Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
The Rover

Astronomy - Planets , Stars & Heavenly Bodies

1 hour ago, luvlz2 said:

I watched the first few minutes of this on Facebook...it's pretty cool...but so far away.  39 light years is inconceivable to  imagine without being able to travel light speed....that is, we haven't achieved this yet...not to say another intelligence hasn't. 

Well did anyone see the news last night and the new planets that were discovered 40 light years away?  Its fascinating.  And they are going to study these because their distance to the Orange star that is their solar system is about right to support life and hold water.  An Orange dwarf is an old star.  Red or Orange stars are very old, unlike small blues.  Blues are newer.  Orion the Hunter, a constellation in the northern hemisphere holds a star known as Beatlejuice.   A giant orange that is famous

On 23/02/2017 at 1:03 PM, zepscoda said:

I watched the first few minutes of this on Facebook...it's pretty cool...but so far away.  39 light years is inconceivable to  imagine without being able to travel light speed....that is, we haven't achieved this yet...not to say another intelligence hasn't. 

I took press conference to mean they have found a star with nine planets......which is quite something.

Getting there will take some time, until a Mr Weyland meets a Mr Yutani , we will be exploring locally I hope.......

Here is an interesting POV I heard in an interview last night....

If there is no other life in the cosmos, that pretty much means there is alien life.

Huh? I hear you say..

- well, mathematically, there IS life out there. The more Earth like planets in the goldilocks zone (far enough from star, but not too far - like our own dust ball is) are being discovered more and more - and that's just in our galaxy. In fact, it's just in the near field of our galaxy - the area where we can detect them with current technology.

This means there should be many thousands of planets similar to Earth (rocky, water probable, in the goldilocks zone). in our rather humungous galaxy (estimate is the Milky Way is home to 200 billion stars, 100 billion "solar systems" with planets)

And how many galaxies are there? THIS - is an interesting number.

SO - if in all that potential, somehow WE are the only life, it suggests (due to the ridiculous odds of this reality occuring naturally - "by chance" only the ONE TIME) that this reality is in fact a simulation or manufactured. The simulation would have been built by aliens. Therefore, if we are indeed alone, there must be aliens. :)

*The idea of a Personal God type creator - one that is not of this reality but created it, is purely a human construct so I rule that out as having nothing to do with reality. If you do not discount this, good luck to you, this post is irrelevant for you.

Anyway, I thought the comment

If there is no other life in the cosmos, that pretty much means there is alien life.

was very interesting.

Fantastic news but it really means nothing at the moment because we have no way to travel there (currently humans are not meant to be in space from a health and biological point of view) 

Just started looking in to making some plans for August's total solar eclipse across America.  I've got a favorite motel at the end of Iowa.  That would leave a 2-3 hour drive to reach the totality zone in Eastern Nebraska the next day.  2 and a half minutes is the length in most areas.  Motels and campgrounds in the zone are booking up fast.  Always wanted to see a total solar eclipse.  Don't pass up the only chance in your lifetime.    

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/preparing-for-the-august-2017-total-solar-eclipse

Besides NASA not yet having identified a planet in our Galaxy with Earth like properties, which is difficult with the technology we now have, I just realized that with all of the study of stars and their life cycles, we have yet to witness the birth of a star. Perhaps someday, the instruments may be available to see empirically, a star turning on.

Reservations have been made.  I'll be in Lincoln, Nebraska for the solar eclipse on August 21st.  Centrally located on I-80 so I can roll East or West thru a storm or cloudy skies if necessary.  Just picked up some properly rated welding glasses for the trip.  If things don't work out, I roll with it and head into Colorado for some R & R of a different sort.  In fact, I'm going to do that either way.....cuz that's the kind of guy I am.

Anybody live in the totality zone ?

On 2/24/2017 at 9:49 PM, rm2551 said:

Here is an interesting POV I heard in an interview last night....

Huh? I hear you say..

- well, mathematically, there IS life out there. The more Earth like planets in the goldilocks zone (far enough from star, but not too far - like our own dust ball is) are being discovered more and more - and that's just in our galaxy. In fact, it's just in the near field of our galaxy - the area where we can detect them with current technology.

This means there should be many thousands of planets similar to Earth (rocky, water probable, in the goldilocks zone). in our rather humungous galaxy (estimate is the Milky Way is home to 200 billion stars, 100 billion "solar systems" with planets)

And how many galaxies are there? THIS - is an interesting number.

SO - if in all that potential, somehow WE are the only life, it suggests (due to the ridiculous odds of this reality occuring naturally - "by chance" only the ONE TIME) that this reality is in fact a simulation or manufactured. The simulation would have been built by aliens. Therefore, if we are indeed alone, there must be aliens. :)

*The idea of a Personal God type creator - one that is not of this reality but created it, is purely a human construct so I rule that out as having nothing to do with reality. If you do not discount this, good luck to you, this post is irrelevant for you.

Anyway, I thought the comment

was very interesting.

:goodpost:

Spectacular Image of the Milky Way taken from the ISS

iss044e045215_lrg.jpg

"Feels pretty good up here . . ."

On 6/19/2017 at 2:08 AM, slave to zep said:

:goodpost:

We cannot see alien life and we cannot see God.  But I believe strongly that both exist for sure

Hey, I have heard Planet X or as some call it, Niberu is scheduled to slam into our lovely sphere on Saturday, September 23rd and destroy our planet. This Planet X supposedly is on one hell of an elliptical orbit which has it swing way out into the Ort Cloud and then back where its orbit takes it between Mars & Earth every 24,000 years.

Question: If this were true would we have not experienced serious gravitational forces months ago? Second, being a week away would we not see this planet with the naked eye 24/7? Third: Why do I read this shit???