Are cracks beginning to show

I'm a die hard Zep and Plant fan.

Saw Zep at MSG - June 77 - Shows 1-5

10 plus times seeing Plant over the years

Throw in Page 3 times

Plant / Page twice in 1998....

All of which is beside the point since the discussion is about Plant and Krauss, not Zeppelin, Plant solo or Page and Plant.

If Plant was not touring with T Bone Burnett and Krauss you would not be posting or thinking of either of them currently.

What does that have to do with anything? Plus, how would you know what I would or would not be posting about? Not to even mention that statement has nothing whatsoever to do with the discussion. From your posts I gather you were disappointed by the Plant/Krauss concert because you were expecting something other than what you had heard on the record or seen during any of their various television appearances.

Saw Zep at MSG - June 77 - Shows 1-5

10 plus times seeing Plant over the years

Throw in Page 3 times

Plant / Page twice in 1998....

If Plant was not touring with T Bone Burnett and Krauss you would not be posting or thinking of either of them currently.

what-we gotta get the stubs out now? jesus....

i have several dylan boots with t-bone on them, i own 'o brother where art thou?' as well as the dvd and soundtrack to both 'i walk the line' and 'the big lewbowski', not to mention he has produced several cd's in my collection: elvis costello, ralph stanley, tony bennett, and roy orbison. i think he even wrote some of the songs on 'cold mountain', which i don't own but did see.

i'm glad you love zep-it shows you have good taste in music. use the lessons learned from all that money you spent on concerts and open your mind (and ears) a little. you may have already heard someone and didn't even know it was them.

(no, not rick neilsen)

I'm a die hard Zep and Plant fan.

uh...so are we.

If it's "all good" why did you post in this thread complaining about the Plant/Krauss concert you attended?

Well Dad,

Just posted my opinion on the P/K show I saw.

Not here to badger P or K.

As reply's to my posts were read obviously we all see it different

which is OK.

Not trying to cause the P/K Fan Club to lose there water.

Well Dad,

Just posted my opinion on the P/K show I saw.

Not here to badger P or K.

As reply's to my posts were read obviously we all see it different

which is OK.

Not trying to cause the P/K Fan Club to lose there water.

"Dad"? I was curious as to exactly what you were expecting at the Plant/Krauss show, a question you haven't answered. So, why were you so disappointed? From what I've seen and heard their live show doesn't differ drastically from the record or their performance on programs such as CMT's Crossroads.

Country folk singer/muse; I tried to tell people that New York audiences are known for being hard to please, and some did not believe me.

Are you a New Yorker? Do you attend shows here all the time? I am certain the answer is no so I don't understand why you keep on this point of New York audiences are hard to please when it's a generalization and completely inaccurate. I've seen shows in LA where the audience wasn't exactly supportive but I wouldn't say that LA audiences are hard to please as a result of a couple of experiences :rolleyes: The audience at BOTH RP/AK shows were very enthusiastic about the concert. I'm sure there were people that didn't like it but overall they got a very great response from the crowds.

Not true for me. I've known about both T Bone Burnett and Alison Krauss long before this project was even discussed. Not every Zep fan just listens to straight rock.

"Two other preachers"? You lost me there. I'd also say there is far more to Alison than just a "country folk singer". I'd add fiddle virtuoso for starters.

I fail to see any sort of accurate comparison between either of these two and T Bone. I consider T Bone not only one of the finest players around but also one of the very best producers working today. Because of his past work and his recent work on Raising Sand he's got tons of people wanting to work with him, most recently pedal steel whiz Robert Randolph.

