Are cracks beginning to show

While I was there (At U Tube) I checked out some of the concert video cuts from their shows. Wow, thats some exciting stuff..................... :huh:

I am so glad that I got away from my computer for a couple of days so I could experience the surroundsound of a live performance! Way better than youtube.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farce

A farce is a comedy written for the stage or film which aims to entertain the audience by means of unlikely, extravagant, and improbable situations, disguise and mistaken identity, verbal humour of varying degrees of sophistication, which may include sexual innuendo and word play.

I didn't ask for the definition of "farce", I asked how this tour had become one.

This really grasping a straws. The one thing that I took away from the live experience more than anything else was what a damn ball everybody on stage was having.

I'm no Plant apologist either. I think he should turn his face back to LZ for a while after the tour finishes. But, I'll look forward to the DVD of the tour they're recording later in the summer and any further recordings / tours they do in the future.

The song doesn't remain the same

When Plant, Krauss teamed up, they created a sound that became 'its own genre'

By George Varga

UNION-TRIBUNE POP MUSIC CRITIC

June 26, 2008

For the record, Robert Plant and Alison Krauss are not romantically involved.

But the legendary former Led Zeppelin singer and the heavenly voiced bluegrass queen are happily engaged in a musical affair of the heart that began with their chart-toping Grammy Award-winning 2007 album, “Raising Sand,” and is continuing nightly on their first concert tour together. The results have the two, who perform a sold-out show here Monday at Humphrey's Concerts by the Bay, swooning with barely contained joy.

“It's a great experience; I'll take it with me forever,” Krauss, 36, said during an April interview from her Nashville home.

Plant, 58, voiced similar sentiments this month in a joint interview with Krauss and their producer and musical director, T-Bone Burnett, 60.

“What a delight it is to sit next to this woman,” Plant said, prompting her to giggle.

“Not only does she have ... this beautiful, sonorous voice that creates its own resonance, but she hit a note recently (during one of our concerts) that created a frequency where the whole room just resonated. It was spectacular.”

A laughing Krauss tried to deflect Plant's praise.

“I couldn't find it again,” she joked about that frequency-shifting note. “We have to go back to that room!

The song in question is “Trampled Rose” by Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan, one of many highlights on “Raising Sand.” The transcendent note Krauss hit in concert also made an impression on Burnett, who selected the musicians and vintage recording gear featured on the album, along with some of the songs, and plays rhythm guitar on it.

“That (note) was in B-minor,” Burnett recalled, a touch of awe still audible in his voice.

“Yeah, said Plant. “The room was in B-minor and that Tom Waits song was brought to the party. I had no idea how intense it would be and how it would manifest itself with us three.”

This heady sense of artistic discovery is precisely what makes this unlikely collaboration such a pleasure for performer and listener alike.

A delight from start to finish, the 13-song “Raising Sand” exudes rustic charm and an almost otherworldly ambience, yet the music sounds fresh and vital at the same time. With its heady blend of blues, backwoods country, rockabilly, Celtic-tinged folk and vintage New Orleans R&B, the album defines and transcends American roots music.

“There's a lot of blue in whatever this music is,” Plant said. “And even though Alison comes from bluegrass roots, what has been created between the three of us has (become) its own genre, really.”

Apart from a new version of “Please Read the Letter,” which he wrote with former Led Zeppelin partner Jimmy Page for their 1998 album, “Walking Into Clarksdale,” the rest of “Raising Sand” finds Plant and Krauss reinventing songs by a wide array of artists. These range from the Everly Brothers' “Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)” and Allen Toussaint's “Fortune Teller” to Doc and Rosa Lee Watson's “Your Long Journey” and two gems by former Byrds' member Gene Clark.

“We went in to do four songs in a week,” Burnett recalled by phone from Nashville. “I think we got four done the first day.”

A veteran solo artist himself, Burnett has produced standout albums by everyone from Elvis Costello and Cassandra Wilson to San Diego's A.J. Croce and the late Roy Orbison. He regards working with Plant and the violin-playing Krauss as a career highlight.

“I'd like to work with Robert for the rest of my life, and Alison, too,” said Burnett, who has produced upcoming albums by Costello, B.B. King and John Mellencamp. He first worked with Krauss in 2000, when he produced the multiple-Grammy-winning “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” film soundtrack album.

