Golden Haired God

radiohead33

It was "I am a Golden God" during an interview with Cameron Crowe on the 1975 tour of the USA. Anybody correct me if I am wrong.

As Cactus said above but I thought I would add, Robert Plant said this while on the balcony of his hotel room on the Sunset Strip from the Hyatt Regency Hotel ( famously known as 'The Riot House').

Lanni

i've heard that he never actually said those words.

they were just added in later, like the journalist just thought it was an apt thing to write.

i think it was on the tip of everybody's tongue at the time, but was never spoken out loud by robert.

Cameron Crowe was the writer and he was able to become one of the few trusted members of the press. As far as I am aware the quote was never disputed by Robert.

of course, he knows he's a golden god, and so do most people who come into contact with him, which is why there's really no reason for him to utter the words.

after all, what makes a god golden is not his sense of pride or his right to brag about his authority & power, because that is always already clear to those prepared witnesses.

Robert is extremely eloquent and keen with wit when he speaks, i can't really imagine him saying those words.

I figure he probably said something much more beautiful and elaborate and meaningful, to such extent that whoever was attempting to document his words during this incident basically just paraphrased what was being said-

Robert is basically saying he's like-unto-god.

I think you need to be careful about putting people on a pedestal...

Did you think of the possibility that he said it in a joking way - I have always taken it to be a joke. Like - he is making fun of the 'rock star' image by standing out on his balcony yelling down to his subjects like a complete ass. While he - and all the band - certainly have egos, I don't see Robert's ego being such that he could actually say something like that and be serious.

Robert not only said it at the time but has said it since many times - such as when asked if he thought he deserved a Knighthood, he responded that since he was already a Golden God, why would he need to be demoted?

He is extremely toungue in cheek about it. Back in the day it was kind of "Wow - look where I am and how did I get here?" - in later days it was more making fun of himself and his old image. He's very good at making fun of himself, that often goes unnoticed.

Robert not only said it at the time but has said it since many times - such as when asked if he thought he deserved a Knighthood, he responded that since he was already a Golden God, why would he need to be demoted?

He is extremely toungue in cheek about it. Back in the day it was kind of "Wow - look where I am and how did I get here?" - in later days it was more making fun of himself and his old image. He's very good at making fun of himself, that often goes unnoticed.

:lol: :lol: Well he does have a point there ;)

I think that's it - he has a great sense of humour and pokes fun at himself all the time but sadly people read into every word as meaning something way more than a funny.

Archived