Stop calling it the "O2" show!

I think we should stop refering to Led Zeppelin's historic reunion show as the "O2 show". After all it was originally billed as the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute. Why attach our favorite band's name to the sponsor (Telefónica O2 Europe plc) of a sports/entertainment center? Let them pay for their own promotion. Remember folks, it's up to us, the Led Zeppelin fan base, to decide what it's called. We could call it the "Ahmet Ertegun Tribute" but that's a bit of a mouthful. We might refer to it as the "reunion show" though that makes it sound like a one time thing and I'm still holding out hope! Any suggestions?

It's very common to refer to concerts by their venues. Woodstock, Monterey, Isle of WIght, etc. And for Led Zeppelin: Royal Albert Hall, Madison Square Garden, Earls Court, Knebworth, etc.

Plus, "O2" is a lot faster to write than "Ahmet Ertegün Tribute"! B)

Good point, but those venues have actual names, O2 is the name a sponsor bought for advertising purposes. I just hate using Led Zeppelin to promote anything other than Led Zeppelin (Cadillac not withstanding!)

I think we should stop refering to Led Zeppelin's historic reunion show as the "O2 show". After all it was originally billed as the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute. Why attach our favorite band's name to the sponsor (Telefónica O2 Europe plc) of a sports/entertainment center? Let them pay for their own promotion. Remember folks, it's up to us, the Led Zeppelin fan base, to decide what it's called. We could call it the "Ahmet Ertegun Tribute" but that's a bit of a mouthful. We might refer to it as the "reunion show" though that makes it sound like a one time thing and I'm still holding out hope! Any suggestions?

I would've thought the venue was "donated" as part of the Ahmet tribute?

make me...o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2,o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2,o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2,o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2, o2... :P

I always refer to it as "The 02 Show". It's just easier to say, like someone else pointed out. Most people (hopefully all) are aware it was a concert for Ahmet Ertegun.

Good point, but those venues have actual names, O2 is the name a sponsor bought for advertising purposes. I just hate using Led Zeppelin to promote anything other than Led Zeppelin (Cadillac not withstanding!)

but its actually called "The O2 Arena" we cant say the millenium dome concert can we?

I'm very pleased to say I have been to the O2 concert. B)

Besides, O2 means nothing here (there are no big companies here in Brazil with that name), so why should I care?

*edited because of spelling mistakes.

Since I didn't get tix, I think I'll call it the "The Lottery Show". Maybe "The 15,000 seats up for grabs my ass show". Or "The Harvey and friends show". Uncanny how all those stars won the lottery. Goldsmith is a c**t and he ended up doing exactly what he supposedly set out NOT to do. Catered to the "touts".

Before anyone asks...........fkn right I'm bitter!

Besides the reunion show, O2 reminds me of Oxygen. I don't think of it in terms of sponsorship.

Breathe in the Led Zeppelin! :P

I like that too...I'm stickin with the O2, a breath of fresh air!

Hi All,

I come from Greenwich but have never been to what we locals call " The Greenwich Dome".

You can call it what ever you like but it was first known as "The Dome" before it got the name of the O2, so lets stick to calling it what the locals call it, aye?

Regards, Danny

Hi All,

I come from Greenwich but have never been to what we locals call " The Greenwich Dome".

You can call it what ever you like but it was first known as "The Dome" before it got the name of the O2, so lets stick to calling it what the locals call it, aye?

Regards, Danny

Stick with? I'm going to 'stick with' what's printed on my CD and DVD - O2 :)

This is a silly thread!! How bored are we waiting for news?! :lol:

Hi All,

Regards, Danny

That's just the kind of thing I'm talking (whining?) about. I live near Candlestick Park and in this era of corporate logo-ization it's been renamed 3COM Park then Monster (Cable) Park but everybody 'round these parts still calls it "The Stick". I think people have gotten so used to seeing advertisments and corporate branding on everything from shoes to stadiums to the butt of your sweat pants that it just doesn't matter to them. It still bugs me.

"O2 show"

na na na na nah!!!

"O2 show"

na na na na nah!!!

"O2 show"

na na na na nah!!!

"O2 show"

na na na na nah!!!

"O2 show"

na na na na nah!!!

"O2 show"

na na na na nah!!!

Hey wait a second, you are my older brother, right?

Until you can find a phrase that is synonymous with the show that is shorter to type than O2...... B)

Corporate naming rights are here to stay, at least until Joe public starts to foot the bill of the construction of these gigantic venues 100%. (can you say never?)

Besides the reunion show, O2 reminds me of Oxygen. I don't think of it in terms of sponsorship.

Breathe in the Led Zeppelin! :P

I'm pretty sure quite a few people were breathing in more than just oxygen that night ... :D

My brother almost caught me, he would have given me a knuggie for sure, BUT I Escaped!

So...

"O2 Show, O2 Show, O2 Show+Infinity!!! Na Na Na Na Nah!!!"

_____

There must be better things to do on June 26th?

Archived