Jimmy Page jams with Jaco Pastorius in 1985

ro_a

and he's playing blues in the style of Led Zeppelin, not the Firm. The search terms are Jimmy Page & Jaco Pastorius, the location is youtube and is audio only.

I saw Jaco at Daddy's Junky Music on Mass ave in Boston about a month before he died. He signed a bass with utmost difficulty and required help from his handlers. For those of you who don't know who he is a jazz bass player who I think played with Weather Report.

Check out Tony Franklin's MySpace site. One of his blogs contains some excellent recollections of the Page/Pastorius jam (Tony was in attendance with Chris Slade, I think).

The jam itself is very loose, but Jaco coaxed some good stuff out of Jimmy.

That was really interesting to hear (all 3 parts!) - thanks very much.

I understand that by the mid-80's Jaco was being shunned by almost everyone in the music business, having burned a lot of bridges. So I imagine it meant a lot to him to have an artist of Jimmy's calibre come seek him out & praise his playing.

• 4 years later...

Jimmy showed up to jam after The Firm's Madison Square Garden concert had completed

so the jam must have went down just past midnight/early morning hours.

Tony Franklin has since clarified this jam occured April 30th (their night off following the MSG gig on April 29th).

• 2 weeks later...

It was good to hear that jimmy page and jaco pastorius tape again, haven't listened to that in awhile. Ya can hear the room sound/jazz blues club, on the tape. I think this jam, ^above, is the highlight of the tape for jimmy page, on the other songs the rest of the band and jaco pastorius are soloing much more, if i'm not mistaken.

Archived