“The two things 'Raising Sand' and 'O Brother' have in common is they both feature some extraordinary musicians, playing really good songs with some of the best singers in the world,” he continued. “The recklessness of bluegrass and rock 'n' roll certainly brings Alison and Robert together.”

Plant and Krauss will return to their own bands after this tour – she leads Union Station and he heads The Strange Sensation. But both expressed enthusiasm about collaborating more in the future.

“I'm in no hurry to go anywhere. This is a font of knowledge and I'll stay as close as I can,” Plant said. “Alison and I are telepathically looped when we work on vocal intensity. That was something I didn't know we could do, or that it even existed.”

Their partnership dates back to 2004 when the two teamed up in Cleveland at a tribute concert sponsored by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. But the three songs they performed by folk-blues pioneer Leadbelly – “Black Girl,” “Poor Howard” and “Green Corn” – sounded tentative.

“That Leadbelly stuff wasn't in the right range for us,” Krauss said. “But I knew it would be a very interesting thing to get into – me with King Kong!”

The two later reconvened. When they hit a snag, Krauss suggested bringing in Burnett to help their artistic vision reach fruition. The three immediately hit it off, musically and personally.

“It was great,” she said. “As we were sitting – Robert, T-Bone and myself – in my kitchen, working on this thing, I was like: 'Wow! I can talk about this song, or this person, or this solo, as much as I want, and nobody's rolling their eyes.' ”

Krauss chuckled when asked if she ever teases Plant, on or off stage, by singing a Zeppelin-styled refrain of Ooohh, baby, baby, baby!

“No, he does that himself,” she said, laughing. “He's a very funny person.”

Plant reunited with Led Zeppelin's two other surviving members, Page and John Paul Jones, last December for a sold-out concert in London, which drew more than 20 million e-mail requests to buy tickets.

Speculation was high that a full-fledged tour would follow. But Plant made it clear his already-planned summer concert trek with Krauss was his priority. This led some disgruntled fans to liken Plant's new musical partner to the famously divisive wife of a former Beatle.

“It's not true,” Krauss said. “I'm not Yoko Ono!”

Plant agreed.

“You know, singing in this revue is ... the most challenging thing I can remember,” he said. “I'm learning so much about American music from Alison, T-Bone and the whole band.

“My whole deal about singing is that I don't go into remote-control to satisfy my ego. ... Sometimes (on this tour), I'm pinching myself: 'Am I really in the middle of this?' It's such a great cacophony – I couldn't wish for anything better.”

Like it or not, this tour and project has exceeded all expectations. It's creating a huge buzz in the US as the tour progresses. The audiences are getting larger; the reviewers are creaming their pants, and the sales are increasing. Additional dates are more than likely going to be added into the fall, a live DVD will be released and the album is expected to clean-up at the Grammys in 2009 and the follow-up won't be far behind.

I think a tour of stadiums with Zeppelin is a long shot now more than ever.

The song doesn't remain the same

When Plant, Krauss teamed up, they created a sound that became 'its own genre'

By George Varga

UNION-TRIBUNE POP MUSIC CRITIC

June 26, 2008

snippage of fluff

I'm looking forward to seeing RPAK this Saturday. Partly I'm looking forward to making up my own fucking mind. Devoted Plant fans have made it clear they are incapable of critical thought when it comes to him, and the media are all pretty much writing the same "Plant walks on water with the Soggy Bottom Gang" marketing piece story over and over.

I stopped trusting the media a long time ago, especially the music press. Gosh, anyone remember the 70s, when a band called Led Zeppelin became the biggest rock band in the world while simultaneously telling the music media to blow it out their collective asses?

I do. It constitutes my definition of artistic integrity to this day.

You know who'd be an interesting choice? James Hunter. I heard a live concert of his on NPR's World Cafe last week and was very impressed. He's from Colchester of all places, but you'd swear by his voice that he's some great undiscovered American soulman.

From the mighty hands of Atlas

This farce is coming to an end NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only farce that is going on are your posts...okay we get it, you don't like the RPAK

tandem. Anyway, don't you have a lunch to go to with Percy?

As for the thought that there are cracks showing in the pairing...that is just wishful

thinking on some of you "haters" part.

