Baby come on home

Baby come on home was a leftover song from the first album and made it onto the second box set. I was wondering what everyone else thought of this song? I happen to like it, even though it has very little guitar and mostly features JPJ. It fits the whole blues theme of the first album but was maybe left off because albums had to come in around 45 minutes.

It is a gem along with "Long Black Wavey Hair"

Of course, The Girl I Love was not a Zep I outtake. It was recorded in a BBC session before the second album came out.

As for Baby Come On Home (known in its earliest bootleg form as Tribute To Bert Berns), it's a fantastic and powerful song. But they were right to keep it off the first album - it was more Chicago blues, while the rest of the album was centered more around Delta blues. Glad it did see proper release 25 years later, though, on Box Set II.

Had they released it in 1969, Zep would have been criticized for ripping off Vanilla Fudge.

Nonetheless, it's an absolute masterpiece. Arguably more sophisticated than anything else they recorded for the first album.

I always knew this existed but have never heard it. Being what I think of as an excessive fan of the group from 68-72, I feel like I've commited some sort of dis-service by not ever hearing it. This is literally the only, and I mean only known Zeppelin tune I have yet to hear.

My quest, as such, will be one of un-rest until these notes have graced my ears.

Thank you for reminding me that gems like this still exist.

I always knew this existed but have never heard it. Being what I think of as an excessive fan of the group from 68-72, I feel like I've commited some sort of dis-service by not ever hearing it. This is literally the only, and I mean only known Zeppelin tune I have yet to hear.

My quest, as such, will be one of un-rest until these notes have graced my ears.

Thank you for reminding me that gems like this still exist.

Enjoy and thank me later ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNKAh-8P8A

Yeah i love that song aswell, it's one of the few where JPJ has a chance to show off his skills properly, it's a shame that it was left off the first album it would have fitted perfectly.

I love that song, too. It's a fantastic and powerful song.

I read, many years ago, that Jimmy Page intended the debut LP to be LOUD!. The way he achieved this was to restrict the running time, which allowed the groves of the record to be cut wider: this gave a "louder" record than was usual for the day. The closer cut the groves, the less dynamic range available. This may well account for Baby Come On Home being left out at the time.

RB

But they were right to keep it off the first album - it was more Chicago blues, while the rest of the album was centered more around Delta blues.

I thought the first album had a lot of Chicago blues on it (I Can't Quit You Baby, You Shook Me, and bits from How Many More Times).

I think Baby Come Home would have competed with Your Time Is Gonna Come for a similar type of sound.

And I think Plant might have said (I'm not 100% sure) that he thought the song sounded too much like Tom Jones (not that would be bad, but it ain't Zep).

Baby Come On Home was writtten by Burt Burns, Page and Plant. This song first showed up on old master reels Marked "Yardbirds, October 10, 1968. The name Led Zeppelin was still under consideration. The Master tape went missing for a long time and it turned up in a trash can outside of Olympic Studios in London in 1991, Crazy huh!!! :huh: It was originally called Tribute to Bert Burns who wrote Twist and Shout, Hang On Sloopy, he also did some producing for Van Morrison. Apparently (by what Dave Lewis says) "this was Roberts idea carried over from The Band Of Joy." A quote also by Dave Lewis " It's not hard to see why it didn't fit into the more energetic feel of the rest of the first album."

Lanni

Apparently (by what Dave Lewis says) "this was Roberts idea carried over from The Band Of Joy."

It may have been Robert's idea to do the song, but Jimmy was the one who had a personal relationship with Bert Berns (playing on several of his sessions and having business meetings with him in the Immediate Records days).

Archived