Did you go two go in expecting some sort of reincarnation of Led Zeppelin? Or hadn't you heard Raising Sand or seen any of Plant/Krauss' various television appearances? I'd say all of those things would provide a very accurate representation of what to expect from their live show. What exactly were you expecting to see?

having seen them at the bergen concert i made the same observation that night to the spouse... their interaction was minimal and appeared contrived when it happened at all as they hardly even looked at each other...

but i think the main issue i had with the night was alison's lack of stage presence...she was what i could best describe as a "wet noodle"... she was listless, barely moved...really seemed like she did not want to be there... maybe she was having an "off" night, i don't know...but i really got the feeling that while yes she has some talent...it was not enough to be a "lead" act...more of a back-up singer/player really...her voice lacked a range of expression and variety...merely an on/off switch...i think hearing him sing with jewel would be an interesting prospect as i read she had gone country...

...i have quite a few of the songs posted on youtube...if you can show me where it looks like she is having a good time, please point it out to me!!!

I think a 2nd album of plant,krauss,t bone would be interesting. But i think that krauss singing with plant/strange sensation would be more interesting, krauss singing with -led zep even more interesting. Who knows, w/jpj playing bluegrass on his -thunderthief album, it could be something they all would be very intrigued with these days. Not to mention, gallows pole was a main promotional song off the -unledded album.

Which was?

Just saw Robert Plant and Alison Krauss at MSG - 6/11/2008

Well Robert Plant and Alison Krauss was different.

A little Zep, very little

Plant looked strong and voice solid

Alison Krauss nice voice

T-Bone Burnett a cross between Hunts Hall

And the guitar player in Cheap Trick.

It was more carnival atmosphere and country music in my opinion.

If your a die hard Alison Krauss fan you will love it.

If your a die hard Robert Plant fan you will wonder how much longer he will keep doing this

And why........................

And get back to the Mighty Rearrange group or just tour one more time with Jimmy.

i think hearing him sing with jewel would be an interesting prospect as i read she had gone country...

Plant and Jewel? I hope the fuck not. She was recently on an interview show where she explained she hasn't as much "gone country" as found a format fitting for her type of music. Back in the 90s when she was new, the most wide open, accepting format was Modern Rock radio which played everything from Metal to Folk music similar to Jewel's such as the Indigo Girls, Natalie Merchant and other "Lilith Fair" type artists. These days the format that embraces her most is Country radio. Having heard a song or two during the course of the interview I can say her music isn't that much different than what she was doing in the 90s.

Just saw Robert Plant and Alison Krauss at MSG - 6/11/2008

Well Robert Plant and Alison Krauss was different.

A little Zep, very little

It was a Robert Plant and Alison Krauss show, were you expecting them to play the entire Zep catalog?

Plant looked strong and voice solid

Alison Krauss nice voice

T-Bone Burnett a cross between Hunts Hall

And the guitar player in Cheap Trick.

I fail to get this comparison. It's as if you know nothing about T Bone Burnett AT ALL.

It was more carnival atmosphere and country music in my opinion.

If your a die hard Alison Krauss fan you will love it.

If your a die hard Robert Plant fan you will wonder how much longer he will keep doing this

And why........................

And get back to the Mighty Rearrange group or just tour one more time with Jimmy.

I'm a longtime Zep and Plant fan but I have no desire to see Plant return to work with the Strange Sensation (I have no idea who the fuck the "Mighty Rearrange group" is) or Jimmy Page (with or without Led Zeppelin) at the present time unless that's what he wants to do. What I would like to see is for Plant to continue to follow his muse whether it be with Alison Krauss, a return to his solo career or whatever he chooses to do. It's not up his fans to choose his career path, it's up to Plant himself. As long as it keeps the fanbase as riled up as it has I hope he continues to work with Alison Krauss for a long time to come.

why not??? he's doing it with alison...and jewel's a much better singer... B)

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and mine is that Jewel doesn't have nearly the same amount of talent as Alison Krauss and that's coming from someone that's never even been a particularly big Krauss fan. Plus, Alison doesn't have the irritating habit of yodeling or the wiggly tooth.

I think Jewel is too trivial an artist for that pairing to produce anything worthwhile. She has a pretty voice but when I'm not at the dentist's office I would rather not listen to her.

