community who played the same venues, stayed at the same hotels and flew the same airlines. I might read about King Crimson discovering a reel to reel under the stage of the Fillmore West that Bill Graham surreptitously taped bands' performances and realize that that's the likely source for the 4-24-69 Zep bootleg. Writer Howard Mylett had a caption under a picture of Page during the '72 Australian tour saying he'd just got rid of his beard. These little facts stuck in my head.

Another thing is I'm a musician, so I understand the language of music, i.e. know what a measure is, how to count, etc. I've played Zep music for 30 years in various bands. We would learn the bootleg versions.

What biographies have you read? The best books in my collection are Led Zeppelin Live by Luis Rey (3rd edition) and LZ: The Concert File by Dave Lewis & Simon Pallett (1st ed.) and Howard Mylett's Led Zeppelin (2nd ed.) Those books are indispensible.

Thank you for the answer! B) I'm 15 and addicted for one and a half years, so I have still time to get an zepexpert. I read several magazine articles, German books, internet articles and so one (I confess, I'm an owner of Hammer of the gods... :P ). But this page is my main source of information, so thank all of you to share your unbelievable knowledge! :thanku:

Thank you for the answer! B) I'm 15 and addicted for one and a half years, so I have still time to get an zepexpert. I read several magazine articles, German books, internet articles and so one (I confess, I'm an owner of Hammer of the gods... :P ). But this page is my main source of information, so thank all of you to share your unbelievable knowledge! :thanku:

Be careful what you read, especially from non-credible internet sources... alot of Zeppelin stories get bent way out of proportion or taken out of context and alot is "here-say".

For example, I could think of 10 different theories on the meaning of Jimmy Page's symbol - and none of them are necessarily true, and none of them can be proven as Jimmy has never said anything regarding the subject.

Remember "he who does not know, does not claim to know!"

Just a friendly little Zeppelin info-gathering tip!

Have a good one - Happy Zeppelining

I could of answered a lot of these. All you need is bootlegs and in depth knowledge of zep. :mellow:

Looks like NickZepp has a new challenger!

No one said they were particularly hard... I guess our claim to fame is the speed with which we gathered the info and ability to dig up facts to back our answers.

Anyways I hope theres another quiz in the making... with a few more questions (25-50)!

Page shaved his beard after 2-20-72 show in Melborne, Australia. He had it for nearly 2 years from what I can tell. So the answer is the Australian tour, exact show is Melborne, Australia

Actually, Dave Lewis (in The Concert File) says Page shaved his beard sometime between the 2-25 and 2-27-72 shows. He sported the clean-shaven look on the 2-27 show in Sydney.

Actually, Dave Lewis (in The Concert File) says Page shaved his beard sometime between the 2-25 and 2-27-72 shows. He sported the clean-shaven look on the 2-27 show in Sydney.

Dave Lewis is a good Zep historian but he's got his facts skewed on this one. Look at the Australian photos on this site you will find Nick is correct.

1. Jimmy Page finally cut his beard on what tour? Extra credit: After which show?

2. At what show did they play the complete unreleased fourth album with the exception of Battle of Evermore and When the Levee Breaks? Hint: they also played Gallows Pole that night.

3. Bonzo frequently changed his spoken countoff for The Ocean such as in Seattle 7-17-73: We done four already but now we're steady and dummy went one two three four. He changed it so much the third night at MSG in '73 that Jonesy missed his entrance (although Page didn't) and they never played the tune again. What did Bonzo say on 7-29-73?

4. What song on LZ4 has an extra bar in one of the verses that none of the other verses have?

5. What was the final concert Zeppelin opened with Train Kept A'Rollin' seguing into I Can't Quit You, Baby?

6. Eddie Kramer claims he cringes when he hears a certain Zep tune on the radio because Page ordered him to cut the master tape with scissors and splice in a segment of music. What LZ2 song is this?

7. What Zeppelin album did Page play a Stratocaster on most of the songs? Hint: there are no keyboards on this disc.

8. On the back of the body of Jonesy's triple necked guitar is a mother of pearl inlay of what?

9. True or false? The reason the band assumed the name Led Zeppelin was because The Yardbirds threatened to sue Page and Grant if they continued using the Yardbirds' name after their Scandinavian contractural obligations were complete. Hint: Page's assessment of "we felt we were operating under false pretenses" is not a factor in the correct answer.

10. Sometime in the 90s a book misprinted Jones' birthdate and now every periodical misprints it as well. What is Jones' true birthdate?

11. Black Dog and Hot Dog are about chicks, not dogs. But what Zeppelin song is?

12. Plant plays harmonica on five studio tracks. Name them, si vous plait.

1. The Australian 1972 tour after Melbourne.

2. May 3rd, 1971 in Copenhagen

3. Apparently he counted it off like the record on July 29, Docron discovered Bonzo saying his infamous "hootchie koo one two three four hootchie koo" countoff was 'patched in' from the 28th to make a complete bootleg.

4. Misty Mountain Hop

5. August 31, 1969

6. The solo guitar was inserted in the middle of Heartbreaker.

7. Presence

8. Jones' rune

9. Greg Russo, author of The Yardbirds-The Ultimate Rave-Up, claims this is true. Steven A. Jones says false. No matter what YOUR answer was: it was right.

10. January 3, 1946 (NOT Jan. 31st)

11. Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp (you're the finest dog I knew, so fine . . .)

12. My answer: You Shook Me, Bring It On Home, When The Levee Breaks, Custard Pie and Nobody's Fault But Mine. NickZepp and Docron went to the head of the class when they discovered not one but two more: Black Country Woman and Poor Tom.

Thanks to everyone who played.

I collaborated with Greg on the Jimmy Page Concert Chronology published in his book.

Insofar as the filing of a cease and desist order, Greg believes it to be true because

Chris (Dreja) told him he filed one. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm saying it's arguable

if it actually compelled Jimmy to change the name as is claimed.

I am of the opinion Jimmy already knew the Page/Plant/Bonham/Jones lineup (and his vision for their musical direction) had little in common with the style or sound of the Yardbirds and as such he almost certainly had no intentions on retaining the name anyway, as evidenced by his 10/18/68 meeting with graphic artist George Hardie to discuss the use of the iconic Hindenburg disaster image as the first album cover. In

my view, the filing of a cease and desist order was merely a legal formality at the end of The New Yardbirds Scandanavian Tour (Sept '68) and not an act of necessity.

I recently contacted Greg and pressed this issue for the sake of historical accuracy. Unfortunately, none of the principle parties involved elected to take the opportunity

to discuss it further at this time as a 4th edition of the book is about to go to press.

By the way, about my name, it's just Steve.

Steve, forgive the misspelling, and thanks for your participation. I'm convinced question #9 is the quintessential he said/(s)he said. (EDIT: I mean Dreja and Page not you and me.) It really doesn't have anything to do with their music, a bad question to begin with.

As far as working under The Yardbirds name I just double-checked and they only used the name three times after their inaugural Scandinavian tour. I thought it was used six or eight times in England, bringing solicitors out of the woodwork. It is fair to speculate those three UK shows were advertised well in advance of the performance dates of October 15th through 19th, 1968. The remaining Yardies conceivably had time to sick their attorneys on Pagey prior to the 18th when Hardie met with Jimmy.

But in my heart of hearts all that is is speculation, and probably not accurate speculation either. All logic points to the band had to realize after being together two months that what they were doing was NOT The Yardbirds.

Archived