O2 DVD

I don't know about the majority of the people on this board, but I for one can not stand how live shows are edited these days. All these quick edits (about every 3 seconds) turns a two hour concert into a 2 hour music video. One of the great things that I love about TSRTS is that they'll keep the camera on Jimmy during a solo so you can actually watch the entire solo.

So if/when they release the O2 dvd, please omit the quick cuts that take away from the feeling that you are actually at the concert. One of the cool things about the videos in circulation is that they make you feel like you are at the show.

I don't know about the majority of the people on this board, but I for one can not stand how live shows are edited these days. All these quick edits (about every 3 seconds) turns a two hour concert into a 2 hour music video. One of the great things that I love about TSRTS is that they'll keep the camera on Jimmy during a solo so you can actually watch the entire solo.

So if/when they release the O2 dvd, please omit the quick cuts that take away from the feeling that you are actually at the concert. One of the cool things about the videos in circulation is that they make you feel like you are at the show.

That's one of the gripes I had with the new Muse at Wembley DVD. Excellent live band, and I'm sure they were brilliant gigs but the chopping and changing got me a bit dizzy in the end :wacko:

... or they could (since it was shot on multiple HDCameras), release a regular version and special edition DVD (with multiple camera angles of the entire performance. Examples: one camera on JPJ's bass, one on JP's guitar, one on Jason's over the shoulder cam, one on Plant, one side angle cam, one close up of entire band, etc...) It would take more editing time for the final cut (general version DVD) and less time for the special edition DVD (release a synced up multi-cam version for the 2nd alternate cam version) and a bonus DVD of the rehearsals, interviews of each participant, sound engineers, etc.. as well as a special on Ahmet). Maybe include some JPJ, JP, Jason rehearsal footage of them in the studio, too (as a teaser for what's ahead)...

R B)

... or they could (since it was shot on multiple HDCameras), release a regular version and special edition DVD (with multiple camera angles of the entire performance. Examples: one camera on JPJ's bass, one on JP's guitar, one on Jason's over the shoulder cam, one on Plant, one side angle cam, one close up of entire band, etc...) It would take more editing time for the final cut (general version DVD) and less time for the special edition DVD (release a synced up multi-cam version for the 2nd alternate cam version) and a bonus DVD of the rehearsals, interviews of each participant, sound engineers, etc.. as well as a special on Ahmet). Maybe include some JPJ, JP, Jason rehearsal footage of them in the studio, too (as a teaser for what's ahead)...

R B)

Great idea about the individual options, I would also love to see a option of the band from about the 10th row.

I would love to see some soundcheck footage as they did some really interesting things in soundcheck that weren't in the show. I'd love to hear what they were doing with Fool in the Rain!

Another reason to wish for a DVD release...the extras!

Apparently Jason sang No Quarter during soundcheck and I, for one, would love to hear/see that.

But, I don't believe that we are going to get our wish anytime soon :(

R B)

yeah baby!

i also love to watch what goes on between songs, stuff like jimmy taking of his layers.......sunnies, coat, vest...........changing instruments and when they talk to eachother. its all part of a live concert.

Right on!

I agree. We know the show was filmed with HD cameras. Hopefully the boys will release it someday. Jimmy has hinted that he would like to, only when he can dedicate a sufficient amount of time to overseeing the production of the audio/video for it. I think they can make it spectacular!!!

That really is a big problem today. I don't like how the new DVD's are edited. For example Maidens "Rock in Rio" or "Death on the road" DVD.

I want to see a solo in it's entire. Not just a few seconds. Who wants to see Robert while Jimmy is playing a solo? So, IF they release the Concert, PLEASE don't edit it to much. Not so much camera cuts. We wanna see an "old school" DVD.

I would assume Dick Carruthers would be the directer of the DVD, so editing-wise, it'd probably be similar to how Knebworth was edited on the 2003 DVD. I just hope there's none of those cheesy slow-mo/zoom-in shots that they used in the Madison Square Garden and Earl's Court portions.

I would assume Dick Carruthers would be the directer of the DVD, so editing-wise, it'd probably be similar to how Knebworth was edited on the 2003 DVD. I just hope there's none of those cheesy slow-mo/zoom-in shots that they used in the Madison Square Garden and Earl's Court portions.

Dick directed the recording of the show, so one assumes he would be in on the post-production as well.

However, I believe the Knebworth and Earls Court footage was unedited. It was a straight-to-tape recording of what was mixed to be put up on the big screen on the night of the show. I'm not sure if multi-camera recordings were made. Correct me if I'm wrong.