For one thing, keep in mine that that review was from fairly early in the tour...now

that it has been a couple of months, you can see them more at ease with each other.

I went to both nights at the Greek...saw nothing but smiles and winks and nudges and

laughter all around. Alison likes to sing with her hands behind her back when she's not

playing her fiddle, that's all.

And lastly, I would advise all of you to read the fun and informative interview with Robert Plant

& Alison Krauss in the June 2008 issue of Record Collector magazine...he makes it pretty

clear that a big stadium tour with Zeppelin is not what he wants to do now.

It's hard for me to understand why people seem to want to live so much in the past that they fail to embrace the here and now with a sense of joy. This week's shows so far as I have experienced proved to be nothing less than a pure delight. Is it really so hard to think outside of the Led Zeppelin box? Just for fun, of course.

And he did earn some Led Zeppelin credit by delivering Black Dog, Black Country Woman, and Battle of Evermore quite capably.

watch one of the shows

I plan on it. I have tix to see them when they play Raleigh, NC on July 11th and I'm looking very forward to it. I've seen bits of Crossroads on CMT, some YouTube clips, some stuff from Later with Jools Holland and named Raising Sand my favorite record of 2007. None of what I've seen or heard even comes close to your definition of "farce". Force maybe but definitely not farce.

I plan on it. I have tix to see them when they play Raleigh, NC on July 11th and I'm looking very forward to it. I've seen bits of Crossroads on CMT, some YouTube clips, some stuff from Later with Jools Holland and named Raising Sand my favorite record of 2007. None of what I've seen or heard even comes close to your definition of "farce". Force maybe but definitely not farce.

It is what it is:

Robert Plant is Robert Plant

Alison Krauss is a country Folk Singer

Plant sings back up from time to time with two other preachers.

T-Bone is the reincarnation of Hunts Hall

Or Rick Nielsen the guitar player from Cheap Trick

I saw them at MSG my seats were so so and I had a long day at work

So maybe my mood (in the mood) was not the best.

But after the first encore I asked my wife if it was sacrilegious to leave

and she said, "last one to the door is a rotten egg"

It is what it is:

Country folk singer/muse; I tried to tell people that New York audiences are known for being hard to please, and some did not believe me.

Since 1934, the Apollo Theater has been a place for amateur talent to prove themselves in front of a tough crowd. Every Wednesday night in Harlem, the public determines the fate of these aspiring performers. If you can survive Amateur Night and the Apollo Audience, you can survive show business... Those who succeed move on to join the ranks of artists like Ella Fitzgerald, James Brown, and Stevie Wonder. Those who fail face humiliation from a jeering audience. If a determined contestant refuses to leave the stage, a siren wails and the Apollo's Executioner taps them off-stage to cheers and exploding laughter from the crowd.

-Jennifer Warren

www.takegreatpictures.com

It is what it is:

"Two other preachers"? You lost me there. I'd also say there is far more to Alison than just a "country folk singer". I'd add fiddle virtuoso for starters.

I fail to see any sort of accurate comparison between either of these two and T Bone. I consider T Bone not only one of the finest players around but also one of the very best producers working today. Because of his past work and his recent work on Raising Sand he's got tons of people wanting to work with him, most recently pedal steel whiz Robert Randolph.

Did you go two go in expecting some sort of reincarnation of Led Zeppelin? Or hadn't you heard Raising Sand or seen any of Plant/Krauss' various television appearances? I'd say all of those things would provide a very accurate representation of what to expect from their live show. What exactly were you expecting to see?

you can go all the way back to dylan's rolling thunder revue to see that t-bone has always been a force to reckon with in any band he has been a part of...

you can go all the way back to dylan's rolling thunder revue to see that t-bone has always been a force to reckon with in any band he has been a part of...

I get the impression this person is totally clueless as to who T Bone Burnett is. Same for what was to be expected at the Plant/Krauss concert.

I get the impression this person is totally clueless as to who T Bone Burnett is. Same for what was to be expected at the Plant/Krauss concert.

I'm a die hard Zep and Plant fan.

Saw Zep at MSG - June 77 - Shows 1-5

10 plus times seeing Plant over the years

Throw in Page 3 times

Plant / Page twice in 1998....

If Plant was not touring with T Bone Burnett and Krauss you would not be posting or thinking of either of them currently.

Archived