Besides, there are some legitimately good folk musicians out now like Jose Gonzalez and Joanna Newsom. I'm not suggesting either of those would be good pairings with Robert Plant; I'm just using them as examples of how this decade is producing much more interesting folk music than the last.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and mine is that Jewel doesn't have nearly the same amount of talent as Alison Krauss and that's coming from someone that's never even been a particularly big Krauss fan. Plus, Alison doesn't have the irritating habit of yodeling or the wiggly tooth.

Perhaps, but I wonder if Alison Krauss and Jewel have had the same opportunities. Would Alison have done as well if she had started in Jewel's circumstances? Talent is not the only element. Enthusiasm is just as important.

You can have a whole bunch of talented people doing a show and still have an audience that is bored to tears. Conversely, a group of amateurs who electrify and excite their audience to the point of magic, can appear to be much more talented than they really are.

Growing up in Alaska is a little different from growing up in Illinois. Alison comes from a more genteel background than Jewel's rustic one. How well would Alison have done if she had grown up in the comparative wilderness that is Alaska? If any place takes you out of your comfort zone, it is Alaska, an area that is well-known for rugged living.

Jewel did not have a mother who took her to local performances sponsored by educational institutions to help refine her appreciation of music so she could better compete in areas where audiences have more sophisticated tastes. She learned about music in a more primitive setting, bars and taverns with her father in Alaska, where Patsy Montana's swing tunes and her yodeling probably went over well with the local regulars. That is much different from the more comfortable environment that nurtured Alison. I don't recall that Alison has ever endured a poverty-stricken moment in her life.

It's interesting how people can more easily embrace country music when it becomes homogenized to appeal to their tastes, much the way that Leadbelly's blues became more accepted.

Jewel has earned her success in a more independent way than Alison has, and has probably had to learn to be more resourceful under difficult circumstances. Alison has been babied by comparison. Alison may not have had everything handed to her, but she has had advantages that Jewel never had. In that sense, Jewel is more authentically original, and Alison probably does more covers of other people's songs, whereas Jewel writes her own.

Jewel was born in Payson, Utah, the daughter of Nedra Carroll, an artist and personal manager, and Atz Kilcher, an elementary school music teacher, folk singer and social worker. Her mother is of Irish descent and her father is of Swiss-German origin. She is the cousin of actress Q'Orianka Kilcher. She spent most of her young life in Homer, Alaska, living with her father. The home she grew up in did not have indoor plumbing; it had a simple outhouse instead. She and her father sometimes earned a living by singing in bars and taverns. It was from these experiences she learned to yodel, a quality demonstrated in many of her songs. Her father was a Mormon, but they stopped attending the church shortly before she turned eight. Yule Kilcher, her grandfather, was a state senator involved in drafting Alaska's constitution for its admission into a state from a territory in 1959.

During high school, Jewel was known to spell her name "Jule" or "Juel," but she attributes this to simply playing with her name.

Jewel learned to play the guitar while at the Interlochen Arts Academy in Interlochen, Michigan, where she majored in operatic voice. She started writing songs at the age of seventeen.

For a time, she was poverty-stricken and lived in her van while traveling about the country doing street performances and small gigs. She gained some recognition by singing at the Innerchange Coffeehouse and Java Joe's in San Diego, California.

en.wikipedia.org

Alison Krauss was born in Decatur, Illinois, but was raised in Champaign, Illinois. She began studying classical violin at five years old but soon switched to bluegrass. Krauss said she first became involved with music because her "mother tried to find interesting things for [me] to do" and "wanted to get [me] involved in music, in addition to art and sports." At age eight she started entering local talent contests, and at ten she had her own band. At thirteen she won the Walnut Valley Festival Fiddle Championship, and the Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass in America named her the Most Promising Fiddler in the Midwest. Krauss first met Dan Tyminski around 1984 at a festival held by the Society. Every current member of her band, Union Station, first met her at these festivals.

wikipedia.org

Archived