However certainly the RAH footage was cut from a few different cameras (possibly 3?). There were 16 cameras at the O2 I believe, so definitely more options, and I would guess the final product will probably be 'dynamic' (refer to the Black Dog clip released to the media). But I think that certainly considerations would be made that people want to see Jimmy soloing, and they want a close up a-la TSRTS SIBLY.

However, I believe the Knebworth and Earls Court footage was unedited. It was a straight-to-tape recording of what was mixed to be put up on the big screen on the night of the show. I'm not sure if multi-camera recordings were made. Correct me if I'm wrong.

For Knebworth, they edited footage from both nights, and they did the same thing for Earls Court (though not from all five nights; I think it's just from the 24th and 25th). They also used some bootleg footage in Knebworth, and they altered some of the visuals in Earls Court (the grainy, zoomed in shots during the acoustic set, or the zoom-ins for Trampled Underfoot, to name a few).

That's one reason to salivate about a possible release of this, all the cameras on the stage, and the advances in audio and video since the '70s. The DVD and even TSRTS are put together from whatever was available, and hardly planned like the landing at Normandy ahead of time. This show was done right from the get-go.

I mean, I'm droolin' here... :)

R B)

I like Reids idea...but honestly I'd be happy with just about anything haha

A lot of work out and dance dvds have it set up where you can pan to a certain camera angle with a click of the remote which might keep a lot of people happy if they could focus on that one area of their pleasure ;)

There are so many possibilities with an O2 DVD... and think of all the easter eggs and hidden goodies

It is clearly something fans want and would be a must have to be added to every music fan collection....

Fingers crossed and waiting with bated breath

• 3 weeks later...
That's one of the gripes I had with the new Muse at Wembley DVD. Excellent live band, and I'm sure they were brilliant gigs but the chopping and changing got me a bit dizzy in the end :wacko:

So you were not very aMUSEd then ?? He he .

• 5 months later...
Dick directed the recording of the show, so one assumes he would be in on the post-production as well.

However certainly the RAH footage was cut from a few different cameras (possibly 3?). There were 16 cameras at the O2 I believe, so definitely more options, and I would guess the final product will probably be 'dynamic' (refer to the Black Dog clip released to the media). But I think that certainly considerations would be made that people want to see Jimmy soloing, and they want a close up a-la TSRTS SIBLY.

So let me give you some interesting info about the Earl's Court footage and the Knebworth footage:

First, at RAH there were clearly at least 3 cameras, and as a matter of fact, some alternate camera angles have been circulated since years ago. Jimmy was free to mix it all at his will.

Now onto Earl's Court, this footage originally had one problem, the different camera feeds where not recorded, only one was recorded which in turn was the one being used on the big screen, thus, what you see on the Dvd, is actually a mix of different yet similar footage taken from all over the concerts on the 24th and 25th of May, I'm happy to tell you though, that when you see 2 camera angles on the same picture (like in Stairway To Heaven) it's actually a live 2 cam mix, no mash ups or editing, here are some examples:

-Going to California: Right when Robert starts singing the first lines, you can see the same camera angle but then suddenly it changes (it's still the same) to a little closer picture of Robert, that comes from the 24th, apparently to hide Plant Breathing into the Microphone, audio on that part is patched too.

-In My Time of Dying: Before the song gets fast at about 3 minutes, there are these little drum parts before Plant sings "Well, Well, Well...", these consists of 2 Bass drum Hits and the cymbal crash, at these parts, the camera focuses on the Bass drum, the sides of Bohnam etc, these are all from Moby Dick, an easy way to tell if the angles are actually from this song, is that Bonham had green lighting all the way throughout the song, if he doesn't have, it's likely not from the song.

-Stairway To Heaven: Many, mainly at the beginning, right before the first riffing starts, you see this side shot of Jonesy, that is from No Quarter, the piano solo. Then when you see a side shot with Jimmy and Jonesy, if you see a bit of green light behind their head, that is from The Rain Song. Also when Plant sings the "And She's Buying A Stairway To Heaven" line at the end, both picture and audio are from the 24th.

Now onto Knebworth, first off, good news, all camera feeds where recorded separately, so Jimmy was free to edit the video as he wanted, the actual feed was also great, and it's the common circulating bootleg video for the entire show, now onto the bad part, Jimmy saw it fit sometimes to include some footage from the other Knebworth concert, mainly in Nobody's Fault But Mine, the video from the 4th has red Stage Lighting and the video from the 11th had blue stage lightning, should be quite easy to detect (mainly on the overhead shots).

Archived